News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 223 six and found one that has Ethanol compatible parts. The one on my Y didn't say but I'm assuming or hoping it is.  I blame everything on Ethanol, even if a door handle falls off  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-07-17 06:52
I just replaced the fuel pump on my 223 six and found one that has Ethanol compatible parts. The one on my Y didn't say but I'm assuming or hoping it is.  I blame everything on Ethanol, even if a door handle falls off  :003:

Ethanol is the spawn of the devil no doubt!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

yes boys, obviously it was the 3% of eveporating European Ethanol that caused the fuel pump diaphragm to shrink just somewhat. And, as hard it may be to believe, she self sealed her again  :003: Done it again !
the 97% of fresh premium gas obviously helped to soak the old rubber parts and everything is tight and back to normal as of today. Put it on the lift and retightened the 10 machine screws on the fuel pump, but not much. Still they could be tightened somewhat. Do I own a Mercury now, that the Ford's bolts have been tightened ?  :003:

Anyways, I have plenty of donor Y block pumps and winter will see one of them rebuilt with US made ethanol compatible rebuild kit.

CobraJoe

Nice DJ! How come I never have that kind of luck?  :dontknow:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hiball3985

Lucky you, I'm stuck with 10% and nothing fixes it's self.. :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

I'm glad that you boys are mentioning that about the older diaphragms.  Yesterday I was looking for some part in an old cabinet and found a rebuilt fuel pump still in the old box. I put it there about 25-30 years ago because it has the screw on filter below it.  Now I'll save it just in case the one in my Y block poops the bed. I'll just use the diaphragm. 

djfordmanjack

Jay, you have to be careful with your assumption. Usually we tend to like original old or NOS things better than replacement, but they had no ethanol in the old fuel. There are many stories where modern fuel ( including 10%+ ethanol alcohol) ruined rubber parts in pump and carb, even causing leather accelerator pumps ( as in 94s) to deteriorate quickly. Modern replacement kits offer rubber parts, even fuel bowl inlet valves and stuff with alcohol compatible rubber parts. Who knows how long these will last... We have no way of knowing what the ethanol will do to 25+ year old NOS or NORS parts unfortunately.
As I said we have less alcohol in premium gas over here, but I observed that modern fuel evaporates much quicker, than std pump gas did about 20 yrs ago. also it smells totally different these days. It does get stale ( and this is no pun intended this time). When I got the 34 out of winter storage after 6 months this spring, it wouldn't idle and definitely had limited power. She didn't like the old gas even after 100miles of road use. as soon as the old gas was used up and fresh gas filled, she purred like a kitten. This is not an opinion, I exactly observed this.

mustang6984

I have noticed the same thing. I take my Saleen out after a winter of storage...and it uses very unladylike language until I burn her tank down to about 1/2...then I top it off with new gas and she tones down the language.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ecode70D

I know what you are saying about running crummy.  I took the 40 out in early spring for inspection and topped it off with fresh gas and it continued to run nicely last week when it was driven to the Friday night cruise.  Two days ago when I took out the 34 for the first time this year, it ran like a dog until I topped it off with fresh fuel and it started to run much better.     

djfordmanjack

hot summer days. after a 95mph+ ride the wagon had to get a rest in the shade with her older sister... :002: :003:

hiball3985

Great! You are +5 mph crazier then me  :003: :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

...and 10 more than me Guenther. I cruise with mine 75-80, but on bias-ply @ 95...?..

Wait....did you mean Kilometers per hour?   :003:

Seriously, two beautiful rides, awesome pic
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

rmk57

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-08-01 16:49
hot summer days. after a 95mph+ ride the wagon had to get a rest in the shade with her older sister... :002: :003:

I have to tell you...I love your '57...but the older sister...is a lovely lady that I would like to have for a girlfriend! Oh yea!

So...short version...
Dropped a hitchhiker off in L.A. in December of '75. Fueled up the Courier, stuffed Bill Haley and the comets in the 8-track, and with "Rock Around the Clock blaring at 2 a.m. headed out on to I-5...took her up to 100 mph...with a brand new speedometer cable...and headed south to San Diego to see my mom for Christmas. Saw a car on the side of the freeway, and when I looked in my rear-view...saw headlights, bright lights, ans two spotlights. I knew I had the advantage, he was parked, so I stuffed the gas pedal down and took off. As the needle disappeared out of sight I assumed I was beyond the 120 speedometer, and I just kept going. (330 rear gears) The cable snapped, and I lost sight of the car. After about 15 minutes of that I crossed into Orange County (Anaheim) slowed down to about 75 (legal speed was 70) and made it to San Diego County with no further excitement. I had to stop and re-fuel...did so...and quietly drove to my mom's.

When I came back north...I was towing my other Courier behind the one I drove down...and did so in daylight...so that I wouldn't run into who ever was in the car that night. That car has NEVER been back to California. By now it is probably safe to go...I'm guessing that cop is probably retired by now. LOL!!! Maybe this next summer when I have it finished.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

I had a similar situation in 1968 but I got caught  :005: That afternoon I had my first radial tires installed and drove to work, I worked swing shift in a machine shop and got off at 12. I hit the I-5 in Glendale and stuck my foot in it to test them, 292 dual quads and OD. When I came off the off ramp in Burbank I had red lights behind me, the CHP had been clocking me with his lights off. It was a Dodge and had a large extra speedometer that locked at the highest clocking speed, he walked me back and showed me it stopped at 112 mph. We had a nice discussion about the new radials and cars in general and he just wrote me up for 85 mph on the ticket..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang