News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

NOS Source Info & Side Panels

Started by 57AGIN, 2008-08-04 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Hi All:

I was busy this weekend cleaning out my garage, LOL and I found some items that had been left in the trunk of my 57 when I bought it.  I set them aside and over the years they got kind of buried.  There was a complete carpet (Grey) for a 57 and a pair of the fiberboard side panels (also grey).  I don't want to toss them and I sure can't use them, so they are free to any one interested in picking them up or meeting me some where reasonable close or at a car show we are both attending (Southern California area).

I also came across some samples of NOS upholstery that were available from a company out West.  These samples include headliner, seat upholstery and fabric welt materials.  I have no idea if these materials are still available (I don't even know if the firm is still in business), as I bought the car in 1998 and one of the memos from the company said to hurry an order as they were starting to run short of some materials.  I'll be happy to mail these samples to who ever is interested in them, just let me know.

The samples and the other materials had been mailed to the guy I bought the car from in San Bernardo, CA.  Evidently he was planning on restoring the car to original, and then he painted the car Turquoise over White and put it up for sale.  I think he realized that to return the car to original condition would require more than he was willing to invest.

Bob
57AGIN

JPotter57

Dang Bob, I'd like to have the carpet, too bad I'm 2000 miles away....:(
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

All is not lost, as yet.  If no one out here in the West claims the carpet, I'll bring it with me or you can pick it up when we finally meet up.  Either in your area or mine.  I just want it to go to some one who can use it.  The carpet is still boxed in the carton it was shipped in, but the top 4 or 5 inches was not enclosed, so it probably needs cleaning.  I don't think it has faded, as it has been in my garage for the last 10 years, buried under other stuff.

Bob
57AGIN

Lou

I would be interested in the all the upholstery samples.  I will glady pay shipping, my hotmail address is vehicleone.

57AGIN

Lou:

Sounds good to me.  Here is my email address:

rlee@ovsd.org

Get in touch with me & I'll get them mailed out.

Bob
57AGIN

Lou

E-mail sent, thanks Bob....

57AGIN

Lou:

Samples will arrive by "snail Mail" sometime next week.  I mailed them out last night.  They have all the original correspondance between the guy I bought the car from and the vendor.  Hope they prove useful, as you can see I didn't have much use for the original in my 57.

Bob
57AGIN

cool57

What seat is that in your car Bob?

57AGIN

Cool 57:

The front seat is a Glide Engineering (excuse me 57 C _ _ _ y seat) adapted by my upholster to the different floor mountings in the 57 Ford.  I wanted to be able to insert my 10' surfboard into the car and not have to use surfboard racks gripping the rain gutters (messes them up badly).  The Glide Engineering split bench seat with arm rest reclines back nicely as well as bends forward more than most stock seats.  Besides, when I drive to go surfing or to car shows early in the morning I like a nice cup of coffee & the arm rest is a necessity.  It sure beats hot coffee spilled while trying to hold the cup between the legs & shifting the 4-speed.

The back seat is a custom made fold down seat so I can slide the board from the trunk over the folded down rear seat & onto the laid back front seat.  Since I live near the coast and most of the car shows I attend are local, I use a surfing theme and show the car with a surfboard (long board of course) inside to carry off the theme I used as a teenager, when I had my original 57 Custom 300.

Bob
57AGIN

PS:  I found I can also fit my surfboard inside my 2008 Shelby GT in the same fashion.  But, I can't take my son surfing with me in it as it will only hold i board.  My 57 holds two boards and a passenger.

cool57

Very cool! How did you construct the rear seat?

57AGIN

Cool 57:

A picture is worth many words (1,000's).  So Here are a few taken during the upholstery work, it will take a couple of replys due to size limitations, but here goes.  First set are shots of the Glide Engineering construction at their factory (yes, I actually saw my seats being made).

Bob
57AGIN

57AGIN

Cool 57:

Here are some shots of the rear seat construction by the upholster.

Bob
57AGIN

57AGIN

Cool 57:

Finally, here are some shots of how they are used.

Bob
57AGIN

Lou

Bob...I got sent out of state by one of my insurance clients. Talked to my wife today she said a package arrived from you Monday. I will be home late Wed and will send you a check for your trouble as soon as i can...Many thanks....Lou

57AGIN

Lou:

I sure hope you can put the samples to good use and that the companies are still in business.

Bob
57AGIN