News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

road trips and shows........where ya'll going?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2020-02-26 20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Quote from: rmk57 on 2020-03-02 10:52
  Rory, are taking your 59, Fairmont and all the rest when make the move or just down sizing? Good luck with your move.
Randy, been liquidating lots of parts, and pieces, but plan on bringing all the vehicles along. I have a pair of NOS Boss 429 fender decals that I bought 40 years ago, if you are interested.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

Thanks for the offer, but I doubt I'll ever get around to painting it. The decals would have to be black for a Grabber orange car. Good news I see there are two drag strips their, bad news is their only 1/8 mile. better than nuttin I suppose.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Randy, both the dragstrips I visited during our 3 week holiday in the Maritimes last year were 1/4 mile, Greenfield Dragway near Liverpool Nova Scotia, and Miramichi Dragway in Miramichi New Brunswick are 1/4 mile strips. I have not been to the Cape Breton strip yet, so not sure how long that track is. We did check out the Eastbound complex in Newfoundland, that is a 1/8th mile IHRA strip.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Wirenut on 2020-03-01 19:15
Rich, I'll be at the Good Guys the 14th, Are you going to have your car in the classic display area?
Kerby..I'm 95% sure I'm not going...chance of rain/thunderstorms is 70-80% Friday and Saturday in DWF.
Thought about going to the Tri State show in Denver until I checked the weather there...90% chance of snow Friday! Ain't going there either, lol. Oh well, maybe just a roadtrip where the sun's shinin'..........or stay home and go to a free Amarillo NSRA inspection they're doing on Saturday at Lloyd Tripplet's garage, which is just around the corner from Pat Fleishman's dad's garage. I need to get my "safety 23" inspection sticker renewed. I do need to get under the car an adjust my e-brake before that.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

10/4 Rich, thanks for letting me know. I?m planning on going, I?m hoping the weather is not too soupy. 

RICH MUISE

Haha, I may still change my mind.forecast improved a little bit, and with all the virus related cancellations going on, this may be the last big one going on for who knows how long.
PM me your phone number in case I go.
Goodguys next event in Scottsdale was cancelled today, nsra had cancellations as well. There's a thread going on in the Hamb about the virus' effects on our hobby, with a bunch of cancellations listed.
Be safe...stay your distance.

Wirenut

I decided not to make the trip after another check on the forecast. Friday morning check was showing a few hours with a break but mostly rain. I called the organizer and they said they had some  vendors cancel on them but not a lot.  I was afraid of getting there and more cancellations and not many cars showing up. I will plan on the one in September.

RICH MUISE

That was a good decision as the City of Fort Worth mandated they closed down at 1pm Friday. Aside from the virus thing, It was raining heavily all morning Friday, and the tunnel under the racetrack was flooded. I got this info from an Amarillo man who went down on Thursday with his fingers crossed. He actually got into the area early, but said he only saw about 30 cars.....far cry from the normal 2000+.

Ace Spades

Rich,, if you take that trip to Santa Fe take side trip to Taos if you have the time. Nice drive up a long a meandering stream into town. Taos is a nice little town.The Colorado River Gorge is a breathtaking sight. And the view of the mountains towards the Ski Valley Ia awesome.
As for shows for me, it's going to be strictly local ones for me this year. Unfortunately, car show season parallels dirt track season. I'm already behind the power curve there, lol. One year, I'd love to get back up to Louisville for the NSRA show in August. Me and my late wife would go every year for the 4 days and enjoy all we could. Even tho we lived only 40 miles we'd stay at the Fairgrounds to make the most of our time. 
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

SkylinerRon

Rory,
We know about that 8 mpg, that's what my buddy's Excursion gets while pulling the Airstream. It picked up about 1 mpg from pulling a boxier Holiday Rambler and the Airstream is about 1500 lbs heavier.

Have a great trip, hope this covid stuff is over by then so things will be open for you to see.

Good luck,

Ron B.

Ford Blue blood

Went to a NSRA Appreciation even yesterday, right at 125 cars.  Mostly the greying crowd, not but one person did the "fist bump" thing, everyone else was warm and friendly, shook hands.  Only talk was about how "freaked out" the rest of the world is.  Got the 36 "Safety 23" inspected and got the sticker. 

Little funny, one of the door prizes was a four pack of TP and a can of Lysol.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Haha........now that's a useful doorprize.
I did an NSRA thing yesterday as well, but it was an inspection thing at a local long time hot rodder's shop. I got my safety 23 sticker as well. The crew chief was really interested in my engine choice with tons of questions. We also had a long talk about the merits of Ron Francis wiring to replace the Painless wiring the po used and has issues with.
There were about 40-ish cars there, not much handshaking, but a ton of elbow bumps. They had a nice barbque with free food.

Ace:...I did the trip to Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Taos/Red River a week or so ago. Yes, the highway that runs along the river is pretty scenic, and really neat in the summertime when all the rafters are out. That "meandering stream" is not the Colorado River, btw, it's the Rio Grande. The Colorado River does not go thru New Mexico. It is the river I70 follows thru Glenwood Springs andGrand Junction into Utah then Arizona. It is the border between Arizona and Ca. (Hoover Dam).
I do car shows in all 4 cities I mentioned, but the Taos one hasn't been done for 3 years now. This year, I took a different route to get from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Instead of interstate 25, I took a beautiful mountain road from Tejeras north to Santa Fe. It runs along the mountain crests overlooking the valley that I25 runs thru. Beautiful scenery.

57chero

Here in Portland Oregon the 64th Annual Portland Roadster Show has been cancelled for next weekend, the cast from Iron Resurrection was suppose to be here. Also the biggest swap meet on the west coast, there motto "Always in April" Portland Swap Meet is also cancelled 3,500 vendors and over 50,000 spectators from Canada and the western United States, They also closed all the schools till further notice, pretty much the same in Washington State. So far any show ,cruise in or swap meet has been cancelled into mid April.

terry_208

The Boise Roadster Show, this weekend 13-15 March, was also cancelled.
Terry

gasman826

Cancelled our spring trip.  We didn't want to get stuck somewhere and were concerned about carrying something to our family.