News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford engine red

Started by Limey57, 2017-01-22 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Gary
     The red looks good.  I've painted a lot of my engines that color.   The important thing is that it is a good engine and transmission.   
     The color of the engine "Aint gonna git you home" .
     Don't worry about the smite.  Life will go on.   
Jay

Jeff Norwell

Yes Gary.Agree with Jay and the other guys..roll on.. Your red looks good and it's your car.....Your a talented fella.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

I've never been a 100% purist, I had a dark metallic blue 1958 and when I built the engine I painted it blue. I do what I like and don't care what others think. I think the applaud/smite thing is unimportant and I wouldn't miss it if it was gone  :burnout:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I've been hung up on 9 smites for months now...I beginning to think the smite button wasn't working any more, lol. I honestly think some/many have been using it just as a "difference of opinion" button, and I'm sure that is really it's intent and not to be construed as a personal attack.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Wow! I didn't have a clue what that even was. Jeff, I think I just smited you accidentally, I clicked on "smite" to see what it was (by your post).... SORRY!
Lynn

Limey57

On another hotrod forum I used to use, smites were seen as a personal attack and were the cause of many an argument, I'll just ignore them if no-one on here bothers about them!

Anyway, today I pushed the Ranchero outside (okay, towed it out, it's getting too heavy to push now!!!), it's the first time it's sat out in the rain!

The reason for this act of cruelty was to back the trailer in to unload the engine!  The guy rebuilding it had it for 18 months, he only works on them part time and I instructed him to take his time as while it was in his workshop I wasn't falling over it in my workshop!  It's been rebuilt carefully rather than being thrown together, everything has been cleaned, balanced and measured, a much better effort than I could have done.  I've got a set of new aluminum heads to go on, I've just got to write my shopping list for Summit, it's surprising how all the bits & pieces that are either missing or worn out adds up........

Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

You're not doing something right if you haven't been smited.

rmk57

Looks like a 302-351? What are the details on the engine and which aluminum heads did you decide on. Shipping must be a killer to England I would think.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Limey57

Quote from: rmk57 on 2017-01-29 12:03
Looks like a 302-351? What are the details on the engine and which aluminum heads did you decide on. Shipping must be a killer to England I would think.

It's a very late 1979 302 with a 40 thou overbore, the heads were the aluminum Chinese ones that are always on EBay, I bought a set through a UK seller and had them stripped & checked & they were actually very good!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Now seeing you are going to use one of the blue motors I don't know if I would paint it red, but do what ever makes you happy  :003: Your Ranchero is looking so good.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-01-29 13:01
Now seeing you are going to use one of the blue motors I don't know if I would paint it red, but do what ever makes you happy  :003: Your Ranchero is looking so good.

It's dawned on me that by the time I've fitted the aluminum heads, polished intake & timing cover, aluminized headers etc, etc, you'll hardly be able to see what color the engine block is.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Quote from: Limey57 on 2017-01-29 13:16
It's dawned on me that by the time I've fitted the aluminum heads, polished intake & timing cover, aluminized headers etc, etc, you'll hardly be able to see what color the engine block is.
Thats true. I have a general rule that when I can't decide on a color for a part it gets painted black  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-01-29 10:09
Wow! I didn't have a clue what that even was. Jeff, I think I just smited you accidentally, I clicked on "smite" to see what it was (by your post).... SORRY!

I also didn't know what a smite was and clicked it on next to my name.  Somehow I managed to give myself my first smite.   
      Now I stay far away from that smite stuff. 

Gary   Your car and your engine look beautiful.  Jay

djfordmanjack

You got to love the SBF for its reliablity. So far I have had only good experiences with 302s and I have another one (very late 65 (66) 289) in the makings. I have one of those 1970s 302s in the 34 that I bought from Jay, and it's just a terrific little engine for everyday use. One important thing though, 302s are revving and not so much torquey engines. I'd say in the ( fairly) heavy Ranchero, if you use it with a 3spd C4 it is important not to have too tall rear axle gearing. a 3.50 is probably the lowest I would go. a 4.11 with a 0.7 AOD would be a cool drivetrain with a 302.
Jay used a super cool posi 2.47 9" in the 34. The tall gearing is perfect for highway cruising. I don't know what the speedlimit is in England, but be warned that the 302 only comes to life in direct gear at 100mph+ :003:

btw, getting back on topic, why not painting the aluminium parts and make it look like factory stuff. either red or blue.

Limey57

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-01-29 16:18
You got to love the SBF for its reliablity. So far I have had only good experiences with 302s and I have another one (very late 65 (66) 289) in the makings. I have one of those 1970s 302s in the 34 that I bought from Jay, and it's just a terrific little engine for everyday use. One important thing though, 302s are revving and not so much torquey engines. I'd say in the ( fairly) heavy Ranchero, if you use it with a 3spd C4 it is important not to have too tall rear axle gearing. a 3.50 is probably the lowest I would go. a 4.11 with a 0.7 AOD would be a cool drivetrain with a 302.
Jay used a super cool posi 2.47 9" in the 34. The tall gearing is perfect for highway cruising. I don't know what the speedlimit is in England, but be warned that the 302 only comes to life in direct gear at 100mph+ :003:

btw, getting back on topic, why not painting the aluminium parts and make it look like factory stuff. either red or blue.

I thought about painting it all and even trying to get hold of and adapt some "Thunderbird" rocker covers, or making some 302 ones look like them, kinda making a Y-block lookalike out of a 302, but that's kinda cheating, so I went back to the plan of making the engine look like a 302.  The rest of the Ranchero has a "subtly modified" look so I'm going to keep the engine fitting in with that theme, along with the AOD behind it.

Our maximum speed limit is 70mph but to be honest, the top speed isn't that important, it's how fast you can get to your intended speed and the note of the exhaust that does it for me.

Regrading weights, the Ranchero isn't as heavy as it seems, having a curb weight of around 3500lbs, while the metal may be thicker than today's cars, the lack of accessories and (often unnecessary!!!!) factory extras on modern cars really whack up their weight.  My 2016 BMW has a curb weight of 3900lbs and has so many pointless gadgets that after 4 months of ownership I still haven't figured what they all do!
Gary

1957 Ranchero