what engines are you folks running when using Aerostar springs?

Started by Flyby, 2021-03-22 15:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyby

Hi My 57 country sedan has the 312 in it and I was looking at switching to aerostar springs. Question is when you look at the regular unloaded height of standard coils on front and the unloaded height of the aerostar springs there is quite a difference. I plan on keeping my 312 but it just seems like the aerostar spring would not be enough to keep the front out the pavement. What motors are you folks running when using them?

djfordmanjack

I have a 292 2V + Fordomatic and using Aerostar coils in the 4dr wgn. Had to remove the lower bump stops and obviously realign for proper camber/caster, but other than that no problems at all. The suspension will only bottom out at most severe speed bumps other than that it handles great with nice smooth ride.
Check my build thread if you like:

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6705.msg58544#msg58544

lalessi1

I have a 428 FE with a Toploader, A/C and power steering. I am running with a 1/2" spacer on the Aerostars. Without a spacer there was little suspension travel. Spacers at the spring will raise the car height almost twice their thickness. I put 3/4" spacers at first.....
Lynn

Flyby

well it sounds like I wil be ok with the aerostar springs. what I have in there right now is I believe cut down stock springs and thier height unloaded is 13 inches. I have maybe 3/4 of a inch between bump stop and frame and every little thing in the road like the cracks in the roads here in Arizona from the heat you fell alot. The aerostar springs are only like 11.65 inches unloaded height which is even lower then what is in the car. I can see where adding a spacer would help. Just hate to buy the Aerostar springs and find out that the bump stops are touching the frame. I appreciate the info and everything.  thanks

djfordmanjack

Not sure if you read above said correctly. YES. the rubber bump stops either need cut down or removed with using Aerostar coils!
once removed, I feel that my 292/Fordo equipped Country Sedan has enough suspension travel left for a comfortable ride.
I used rubber spring insulators/spacers on the Aerostar coils.

Flyby

Thanks for the info I got ya on the bump stops. Just got off phone with global west about thier spacers and they tell me they wont work for my application. where did you get your spacers and name brand if you know. Much appreciated.

djfordmanjack

I used the factory Aerostar rubber insulators.
I am sure Lynn will come up with what he used.

1930artdeco

Slightly off topic question about front springs. I still have the stock springs which I assume are toast-along with the rest of the front suspension. If I want to stick with stock spring height where si the best place to get them? Just not sure about aerostars and shaving bump stops. Or can I get a taller one? Looking to keep the same ride height.

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

hiball3985

Quote from: 1930artdeco on 2021-03-23 13:40
Slightly off topic question about front springs. I still have the stock springs which I assume are toast-along with the rest of the front suspension. If I want to stick with stock spring height where si the best place to get them? Just not sure about aerostars and shaving bump stops. Or can I get a taller one? Looking to keep the same ride height.

Thanks,

Mike
Eaton Detroit.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

brushwolf

Of the many Old Fords I have dismantled, idt I have ever found a broken coil. Your old one's may still be fine. Only engine I ever installed that the 57 springs can't handle was a 430 Merc. MEL motor.. Heaviest production car motor ever made I think. Even a 460 is lighter.  But, I still have a soft spot for the old MEL series. Three of them in my pole building. Two 430's and a 462.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Oops, your's were previously cut I just noticed. Even a used set would probably be fine..
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

lalessi1

Here is a link to the spacer info. I used aluminum spacers that fit on the bottom of the spring.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=8110.0
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: 1930artdeco on 2021-03-23 13:40

Thanks,

Mike
I bought a new set of front coils for my 59 from Eaton Detroit, and installed them early last year. I was not looking for a lowrider, or any reduced suspension travel at all, and I am very happy with the springs. My old springs were not broken, or showing any noticeable problems, but I figured after 60 years, they earned a rest. Plus I was installing new leaf springs, all the ball joints, control arm bushings, F&R shocks, rebuilt steering box etc, just didn`t seem like a good idea to put the 6 decade old springs back in with all the new stuff.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

suede57ford

S10 spring are taller and would not require spacers like the Aerostars.   The S10 spring can be trimmed to get the exact height you want combined with a reasonable amount of spring travel.    Your box auto parts stores carry them and they are nearly the same price as the Aerostar, which I never recommend for our heavier '57-'59's because they are just too short to drive without losing too much suspension travel.    I prefer the # SP08275 S10 V6 springs combined with granada (drops 1") or equivalent spindle with around 3/4 coil removed for small block car with auto and ac and trim the lower bump stops to about half the original height.   This will give you a low front, but still ride and drive very well. If you want it a little higher only remove 1/4 to 1/2 coil before installing The front shocks #34831 off mid-seventies cheby van are a great thick shaft HD shock that really keeps the springs under control with our weight of cars.   The new 7/8" 2161 front sway bar which mounts like the original, combined with trimmed S10 springs and the HD shocks give a modern car ride and handling.

You need to consider that highway speeds now are greater than ever and it is important to have a vehicle that is safe to travel in.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Flyby

Well I pulled the trigger this mourning and ordered the Aerostar springs and really researched on the spacers. Ended up finding that there were some bmw spacers that fit the Aerostar springs pretty good and are made by Whiteline part number w72043. They only have a id of like 2. something but od is just a little bit over the od of Aerostar springs. They should fit good and wont have to worry about spring coming off them. I will use the spacers at the top of springs. I will let everyone know how this works out. My front bump stops were only like 5/8 inch off frame with the old either cut or heated coils in it. So I am hoping that with these springs and spacers it may bring her up a bit and if I have to I can cut a little bit of bump stops but would like to keep some of it.