News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Not mine, but wish it were!!

Started by Wirenut, 2020-01-28 05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

RICH MUISE

Yes it is.....strange advertisement......a half dozen pics of the hood (best left closed on this one)....no pics of the interior or underside. Not sure what's under the hood, but certainly not the d or f code I was expecting to see at that price.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Looks like a BBC.  Cant find the barfing emoji.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

fdlrc

It took a second for me to understand your comment Rich, about keeping the hood closed. I need another cup of coffee.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

mustang6984

Quote from: rmk57 on 2020-01-28 09:46
     Looks like a BBC.  Cant find the barfing emoji.

Well...this sure shoots down the comment that it the best '57 n existence..."Ample horsepower is provided by a GM ZZ572/620hp big block sporting a Demon 850cfm carburetor, Tru Trac serpentine drive, Flex-a-lite cross-flow radiator with dual electric fans."...cause it is not! Not with that thing between the rails!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Wirenut

Sorry guys. I did not notice the bowtie on the oil filler cap, or read any details until your comments. I thought it was a coyote engine.
Ill need to pay more attention, I'd have to get tarred and feathered!!! 

mustang6984

Quote from: Wirenut on 2020-01-28 17:57
Sorry guys. I did not notice the bowtie on the oil filler cap, or read any details until your comments. I thought it was a coyote engine.
Ill need to pay more attention, I'd have to get tarred and feathered!!!

Well...I didn't look at the pics...just read the narrative. Sure isn't worth the asking price. Maybe $10k...and then I would pull that mouse out of there and put an FE in it! I just happen to have an extra block and tri-power that would fit right in there! Could repair the damage real quick!

Who ever put that in there ought to have his hand amputated!   :angry7:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

10k?? Honestly Hugh?? I'm gonna input my 2 cents only because I've seen it so many times on almost everything that's come up for sale..........I think your estimates on what things are worth are more realistic for the 80's. You probably can't get a bare body brought back to life for much less than 10k with today's cost of panels, paints, etc etc.......if you do the work yourself. I probably have over 2-3 k in rubber components alone! I've turned down 35k for mine without even thinking twice.
I suspect it's been a good many years since you've restored a car.
I often wonder how much guys are paying to have their stuff done........Les's interior..........Jeff's bodywork, etc etc I remember when Bob Lee (57AGIN) was having his repaired after an accident, he commented the insurance company had paid out over 75k and counting.
Certainly don't mean to offend, Hugh, I just think it's detrimental to the value of our cars to be throwing unrealistic numbers out there.  :burnout:

Ford Blue blood

Going to agree with you Rich.  I do most all my own work, just paint on the Ranchero is already at the $2.3K level and I still have to buy the base and clear for the body.  Those dollars include filler, paper and the bed liner.  Rubber for the car is at$1.2K and the Ranchero doesn't have as much as passenger cars.  Both the 58 Edsel and the 65 Bird have over $2K in rubber and felt.  I was "lucky" as the sheet metal on the Ranchero was really pretty good, only $800 in panels plus some scrap sheet metal to make several small patches.

To this point the Ranchero has right at $10K in it including the purchase price.
The 58 Edsel has $12.5K in it, interior was nearly completed.
The 65 Bird has $11K in it, interior needed no work other then cleaning.

Can't even begin telling how many man-hours are in each, but it is my only hobby.  I don't hunt, fish or chase little white balls around the pasture.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mustang6984

While I said what I did as a slam on the bow-tie motor I admit the body is nice. And yea it is worth more. I agree. I wouldn't pay more than that though for a car desecrated with that motor in it. Just being mean probably.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

I have to agree about the cost of panels. I estimate about $10K on the body/frame and haven't bolted anything back together, not even the body shell back onto the frame.

Terry

59meteor

It really is a great looking car, although I would prefer the stock tail light configuration. Likely selling at a loss for $89,000, but the Chevy engine is a major turn off for a true Ford guy. Funny how so many people say that they use a Chevy engine because "it`s cheaper", but this car was obviously built with a pretty healthy bankroll.  I`m a FE guy, and yeah, they can be kinda pricey, especially with 427 and 428 engines, but I really doubt the money spent on that BB Chevy would not have covered an equally stout 460 based Ford engine. I am sure the Chevy engine will severely limit the cars appeal to many people.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

That engine in there must be worth quite a few bucks to the GM guys.......should be enough to cover a healthy FE replacement, or at least a good portion of it.

fdlrc

If there is quality in work, a reliable runner and fun to drive; I would have no problem driving or owning it. Of course, if the price is right. I wouldn't have an issue owning a 32 Ford powered by a 53 hemi either.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

thumper

Well-----I looked at the pics and read everyone's comments, so, as an oldtimer ( 81 this April ) And a 57 lover. With no argument this is a beautiful car, judgment being made without seeing the whole car, I really do not understand what market this would appeal to? Especially when the asking price is what it is. To me, the builder was not thinking too clearly about who a customer might be. I agree with the comments pertaining to the cost of parts and labor, however, if this is being done for re-sale some thought should be given to the buyer of the product, in this case a 57 Ford lover would be totally turned off when they opened the hood and saw the Bow-Tie and other items. As it sits, 40K/45K. If a true 57, 80K/90K 
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT
2018 Ford Fusion EcoBoost (Wifes car)