News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Well I didn't get far with the Ranchero drive, I ran into my friend with the wagon and we spent to much time talking :003: I' m going out today again, still have half a tank to burn off. I'm familiar with the vacuum control valve but I prefer mine, the less vacuum lines the better in my opinion :002: and the heater controls work effortlessly. I decided to replace the core while I had it apart because I blew a heater core back in the late 60's on a return trip from Las Vegas going through the desert in the winter, the windows fogged so fast I couldn't see anything and this was at 90 mph :005: I had to quickly roll the window down and stick my head out to see and  slow to find a place to stop on the side of the road. Back then Nevada had no speed limits :003:.

I forgot to post my comment on the flathead build, thats was just beautiful work :001: Do you have any problem finding people to do the machining on a flathead in your neck of the woods?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Mine was also leaking onto the new carpet within 2 weeks of assembly... luckily it started slowly and was just the rubber seal and rotted out water valve neck.  Agree with your concerns on vacc lines. I replaced all hoses and luckily everything works very well, including the double action fuel pump AND wipers.
that must have been a horrible situation with the window fogging. They probably cut down on the speed limit, because too many heaters would bust at high rpms and coolant pressure..... :002: :003:

Concerning the Flathead, yes there are machine shops that CAN do the work, but it is much safer to do as much as you can by yourself or/and assist the shop with knowledge, dimensions, torque specs. luckily the bores and bearing areas were pretty good on this one and I did the cross hone, valve lapping aso myself. Also did all the mic measuring and plastigauge myself. The engine was cobbled together form several others and the other mechanic messed it up pretty good ( metal shavings in the oil, sealant remnant in bearing feeds, mixed up rods and caps, mismatched valve guides aso...the list is too long) so I didn't trust it a bit and basically blueprinted the engine. Not for excessive power but for reliability. You probably know exactly what I mean anyways.... :001:
the block is pretty much crack free and I chose iron heads on purpose. I didn't want to mess with those old corroded finned heads. Hopefully this will last for a long time.

hiball3985

You did a really nice job on the bores :001:I thought they were new done by a shop, thats why I asked. From the amount and quality of the work you did I'm sure it will run for a long time :burnout:

I don't think Nevada changed the speed limit until the mandatory national 55 mph went into effect and ruined all the fun  :005: I haven't been to Nevada in years and a friend of mine got stopped for speeding a few years back and got an environmental ticket for wasting fuel, I don't know what the law is today?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

A few years back, I got a speeding ticket in Nevada. It was not an environmental ticket.  I don't go more than 8 over the limit there, Usually closer to 4 over the limit.
Terry

hiball3985

Quote from: terry_208 on 2020-11-07 20:07
A few years back, I got a speeding ticket in Nevada. It was not an environmental ticket.  I don't go more than 8 over the limit there, Usually closer to 4 over the limit.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

spring is nearly here, so time to get her out for a little cleaning.

djfordmanjack

Happy, Happy Birthday Baby .....!

Happy 64th !

1930artdeco

Happy birthday Guenter. And that is one sweet ride you have-the color is really nice as well. I am not much for browns (the 70?s did me in) but it looks really really good in that combo.  Slowly getting to know Betty now and see what she is/was.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

57chero

djfordmanjack,

If you go to the Portland, Oregon Craigslist for sale and put in 1957 ford and go all the way to the bottom you will find the twin to your wagon, pretty close anyway.

terry_208

She's two days older than mine!  Hope you're doing well G!
Terry

lalessi1

Happy Birthday to your sweet ride! Mine was born on May 7th.
Lynn

djfordmanjack

Couldn't find it, but there are a lot of sweet cars for sale in that area !

Quote from: 57chero on 2021-03-28 10:56
djfordmanjack,

If you go to the Portland, Oregon Craigslist for sale and put in 1957 ford and go all the way to the bottom you will find the twin to your wagon, pretty close anyway.

djfordmanjack

Ha ! Yeah I seem to rememember, Terry, we talked about this a few years ago.

Quote from: terry_208 on 2021-03-28 12:55
She's two days older than mine!  Hope you're doing well G!

Good for you Lynn, your Lady's a lot younger than our two old sisters here !....hahah....

It's warming up here so I might take her out for a birthday cruise this week !

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-03-28 14:59
Couldn't find it, but there are a lot of sweet cars for sale in that area !
"Few local results found. Here are some from nearby areas. Checking 'include nearby areas' will expand your search."
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/yelm-1957-ford-country-sedan/7294554604.html

djfordmanjack

There it is ! ( Welcome back Tom, btw !)
not too bad, and a very fair price for a running driving registered wagon !
Although it is a bit rough in some spots. When you know these cars, it is obvious there are going to be some extensive repairs needed on the body.
I think Mike's inca gold CS has a much better body.

I can't believe that the guy now has the maroon black Del Rio. That car has been around a lot for a while....all over the place...From Cali to FL to SF/CA and now in WA. :003: