News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rclaborne

Quote from: cruzin71 on 2010-05-03 22:06
Hi,
The speedometer problem is easily taken care with an a older style bullet that runs the speed pickup as well as a cable. the bullet has a gear that runs on the output shaft of the transmission.

Wonderful, and thanks for the picture. Wer'd ya get that bullet?

canadian_ranchero

looks the same as the 85 lincoln one i was looking at

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-04 14:33
looks the same as the 85 lincoln one i was looking at

Well, back to the parts yard I guess.

rclaborne

Hi,
The speedometer problem is easily taken care with an a older style bullet that runs the speed pickup as well as a cable. the bullet has a gear that runs on the output shaft of the transmission.

Let me get back to this thing a bit...

The pic doesn't show the whole thing but it looks like we have to replace the whole tail housing and output shaft from some older model to do your conversion?

canadian_ranchero

i am told that ford used that hole for the speedometer on the 4r70w transmission till about 2000 in most models.i looked at a trans out of a 2wd 2001 truck and ford had just put a plug on it.take the plug off and the hole is  there and so is the gear on the out put shaft

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-06 17:56
i am told that ford used that hole for the speedometer on the 4r70w transmission till about 2000...

Yes. I looked around some more on the net. Apparently there was a period of time when Ford trans' supplied digital info to the computer while having a mechanical speedo in the dash. The sender in these apps has both the digital sensor and a push-type speedo cable connection; which, it appears, Cruzin71 is using in his picture above.

canadian_ranchero

looked in the standard engine management catalog at speed sensors. looks like any rear wheel drive car or truck from about 85 to mid 90's with mechanical speedometers should be what we need

RICH MUISE

Any progress on the installation? Gary, I think it would be helpful to me if I had a copy of the mark viii repair manual. Could you give me the name of the publisher and title, and what years it covers so I can start looking for one? thanks, Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-16 21:09
Any progress on the installation? Gary, I think it would be helpful to me if I had a copy of the mark viii repair manual. Could you give me the name of the publisher and title, and what years it covers so I can start looking for one? thanks, Rich
RICH waiting for a trans mount to make sure that fits good.working on disc brakes{see post under brakes}i think you said your mark was a 93,i would look for a factory shop manual.got mine on ebay

rclaborne

For those interested, pictures of my progress are posted here: http://public.fotki.com/claborne/57countrysquire-1/

More will arrive as things move forward.

Rc2

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: rclaborne on 2010-05-18 12:16
For those interested, pictures of my progress are posted here: http://public.fotki.com/claborne/57countrysquire-1/

More will arrive as things move forward.

Rc2
do the headers fit?look to big to me

canadian_ranchero

got a NOS 57 auto trans mount.did a test fit,will need to extend the crossmember trans mount back about 1 inch.will still clear the e brake arm.will also need to open up the bolt holes in the bracket that bolts the mount to the trans

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-18 13:06
do the headers fit?look to big to me

We'll soon see. You may see them up on eBay if not.

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-18 17:01
got a NOS 57 auto trans mount.did a test fit,will need to extend the crossmember trans mount back about 1 inch.will still clear the e brake arm.will also need to open up the bolt holes in the bracket that bolts the mount to the trans

My OE cross member is long gone courtesy of its current 428/C6 setup. No problem for me to rejigger the operation.

RICH MUISE

Hi,
Cruzin'71 ...do you have this set up in a '57? with a 4.6?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe