News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The Texas 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2017-06-25 07:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2024-03-13 21:18I think I ran across him at a car show here in MO one day last year! I'd not buy anything from either! LOL!!!
However...I do have a couple of still on the motor FE 4bbl intakes if you are jonesing for one. I'll be using Tri-power set-ups so they are available.

Hahahahaha
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

59meteor

Jeff, I have also used the "Right Stuff" RTV for intake end seals on my FEs for many years, but lately I have switched to Motorcraft TA31, which is a gray sealer, originally developed for Ford Diesel engines, and it works very well, and unlike the Right Stuff, doesn`t require an atomic bomb to remove the intake afterwards! I have also had a couple of pinhole sepages with the Right Stuff, have to wonder if it gets some tiny air bubbles in it as it gets squeezed out of the tube. Another thing that I have experienced with Right Stuff, is in a thick application, the center never seems to fully cure. Have you considered bringing one of your 57s to the annual FE Race and Reunion, in Beaver Springs Pennsylvania? I have been twice, as a spectator, flying in from Vancouver in 2018, and from Halifax in 2022. I had planned to take my 59 in 2022, but hurt a rod bearing in the 428 shortly before, and again planned to bring it last year, but abandoned that due to a horrible weather forecast. But barring unforeseen circumstances, the 59 Meteor WILL be there this year. Over 1000 mile tow each way for me, from Nova Scotia, but Ontario looks considerably closer, unless you are way up North. As for induction, I much prefer the simplicity of a single Holley carb, although I have had factory 3x2 and 2x4 setups in the past, and I still have a pair of C5 427 Medium Riser factory Holley carbs, hanging around the garage, just in case a reasonably priced 2x4 intake ever shows up .(Not holding my breath on that!)
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

For racing, it's pretty hard to beat the simplicity and serviceability of a single carburetor/throttle body.  But for street, giving up ease of service and max performance is not the priority...it's the cool factor.  The more the stacks, throttle bodies, carburetors the better!  I've found these new, custom built carburetors are amazing.  Quick Fuel (back went they were Quick Fuel) customized and tuned my E85 carb so it bolted on out of the box with no adjustments required.  An induction dealer in Sterling Heights (Detroit area), custom built a pair of carbs for my 427 SO that dyno'ed at 550HP with no carb tuning.  Yesterday, I talked to this dealer to provide two custom 750s to feed the 700HP cammer project.  With period correct air cleaners, valve covers and manifolds, my 427s will appear age appropriate but will have the latest, greatest fuel deliver.  Multi-carbs RULE!!

djfordmanjack

Jeff..... !!! I mean.... what's going on here ? more trouble than a JD will run into on 'shinin' Saturday nights ! :003:

The 390 looks hot, I liked the 352. we already talked about hydraulic clutch throw out. it works great in British cars, they built it that way. The slave cylinder sits outside the bellhousing and operates a manual fork. Jag, MG, triumph.....they are all great. a hydro operated, moving slave cylinder INSIDE the bellhousing, next to flywheel/clutch operating @ 5k rpm..... I just don't know....

mustang6984

The early Bronco II's were built same as those you mentioned G. I had to replace one in my Bronco, easy. But the Explorers...all have them IN the bell-housing. Spendy repairs!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2024-03-15 16:23Jeff..... !!! I mean.... what's going on here ? more trouble than a JD will run into on 'shinin' Saturday nights ! :003:

The 390 looks hot, I liked the 352. we already talked about hydraulic clutch throw out. it works great in British cars, they built it that way. The slave cylinder sits outside the bellhousing and operates a manual fork. Jag, MG, triumph.....they are all great. a hydro operated, moving slave cylinder INSIDE the bellhousing, next to flywheel/clutch operating @ 5k rpm..... I just don't know....

I went to a hydraulic system in my car after a couple of issues, header clearance mostly. (Jeff, I have all the stuff you need left over). I had hydraulics in all of my Datsuns FWIW. I had issues with Mcleod so I went with Tilton. I even tried a pull type slave cylinder because of the clutch I tried and my left leg will never be the same again! I am "OK" and functional now but I still a couple of problems. I have tons of details if any one is interested..... (parts for days)
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2024-03-16 17:58I went to a hydraulic system in my car after a couple of issues, header clearance mostly. (Jeff, I have all the stuff you need left over). I had hydraulics in all of my Datsuns FWIW. I had issues with Mcleod so I went with Tilton. I even tried a pull type slave cylinder because of the clutch I tried and my left leg will never be the same again! I am "OK" and functional now but I still a couple of problems. I have tons of details if any one is interested..... (parts for days)

Just curious what headers you have that wouldn`t work with the factory mechanical clutch linkage. I have a 428 in my 59, with a Toploader 4 speed , using the factory mechanical clutch linkage. I have FPA headers, specifically designed for 57-59 Ford cars with FE engines, I only had to make minor changes to the clutch linkage, basically I just needed to relocate the Z bar lower arm inward an inch, and trim a corner from the engine side pivot bracket for the Zbar. Been working flawlessly for almost 4 years and over 5000 miles so far.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

Originally I was concerned about pedal effort and clutch selection (550 lb-ft torque) and I could see the headers required a linkage modification. I opted to use a McLeod dual disc clutch and their throw-out bearing. I also had the headers Jet Hot coated but I modified the drivers side collector for a better fit before that was done. I seem to be very good at making changes that paint me in a corner! Then the McLeod stuff did not work for me... If I had it to do all over again....
Lynn

59meteor

My 59s 428 only made 515 ft/lbs or torque, and I am using a McLeod "Super Street Pro" 11" Long style clutch, with a steel McLeod flywheel. This clutch uses a dual friction disc, and the pedal effort is no problem at all, at least for this 66 year old youngster, who also doesn`t mind the manual steering and brakes on my car. The clutch works great, and has held up fine, the few times that I have taken it to the local dragstrip, using MT slicks. At first, I had a McLeod "Street Pro" clutch, which was an all organic disc, and it would slip at the track.

lalessi1

Thanks for the info, I made a lot of decisions in a vacuum almost 9 years ago, knowing what I know now I would have done it different...(and I might!)
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

Interesting conversations guys..... Love all the perspectives.....
I "Hope" to get the engine back in this week.... need a second pair of eyes and hands from a friend Terry... great Ford man.....
so my fingers are crossed.
Rory.. I have purchased that RTV from Ford. the Motorcraft TA31..... I will keep in stock for future use. thanks for that tip.
Gasman. you're sitting on a bunch of retirement gold!..... Awesome
G,Lynn..... I prefer an external slave cylinder.. but this was gratis.. so I used it... seems to be all fine now.... but we shall see.
In the past I had the opposite issues with Mcleod.. all successful ... never used Tilton before.. but we shall see.

I will keep all informed on the next success or blunder!

gasman826

In a continuing effort to clog up your 'project' page, I have three McLeod hydraulic release bearings on  McLeod two disc clutches.  I will never do equalizer bars again (added to the long list of things I will never do again).  I've drank the Kool Aid, spent big bucks and can't go back now.  The issue I had was not with the bearing, plumbing or sizing the master cylinder(MC), it was the mounting geometry of the MC.  The first one was more than 10 years ago and there was little aftermarket support.  Getting the proper geometry was a lot of reading, trial and error and frustration but I finally beat it into submission.  I'm very pleased with the results:  I can push and hold a 1000HP rated clutch in with my arm (not very strong anymore).  On my other two, more recent projects, I have found vendor supplied clutch pedals with MC mounts built into them for easy installations.  These also eliminate the lengthy search and costs of finding rare OEM clutch pedals and equalizer bar components.  Save the OEM stuff for the restorers...they are only original once.   

Jeff Norwell

Well.. all is back together .. just need to add the ignition leads, Install the headers and fire.Hopefully later this week.

59meteor

Looks great, Jeff, where did you find that air cleaner? Is that a 352 360 HP unit? And concerning the Motorcraft TA 31 gasket RTV, be aware that it has an expiration date printed on the tube. (The TA 31 I have, comes in a short tube as used with a caulking gun). No idea what happens to it after the expiry date, but back when I worked at a Toyota dealership, we had a "campaign" (Toyota speak for a recall), for the Echo model, which consisted of tar like sheets, to be installed on the floorpan, and secured with a specific adhesive that came in tubes. I grabbed several tubes of the stuff , that was left over from the procedures, and it sat around my garage for a few years, before I decided to try some as a seam seal on my 59. The expiry date was several years prior, but the stuff came out of the tube, worked and dried just like I recall it performing when it was fresh. Maybe the TA 31 functions similarly, maybe not, I have no idea, just though you should be aware. I have a pair of valve cover spacers to instal on my 59s 428CJ, and the instructions call for using a RTV between the heads and the spacers, I have an unused tube of TA 31 that expired last December, so I will let you know how that "stale" TA 31 works out.

Jeff Norwell

Thanks Rory..I will keep the expiration date on the TA 31 in mind.
Things have come to a stall in the last 2 weeks..... work is heavy, we have our home up for sale(downsizing),... I am going to be a Grandfather in less than 3 months... and I have been battling a dead Tooth with excruciating pain in the last 2 weeks... trying to find a dental surgeon and dealing with an infection .... 
useless info.. but thats what's going on.
The weather has been horrible here.. snow and rain, cold and such.... seems the winter just will not let go.

So. this weekend I will be firing and see what happens.
Rory.... the early hard to find unicorn air cleaner from a 352-360 unit is on my treasure hunt.... the present Air Cleaner is an 57 Bird with the rear ring removed.

moving forward.