News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Anybody ever do a straight axle in a `57?

Started by JPotter57, 2008-10-20 22:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

If you have pics, post them here.  I am interested in seeing some old 60s style `57s...I already have the 1970 issue of Rod and Custom with Riki Kriegers B/Gas 57, so dont post that one.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Geofordman

I too am looking at doing a Gasser style '57. I built a model of one and I still have it on my desk. I am wondering if I should go with raised stock suspension or a straight axle. The rest of the car will be drag race stripped and powered by a stroked 460. This pic I found on the internet I beleive it is from Ontario, Canada and I don't have any other info. but I love it!

robhaerr

Geofordman

Awesome Gasser vids. the teardrop hoodscoop and straight axle....soo right. And the sound of that Wagon makes me weak in the knees! As for my model, I'm not sure I had such good taste in colours back then?

JPotter57

I am thinking about doing mine with raised stock suspension, since I dont know if I would want to leave it that way.  I really like the look of it a lot, but I am so "back and forth" on what I want to do to the car....I can get an Econoline axle for it, but the car sits pretty high as it is with stock suspension.  Sort of like Tom's 58, maybe a little higher in front.  My rear springs are in good shape so it sits fairly higher thatn this one in therear too....Check it out.  I still may get the Econoloine axle since it is a good deal..
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Not really interested in this look..
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

This is fairly close to what I have in mind, maybe not quite so high, and def. a little higher in back.  And I won't be cutting my quarters out, as mine are in really nice shape...
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

This last one is a Brand X car, I saw it at the Gulfport Dragway during Cruisin the Coast.  Though it was a bowtie, it was my favorite car of the day...It sits right, and the car just screams cool....Sorry about the quality, its just a cell phone pic, forgot my camera..
Old, loud, and fast.

Geofordman

Well I'm getting closer I just bought a '63 Econoline and I'm gonna strip out the straight axle and rearend (it's a 9"and it's got 4.00:1 gears) I figure to build a completely new front clip on an extra frame I have out of 2x4 tubing and this will allow me to pick what width it is (same as Econoline) and also allow me to pick my ride height(not too high). The Econoline truck I got also has a front sway bar which I believe I will  incorporate into my car to help a little with cornering.

JPotter57

This is with the stock front suspension.  I like the look, maybe another inch or two would look good, in my opinion anyway.  Got the axle on the way.
Old, loud, and fast.

Geofordman

The tale of the tape: The track width of an early Econoline is 60 1/2 inches,'57 Ford is 58 1/2 inches, (so far so good).   The springs from the Econoline are 46 1/2 eye to eye and measure 22 in. from the rear spring eye to the axle centerline and 25 1/2 from the axle to the front spring eye ( the arch adds the extra inch). I measured the stock Ford frame and found that If I turn the springs around, they will attach right at the front of the frame where the bumper bolts up. The springs are 35 3/4 inch centerline to centerline wide and 38 inches total width. the '57 Ford frame is 36 in. wide outside to outside across the front and 36in. wide inside to inside at aprox. where the rear of the spring will attach(this is starting to look easy!). I also measured how high the spring was with the weight of the truck on it and there is 3 1/2 in. down from the spring eye centerline ( draw an imaginary line through the spring eyes and measure down from that line to the top of the axle). How high the front end will be installing this front assembly in stock form is what I don't know because at this time the stock front susp. is in the way, but that is pretty easy to adjust. Now about steering this rig. I figure to use the stock "57 steering box (or similar,605 maybe) and cross steer it to a Speedway Motors part# 910-02999 tie rod end that has an extra hole on it to attach the drag link using a factory style tie rod ends also from Speedway. This should minimize bump steer because the drag link is quite long. Now all I gotta do it get enough time to build this thing. I should have the time in about, 2 years, sigh... JP if you build yours post lotsa pics. so I can learn from your mistakes

abe_lugo

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

JPotter57

I got the axle and springs last night.  The steering arms on the pass. side spindle will allow you to use the original box, I will have to look at it closer later, but it looks good. The springs may be a little bit long, and this may prompt me to use some aftermarket springs. From what I have gathered from following this on the Gasser sites, and mainly for use on Bowties, is to use springs for a trailer.  If you use 3500 lb axle springs, you may have to pull a leaf, but likely not.  The very cool thing about them is that they are only 28 inches long vs. 38, so you can mount them in a better place on the frame, plus, they will be a little more compact.  The downside to this is that it may ride a little more roughly, but if it sits right and hooks good, then it is less of an issue, at least for me.  I will be working with it in a couple weeks to see how it looks when mocked together, and will post pics then.  My little boy has a b-day this weekend, so prob wont be wrenching til next saturday or so. Wish me luck guys, it is about to reach the point of no return....
Old, loud, and fast.

Geofordman

What axle and springs do you have now? As for the steering arm on the drivers side of the Econoline axle it moves forward and back and the stock box moves sideways. I wondered about a Vega box with the street rod pitman arm (Ford end)mounted ahead of the axle and so it would swing forward and back?(90 degrees from normal)

JPotter57

I have a `66 Econoline axle.  Actually, The drag link I will use, will have to connect to either an aftermarket steering arm mounted to the top of the spindle, or to an aftermarket tie rod end with an extra eye made into it for the draglink.  Speedway makes it, and its not really expensive, about $45 or so.  I will have to look at it a bit more, will probably start cutting on it this week.  I dont want to use the sideways mounted, front to rear steer box, as it will have a lot of bumpsteer.  The cross steer is much better.  Just remember to set the the kingpin angle at about 7-10 degrees, and it should track straight.  Get a decent angle finder from Lowes or Home Depot and you can do that.  Mine came from a street rod shop here locally, but it is the same as the one HD sells for about half the price.
Old, loud, and fast.