News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

small help request

Started by hiball3985, 2021-07-29 11:20

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I am getting ready to install a new rubber molding that goes between the windshield garnish molding and the top of the dash. I did this a few years ago but wasn't happy with the results :005: Can someone please post a picture of how the rubber part terminates at the A pillar on a custom, wagon etc.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

This is what I did, I believe it is close to correct
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Can't help ya, Jim. Sorry Padded dash and wrapped garnish mouldings made the strip unnecessary.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2021-07-29 14:41
This is what I did, I believe it is close to correct
Thanks Lynn, that looks better then mine.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

59meteor

Wondering where you bought the new rubber from. I recently remove my inside windshield trim for painting, and the old rubber was rock hard and broke into pieces. Thanks. Sorry, no help on the install.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

Quote from: 59meteor on 2021-07-30 09:26
Wondering where you bought the new rubber from. I recently remove my inside windshield trim for painting, and the old rubber was rock hard and broke into pieces. Thanks. Sorry, no help on the install.
https://www.steelerubber.com
There are two different lengths, one for standard and one for air conditioning cars.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

Here?s a picture of mine.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

Quote from: dgasman on 2021-07-30 11:53
Here?s a picture of mine.
Thank you. That looks a little different with a padded dash and the chrome molding strips ?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Its function has got to be an anti-squeak, right? As I said earlier, I don't see the need for it with a padded dash.........just my 2 cents, but I much prefer the cleaner look without it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

dgasman

Yes it was a anti squeak thing, even with a padded dash. Believe it or not but my Ranchero has its original padded dash on it . It?s in very good shape but it did change colors over the years. It was originally a rose color and now it?s brown . I chromed my trim because I like shiny and it was what you did in the late 60s early 70s lol
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

I didn't know about the anti squeak but on a none padded dash it leaves a big ugly gap between the dash and molding.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

Quote from: 59meteor on 2021-07-30 09:26

I ordered one from Dennis Carpenter.  I haven't installed it yet as I'm awaiting a call from the upholsterer.
Terry

SkylinerRon

FYI, Carpenter repro's just about every rubber piece on 57-58 Fords.  Even for the Skyliners and factory A/C cars.

Ron.

hiball3985

Just received mine Friday, so it's on the to do list..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim,
it is definitely an anti squeak and to make up for the gap if the dash pad isnt used. Its interesting though, that mine had it, even though it was also a factory dash pad safety option car. so I'd assume even dashpad cars had the rubber strip(s).
Pretty awkward part to deal with at the a post moldings. all seems like an afterthought as the rubber strip will neither go under the A post molding, nor slip on in any way. Possibly the oem rubber had a molded end to work better in that area. Generally speaking I think the repro rubber is a good fit and material, but those ends are hideous.
Mine looks similar to Lynns.