News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-18 17:23
Cruzin'71 ...do you have this set up in a '57? with a 4.6?

While you're waiting I will tell you that I pulled a sending unit out of a 90 Ford Ranger which converts the 4R70W nicely to a mechanical speedo in the '57 as well as the digital sender. $5.00 at the local yard. Just about any ford from late 80's to late 90's will have this sender.

That said, I may convert my 57 speedo, fuel and temp to digital using the internal guts from my 96 Lincoln. I'll post results later.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-18 17:23
Cruzin'71 ...do you have this set up in a '57? with a 4.6?
RICH have look at the pictures.first one shows 85 town car speedo sensor and cable in the mark viii trans.even the gear swaps.stock mark sensor on top.second picture, look close and you can see how the town car speedo cable lays.will need to change the end at the speedo head but should work.you can also see how i need to extend the trans crossmember mount back  

canadian_ranchero

one other thing to be aware of.my mark has a 8 tooth trans out put shaft.if you are going higher than 3.27[toward 4.11]you will need a add on speed adaptor to make the speedo read correct.the other thing you can do is swap the out put shaft to a 7 tooth one   

rclaborne

I made the decision to use the Lokar shift arm conversion in my application. I know that C_R has successfully grafted a cable mechanism in his app but for $50 including the linkage shaft and tie ends it beats crawling under a greasy truck at the bone yard.

Here's the little devil right here: http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/ford-4r70w-aode.htm

I had a long discussion with them about this application. It turns out that you remove the center bolt, disc and arm; install the selector shaft, bolt on the MLPS and the disc and arm go on last on the outside of the MLPS (unlike the stock setup where it goes under).

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: rclaborne on 2010-05-20 11:54
I made the decision to use the Lokar shift arm conversion in my application. I know that C_R has successfully grafted a cable mechanism in his app but for $50 including the linkage shaft and tie ends it beats crawling under a greasy truck at the bone yard.

Here's the little devil right here: http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/ford-4r70w-aode.htm

I had a long discussion with them about this application. It turns out that you remove the center bolt, disc and arm; install the selector shaft, bolt on the MLPS and the disc and arm go on last on the outside of the MLPS (unlike the stock setup where it goes under).
are you still planing to point the arm down?there is not alot of room under the trans tunnel.

RICH MUISE

WHILE WORKING ON MY ROCKER PANEL TONIGHT, i NOTICED THE TRANS. CROSSMEMBER IS BOLTED ON. IF YOUR BODY IS MOUNTED ON THE FRAME, WOULDN'T IT BE EASIER TO MOVE BACK THE CROSSMEMBER BY REDRILLING AND TAPING NEW HOLES THAN TO WELD AN EXTENSION ON THE CENTER BRACKET. i GUESS I ASK BECAUSE i HATE WELDING OVER MY HEAD.   RICH
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-20 18:25
WHILE WORKING ON MY ROCKER PANEL TONIGHT, i NOTICED THE TRANS. CROSSMEMBER IS BOLTED ON. IF YOUR BODY IS MOUNTED ON THE FRAME, WOULDN'T IT BE EASIER TO MOVE BACK THE CROSSMEMBER BY REDRILLING AND TAPING NEW HOLES THAN TO WELD AN EXTENSION ON THE CENTER BRACKET. i GUESS I ASK BECAUSE i HATE WELDING OVER MY HEAD.   RICH
RICH if you look close you will see the frame is tapered.so if you move it back you will have to widen the crossmember.as far as welding the extension on,after it is tacked in place i will remove the crossmember and weld it on the bench.

RICH MUISE

Wish I had thought of that...at least one of us is thinking...I'm such a dumbass sometimes

cruzin71

Hi Rich,
I have  a lincoln mark VIII motor & transmission . installed in my car. The car is still a work in progress. drove car down my street and back. I am still working out minor problems. I have not hooked up the speedometer as of yet.( not a major priority at this time.)   You can buy a pre made cable with speedometer gear and length of cable you need from a mustang website. I do not remember where I saw it. The other thing you can do is take your bullet and remove the plastic insert at the top and install a cable, not sure how you can attach. I will just buy from the web sight. I think it was about $60.00. you can also get the older bullet with cable attached. 1993 lincoln I believe.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: cruzin71 on 2010-05-20 22:42
Hi Rich,
I have  a lincoln mark VIII motor & transmission . installed in my car. The car is still a work in progress. drove car down my street and back. I am still working out minor problems. I have not hooked up the speedometer as of yet.( not a major priority at this time.)   You can buy a pre made cable with speedometer gear and length of cable you need from a mustang website. I do not remember where I saw it. The other thing you can do is take your bullet and remove the plastic insert at the top and install a cable, not sure how you can attach. I will just buy from the web sight. I think it was about $60.00. you can also get the older bullet with cable attached. 1993 lincoln I believe.
cruzin71 what did you use for a rad?any pictures?

RICH MUISE

Crusin71...I think we'd all like to see a rundown on what you've got going there...what year lincoln...brake booster...radiator...wiring...exhaust manifolds..motor mounts...pics...etc. thanks Rich

canadian_ranchero

the other reason to leave the trans crossmember where it is,is that you can leave the e brake system alone,one less thing to modify.

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-20 12:24
are you still planing to point the arm down?there is not alot of room under the trans tunnel.

The arm cannot point up since it would actuate the shifts in the opposite direction as the column shift goes. Park is the forward most position with the lever pointing (in the stock OEM position) down.

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-20 23:35
cruzin71 what did you use for a rad?any pictures?

I solved the rad issue with a custom built rad. But, if you're needing a rad on the cheap the 57 OEM rad has enough cooling power for the 4.6 What you need to do to get more front end room is to de-solder the mounting rails then resolder them in reverse. that will allow you to move the radiator forward in to the cowling recess which gives you about 3 more inches. At this point I am not sure If I will be using a mechanical fan or the Lincoln MK VIII shroud and electric fan. I'll figure this out once we get it in the engine bay.

canadian_ranchero

when i test fitted my rad i had enough for the lincoln fan with room to spare.the rad is a 59 352 2 core