News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

djfordmanjack

Interesting observation Jay !
filler necks on cars are on correct side, so not an inverted slide. als pencil note on photo bottom is right side up.

Joe what do you mean by quote '53' road to tomorrow....
Car heading our direction is clearly a 39 Merc and other cars also apear to be 38-40 ( 39) Fords or Mercs.

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2021-01-05 06:57
That picture looks like it must be across the big pond somewhere.  The traffic is going in the wrong direction.

CobraJoe

Sorry DJ, typo on my part, I copied and pasted my name for the picture "#53". It should be 1939 The road to Tomorrow.

"The Road of Tomorrow," Ford Exposition, New York World's Fair, 1939

Ford Motor Company was a major participant in the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. In addition to viewing educational demonstrations and exhibits, Ford exposition visitors could ride in brand-new Ford automobiles along the Road of Tomorrow. Befitting the fair's "Building the World of Tomorrow" theme, this conceptual highway experience suggested modern techniques for safer, quieter, and more efficient roadways.

The "Exposition" has four main divisions: the Entrance Hall, the Industrial Hall, the Garden Court, and "The Road of Tomorrow." Each of the first three demonstrate in graphic style some significant phase of the company's work, showing how mass production of automobiles at moderate cost has contributed to a new way of life. The Entrance Hall is dominated by a series of striking exhibits. The first car Henry Ford built will be seen with current models of Lincoln-Zephyr, Mercury and Ford V-8 cars. "Everytown" is a large three phase map activated on a series of synchronized prisms, depicting the changes the automobile has wrought in our country. A huge activated mural by Henry Billings shows how the basic sciences are utilized by industry. Outstanding in the adjoining Industrial Hall is the "Ford Cycle of Production.'' A revolving turntable 100 feet in diameter, it contains 87 exhibits showing the progression of raw materials from earth to finished cars. Industrial Hall also offers various exhibits demonstrating Ford manufacturing methods.

The stainless steel Sculpture of Mercury by Robert Foster floated over the main entrance to the "Ford Exposition". Foster designed the U.S. Petroleum Industry stamp (Scott 1134) of 1959.

But the more striking feature of the building's exterior was the half-mile spiral ramp on which visitors rode in Ford-model vehicles as a part of the Road of Tomorrow attraction. The ramp surrounded the Garden Court, a beautifully landscaped courtyard where fairgoers could partake in a picnic lunch, listen to a musical performance, or just relax and people watch.

The popular highlight of the exposition was The Road of Tomorrow, demonstrated by the long queue lines that overlooked the Garden Court. Here's how our trusty guidebook described the attraction:

From a broad mezzanine you embark on your wondrous trip over '"The Road of Tomorrow." The winding course takes you through a tunnel lined with murals depicting ultra-modern highway construction, circles the top of Industrial Hall and through still another tunnel high in the nave of Entrance Hall. Descending at last to the second floor level, you circle Garden Court and return to the mezzanine and the end of a thrilling and delightful adventure.

Granted, this "thrilling adventure" did not rival the 65 mph speed of Test Track, but it was certainly entertaining in its day. In fact, Test Track would have been far cooler had the speed ramp circled a public area much the way "Road" surrounded the Garden Court. Instead, it exposes guests to some fairly unattractive backstage scenery.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

djfordmanjack

Joe, another thanx a lot for that extended description of the 39 world fair. The pictures are so utterly interesting and beautiful. Now we could go on and on again asking what has become of style and taste these days....probably not worth the discussion anyways. Instead of going on a modern day 2 month seacruise, I dream of just being able to go back in time and attend the 34 Chicago world fair ( or this 39 NY exhibit) for an afternoon. that would be my favorite holiday destination....imagine seeing those stunning exhibits and all those freshly painted, gleaming and roaring brandnew V8 Fords...... you must be proud of your sweet 39 Cpe !

CobraJoe

Thanks DJ; I'm with you, I'd love to go back and be able to spend a day in certain periods of time (with the necessary funds!) and drive a factory fresh 1908 Model T, or a 1930's Duesenberg, or a 1930's Auburn Speedster, or maybe a 1937 Lincoln-Zephyr Coupe, or even a  1956-'57 Continental  Mark II, or how about a 1965 R Code Mustang, and 1965 427 S/C Cobra, or a 1968 Shelby GT500KR Convertible, while I'm their I'll take a 1969 Mustang Boss 429......

Sorry, I get a little excited sometimes.....

....and yes, I absolutely love my Coupe!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

hemidave

CobraJoe

hemidave

hemidave

CobraJoe

hemidave

hemidave