News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Courier Sedan Delivery

Started by scottymac, 2018-06-02 21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

scottymac

So here's a photo of my latest project. Got a ton of parts and starting to go thru it from ground up. Took doors/fenders off a donor car, stripped everything pretty much to metal. Cutting patch panels off donor for some trouble spots. Removed damaged floor and now replacing it with a good floor from a 57 4 door. Looks like it might work with a few modifications?? Anyone know how close it is?

Also, have 2 rear liftgates and some hardware but no clue how they're supposed to work/stay open??? Anyone have any pics? Thanks in advance, Scott

59meteor

I used to own 2 57 Sedan Deliveries years ago. On the tailgate, the top and bottom panels are bolted together, so it swings up in one large panel. Both my SDs had a track on the right side inner panel, and there was a curved arm attatched to the liftgate, with a small wheel on the other end that rolled inside the track. The track had a dip in the end that the wheel would drop down into, which would hold the liftgate up, to lower the gate, you pushed the liftgate up a bit, and then lifted up the wheel end of the arm, and lowered the liftgate once the wheel fit into the horiziontal section of track. I have seen a couple of 58 Sedan Deliveries, and supposedly some 57s as well, had a 2 section overcenter arm setup on the drivers side to hold the liftgate up. Can you show any shots of the open tailgate and inside the rear panels? Does your SD still have the steel storage compartment behind the front seat? It should have a hinged plywood door on each side.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

59meteor

This was one of my SEdan Deliveries, taken in 1979 or 1980
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

scottymac

Thank you for the info, that helps, Scott

mustang6984

Scotty...just stumbled across your thread. I have a couple of Couriers, one on the floor now being worked on.
But I saw your question about the liftgate arms, and happened to have pics of Dan Langdon's Courier. He is a member here and full of info. I went to his home about 2 years ago and shot pics of his car. These are two of the ones I shot of his arm.
The first one shows the spring which holds the arm in position when the gate is up. The 2nd shows the are fully extended when the gate is up.

Quote from: scottymac on 2018-06-02 21:30
Also, have 2 rear liftgates and some hardware but no clue how they're supposed to work/stay open??? Anyone have any pics? Thanks in advance, Scott
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

scottymac

So Here's some updates on my project. I'm winging it so if I'm heading towards a cliff please speak up!!!
I repaired the roof and shot Lizard skin sound control and ceramic insulation. Went on good, we'll see how it works

scottymac

351 Windsor done

scottymac

Patch panels welded in and tail light molded in (rough). These are 57 headlight rings welded in with fins made out of pieces

scottymac

Rack and Pinion mocked up. I give really high marks to JOHN STARKS on the Rack and pinion. Great product, easy to install and this guy could build packing crates for a living. You can contact him @ jms5477@yahoo.com

scottymac

Last update for today, rear lift gate. After lots of research, thanks to the help from friends on this site, I decided to build my own lift system. Built a mount on the drivers side, then converted the factory mount on the passenger side to look like drivers. Had to do some math and couple tries at which shocks to use but works great. Obviously not a stock car so I don't mind not using the original ugly and bulky system Ford used, plus I could never find one if I tried!! This one works great, one finger.

scottymac

1 more!  That panel needs some advertising! I like motorcycles so.... Not going to use this one but it's fun

RICH MUISE

Lots of thinking outside the box on this one............my kind of build! Could you get me a pic of the R&P  taken from the low passenger side at the joints/support area. I've got John's setup as well, but I altered the heim's support bracket, and probably shouldn't have. I'd like to see the angles your  u joints are at. One of the things I want to correct/adjust while my engine is out.
Thanks, and keep us posted on the progress.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Looks very good! You should pat yourself on the back!

So...on the tailgate...what poundage did you finally wind up settling on for your rods?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Very nice work, I like it. I also like the picture buy the tool box of the HD courier.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

scottymac

The Liftgate shocks are 85#'s each. I'd say that is the minimum if set up like I did. If I did it over I'd like 90-95# each but 85 works good.

The pick on the tool box is a quick mock up of what I think actual car will sort of look like- thus the House of Kolors candy tangerine engine color

Here's a pick of the worst job so far- Courier had no floor so I had a 4 door sedan so I took that good floor out and put it in the sedan (sort of fit!), with a few patches. Will finish that on the rotisserie when I get it on there. Gave a lot of blood on that job. Also needed a new tunnel to acomodate the WC T-5 tranny.

Rich please explain again which angle pic you would like, thanks, Scott