News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

boat anchor

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2021-01-24 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

lbeen talking alot on facebook lately,  a guy has this nice 51 ford,   only thing wrong with it is,    has chev motor in it,  and i told the guy,  hay,  you have a nice car, but,  it has a boat anchor in it,    i know its your car and you can do what ever you want,  but,  chev motors do NOT mix,  should hav heard some of the flac i got,  or am i just TO OLD SCHOOL?

RICH MUISE

He was probably short tempered because he's been hearing it so much. I can't understand the guys who do it "just to piss off Ford guys", and then wonder why they get so much negative feedback when they show or try to sell it. You've got to be eliminating 75% of the potential market.
I even get some with guys looking at my car, until they realize or are told it's NOT an LS motor. The 4.6s with efi look similar to some of the earlier LSs.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2021-01-24 17:11
lbeen talking alot on facebook lately,  a guy has this nice 51 ford,   only thing wrong with it is,    has chev motor in it,  and i told the guy,  hay,  you have a nice car, but,  it has a boat anchor in it,    i know its your car and you can do what ever you want,  but,  chev motors do NOT mix,  should hav heard some of the flac i got,  or am i just TO OLD SCHOOL?
I'm old school with you  :003: No Chevy in a Ford.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

From the little research I had done a small block Ford swap into a 49-51 Ford the biggest obstacle is the steering linkage / crossmember. Apparently a late model Mustang double hump pan

clears the steering linkage and cross member, a repop pan is around $40 on ebay. The swap pictures I've seen with a sbc they've notched the pan or trimmed the cross member.

I'm not sure it's to piss anybody off, it's a mentality that has been droned into hot rodders for 60 years that this is the best way to go, no matter what.

I had this discussion a couple days ago on the Hamb on this same swap, and gave them my perspective and pissed off a few people.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

1930artdeco

I can't remember if the guy is here or on the HAMB but he has a 36(?) Chevy with a BB ford in it. He apparently gets lots of flack for it. Of course he loves it :003:

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

The ONLY time a Chev motor belongs in a Ford is when it is in the trunk of said Ford...on the way to the marina to be sold to someone looking for a boat anchor!

So...no...not wrong. (I won't even CONSIDER voting for ANY Ford at a car show with one of those things between the rails...if that is all there is in the class...then I skip that class and move on.)
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Same here, if I see a Ford at a show or the dragstrip, with a non Ford engine, I just walk on by. Same thing at a people choice judged car show, I don`t care how nice the rest of the car is, if there`s a Chevy engine under the hood, I will not give it a vote. And if it`s say, a Hot Rod class, and ALL the prewar Fords have Chevy engines, I don`t vote for anything in that class. I have had these Chevy in a Ford people say it`s because "A Ford costs too much to build", but they already have well over 100 Grand in their half breed Hot Rod.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Those that say that..are sloshing with bilge water too. They just don't want to admit they are followers instead of doers.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Same here, and I've seen it my whole life and have always hated it and always heard the same money thing..... I've always been a Ford in a Ford guy, although I can get buy when someone tosses in an occasional Hemi.    :002:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

thomasso

Or a nail head.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

With me it's anything fat fendered....48 and older, I don't mind seeing a Cad, Olds, or Buick in them, it's just what we grew up with. And yeah, a Hemi goes without saying.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lou

In the late 50s and early 60s a chevy in a 51 and earlier Ford was a common swap, it was almost a bolt in deal. I had a 41 coupe and my best friend had a 51 convertible with 55 T-bird 292 in them, both cars were really hard builds and would have been impossible had I not the use of a machine shop.

59meteor

Lou, that may well be, but this isn`t 1962 anymore. The 289-302, 351W&Cs, FEs and 429-460s all would be good choices, and in the right car, like a 57, a Y Block is a valid choice as well. The 289-302 is quite a bit narrower and lighter than a SB Chev, and although slightly longer, they don`t have the rear mounted distributor  to hit the firewall. Its certainly not like SB Fords are rare or hard to find, and there is a huge amount of aftermaket support available as well. No need to bastardize a Ford with some many blue oval choices out there.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

brushwolf

Yeah, it was common with the Chev V8's before SBF became more thoroughly developed and widely available, and fully supported by the aftermarket.  But, that was the thing that started it all. Find the biggest motor (Cad, Buick, Pontiac) and put it in a very light car, whatever brand.

I happen to have a 51 Victoria project car also, but doubt I will ever get to it. But, if I do, I have an 89 Mustang 5.0 HO runner sitting on an engine stand that would look to be the easiest fit. Have heard of people using Y blocks with truck pans, but have not done it. 

That said, I once bought a nice-running rusty 76 Cadiilac with a 500 in it. Pulled it with transmission to install in an 83 Buick Regal. Due to living in town and limited space, I set the engine and transmission in the empty engine bay of my 57 to reduce garage clutter. I was amazed how well it seemed to fit (other than motor mounts). Pan drop in front, no steering issues it appeared... But, I got over it and did put it in the Regal for my 16 year old son. Very torquey motor that was...

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird