News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E-Code rebuild

Started by alvin stadel, 2024-01-17 10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

This last year I noticed my E-Code has been getting rather tiered and ready for a rebuild. Pulled a compression test yesterday and most all cylinders are in the 60's.  I have another 312 block and crank that have had all the machine work done. My ? is, can I use my fresh block and crank or was or is the E code block different. It sure would be eazyer and way less expensive if I can use my block that is already done.

rmk57

Usually pistons are bought first then the machine shop can over bore and final hone to fit each piston to their specific bore. If your block hasn't had a finishing hone you should be okay for whatever piston you go with, cast, hypers or forged.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

flatbedfred

When putting different pistons in, don't you have to stick with the same weight of piston or have the crankshaft balanced for the replacements?

alvin stadel

I may have miss lead you. My ? is, is there any difference between the 245hp D code block and th E code block.

mustang6984

I believe the blocks are the same, it is what is inside them that counts.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KULTULZ

My concern is if the car is a true E-CODE and the 312 8V is the engine that came in the car that using a different block may cause the engine not to be numbers correct (CASTING ID - DATE CODES) for the car and greatly diminish the value.

Anything on the internal of the engine you can cheat with but not the original engine castings (incl CARB - DIST - etc).

If you decide to go with the other block and the original block is correct for the car, hold onto it.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

RICH MUISE

Alvin, I know your question still hasn't been answered exactly...the question being "is there a difference in the blocks?". I for sure don't know, but I'm wondering if there are casting numbers on the two blocks that could be compared to answer that question. Also, you didn't mention, if the newly rebuilt block is the same vintage (57?).
What Kultulz talked about with matching numbers is certainly something we're all at least somewhat familiar with in theory, but...........what numbers exactly are we talking about with '57 Fords. For my own info, I always assumed that "matching numbers" only meant that the engine COULD HAVE been in the car according to its in plate info, NOT that it was necessarily THE engine that came with it. Is that correct?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Besides the ECZ-6051** casting numbers there should be a date code cast in the block somewhere? Not sure about 57's but the 60's Fords a correct date code block would precede the build date of the car by around 2 weeks, give or take.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KULTULZ

Let me try this again -

If the car itself is a true E-CODE assembled at the factory, part of it's worth will be the components of the car matching.

The engine itself will be the most important factor OF THE CAR'S VALUE. If it has an incorrect or junkyard substitute, it's value is not going to be as high as a car with the correct engine, and that is determined by CASTING INFO.

1) ENGINE BLOCK CASTING NOS (also heads, intake, timing cover, WP and others).
2) CASTING DATE CODES
3) FOUNDRY ID MARKINGS
4) THERE WILL BE STAMPED ON THE FRONT OF THE BLOCK THE ACTUAL ASSEMBLY DATE (IF COMPLETE ENGINE AND NOT A SERVICE REPLACEMENT BLOCK).

If you have no concern as to keeping the car correct, I apologize for posting.

CYL BLOCK ID - http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

EXCERPT TEXT FROM ABOVE SITE -

QuotePLEASE NOTE: 292 and 312 Blocks were machined from the same castings with the same markings.

If the following blocks have EBU main caps it is a 292, if it has ECZ main caps it is a 312.

ECZ-A    292-312 cu. in. V8      1956  ECZ 6015 A    With EBU main caps =292.    ECZ main  caps  =312   Check crank flange or main caps.

ECZ-B    292-312 cu in V8    1956-57 292 or 312

ECZ -C     312 cu. in. V8       1957  ECZ 6015 C.        292 with EBU main caps.

EDB-E      292 cu. in V8       1958-59 cars and trucks to April 59.     312 in Mercury Casting # above oil filter

B9AE-F     292 cu. in. V8     1959-60 cars and trucks. (312 with ECZ main caps, 1959 & 60 Mercury only)  

C1AE-R     292 cu. in. V8     1961 cars and trucks            www.ford-y-block.com

C2AE-C     292 cu. in. V8      1962 cars 62-64 trucks

B7ME        312 cu. in. V8     1962? later 312 replacement block. C2AE main webs. Only example seen  was a marine engine

AGAIN - If the take-out block is correct and you decide not to use it, please do not CORE BARREL it.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

alvin stadel

Thanks, KULTULZ. Very good and informative info. When I get the motor out I will to do my home work. My car is not a E-code car,it was a 312 D-code. I got the E from a friend of mine that brought a true E code car to Mt from Calif. that was 12 years ago. The Block that I have is from my 57 T bird. I want to keep the E-code motor as original as I can, so I guess the casting #'s will be the deciding factor. Thanks for your help.

RICH MUISE

Great info, Kultutz. Thanks. I'm just wondering, Alvin's car aside, did the E or F code engines have any other changes to the internals, heads, etc., or is it only an intake change?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ray

I've had two "E" code 57's (one retractable and one convertible) and one "F" bird. The "E" cars both had standard 57 312 blocks. (same as t-bird btw}. The "F" bird had a motor from ford racing in the day. Came from Wes Clark in Dallas. That one had an EDB 312 block. One of about ten we have seen over the years. There was a 285 hp option as well, not sure on that block. The t-bird people have a lot more background information on the motors. In particular Jim Weatherly in California and Don Antilla on the east coast.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

thomasso

My research on E codes shows no differences in engine internals from D code.  Other than carburetion and related parts. the only differences I could find was one advance spring in the distributor, which is a different pert number. Correct me if I'm wrong.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ray

distributor part number in particular
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

alvin stadel

I thought I would let you know my wore out E Code is out of the car and is on the engine stand and apart. I really don't know how this old girl could still run. There has been pre detenation between the 2 center cylinders on the right bank,  The head gasket was not sealed and you can see where it was firing from one cylinder to the other. The tops of these 2 pistons are very pitted and chewed up. The cam also is very pitted and starting to "flake" apart.  Two different style pushrods, one bent a little. #7 cylinder has some deep gouges, and looks like someone had  tryed to grind them out. A couple of broken rings, and all the pistons have been nerelaed [sp].  The block has never been bored, however someone did a cheap piss poor overhaul, that I don't know why lasted a long time. I have been running this mess for at least 12 years, It was just getting worse  eveytime I started it. So hopefully in about 5 weeks it will be on the road again, with all new parts. I sure am glad I have another 312 block that has had all the machine work done, and is ready to be built. And as they say, life goes on.