News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Yes Gary
     You are right .    That's something that I believe in .    We are just care givers of everything that we have.  You have a nice way of putting it into words.
Jay

djfordmanjack

All of that is absolutely true. If it wasn't for previous owners and tinkerers these cars would not be here anymore for us to enjoy and play with. I have reason to believe that my 10 year old boy is going to have fun with some of my toys later on. He is passionate about tinkering and ready to go for a ride in my cars all the time so there is a chance that I am even keeping these cars alive for him to enjoy. or somebody else, who knows.
I agree we ar not simply owners anymore these days. 60 (!) years have passed since these beauties came out of the factory  and maybe the first buyer, they were really 'owners' in they took ownership of a brandnew car, that wasn't thought to outlast the next decade, nor keep rolling half a century later. I am sure most of the 1950s Ford engineers, workers, salesmen and car owners would have laughed at the thought of these cars still being around 2020 and being cared for at all.
Here's some more of caretaking. :002:
( the first 2 pics show what I have wanted to point out before, that perfect trimming and consistant gap is the utmost important thing to watch for with buttwelding patch panels).

pssgr front floors and rough layout of the patch with body mount recesses.

Interesting that huge part of the rusted floor section is still all bare metal where it was inside the floor brace !

mustang6984

Did I see somewhere in this or another thread that you had rebuilt your clock too? I have a couple, (one for each car) and I seem to remember that you "modernized" the mechanism while retaining the original "look" although with a cleaned up face and refreshed hands. Can't find the thread now. If you did that...maybe you can point me in the right direction? Or maybe you know who did it if it wasn't you. I have the curiosity...hehehehehe...see if I can do mine.
Thanks.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

No I restored the clocks to factory specs with my father being a retired watchmaker by trade. They are fairly simple to build. see here
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6705.msg56320#msg56320

mustang6984

Ah...okay...I will check that out. After restoration, do they work reliably? I seem to remember that their life-span was kind of short. Or is there something that needs to be done to them maintenance-wise that just was not done by people back in the day?
Off to bed now, 3:30 a.m. here, but I will definitely check out that thread. Thanks!  Later...Hugh

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-10 04:36
No I restored the clocks to factory specs with my father being a retired watchmaker by trade. They are fairly simple to build. see here
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6705.msg56320#msg56320
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Limey57

The hydraulic press is useful for producing the recesses for the body mounting bolts, I tried to use a vice but failed and ended up using the recesses from a baking tray welded into place.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Nice work on the pocket reproduction, DJ.
Gary, as i remember you called it a "tart tray" that you used. Over this side of the pond we had a laugh because they'd be "muffin pans" over here. I only had one to hand form...in my trunk area. Wasn't as clever as you guys. I used a big hammer over a wood form.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-02-10 08:28
Gary, as i remember you called it a "tart tray" that you used. Over this side of the pond we had a laugh because they'd be "muffin pans" over here. I only had one to hand form...in my trunk area. Wasn't as clever as you guys. I used a big hammer over a wood form.
Tart trays are quite common on our side of the pond also Rich, smaller then cupcakes. Stay out of the kitchen  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-02-10 08:28

Yep, that's one of those occasions where I learned another phrase where our languages differ!!!!  Over here a tart is a pastry filled with jam OR a lady in a short skirt & heels.  Both are eventually bad for your health...........

I used to have access to a small hydraulic press at work, it eventually failed when the seals went while someone was forming a replacement inner rocker panel (no idea who that could have been...........) and it didn't get replaced, but I have one on my "wanted list" when I see one for the right price.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Gary, the US has the same two tarts you described, no difference
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

"I have one on my "wanted list" when I see one for the right price."
Made me wonder if Harbor Freight has expanded to other parts of the world.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

another looooong day.

folding the pssgr footwell

more than 3/4 finished - Hurrah ! :001:

next area

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ecode70D

Günter
      You are a very busy guy.   Keep up the good work. 
       I'M SO HAPPY THAT YOU ARE NOT TAKING THIS CAR COMPLETELY APART!!!!!!
        Keep it so you can still drive it. 
Jay

Ecode70D

Günter
      There is something wrong with your first picture in the last batch that you posted.   That  piece of sheet metal in the background does not look like it is for a 57 Ford.  It looks like part of a 33-34 Ford
firewall.  You need to do some explaining.