News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

What is that cannister on the driver's inner fender well?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-02-06 14:50What is that cannister on the driver's inner fender well?

Part of the factory air conditioning I believe. I need to research that system some.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

Vacuum tank?  Had a factory air 500, no tank like that.  The air system was complete.  Maybe for the brake booster?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mustang6984

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2023-02-07 07:43Vacuum tank?  Had a factory air 500, no tank like that.  The air system was complete.  Maybe for the brake booster?

Possible.There is writing on it (see posts & pics on earlier pages) and I tried to read it, but haven't been able to yet. Want to clean it but have been putting that off until I could figure out how to without removing anymore lettering.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2023-02-07 08:48without removing anymore lettering.
Honetly, I never understood this type of thinking. inho, and often wrong, lol, the only reason for this would be if you are building a never-to-be-driven concourse level car. Or, if your planning just the opposite and don't mind the writing interfering with restoration. Photograph it, then duplicate after paint and/or clean-up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Duplicating it would be pretty much impossible. And if it were possible horrendously expensive.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Are you guys talking about the crayon markings on the firewall ? I would leave them as is, Probably the firewall doesn't need repainting, but only a good scrub with dish washer or CLR to remove the oil and coolant spray surface rust. Just spare the numbers and keep them intact. Personally I love those markings left form factory or engine overhaul. They tell about the life of a car.  these og factory stamps are still visible on my
CS. Of course they date match the build. (March 57)

PS, that canister is NOT a factory looking brake booster vaccuum reservoir. that one usually sits inside the drivers inner fender well, under fender.

mustang6984

G...Terry Bly and I were talking on the phone last night and wondering if it was a booster for the windshield wipers?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

hmmm...usually the windshield wipers don't have a vac tank. the og type fuel pump has a vacuum pump on top. hoses run from carb/manifold to pump and then directly to wipers and heater valve. Maybe the fuel pump was replaced by a single action fuel pump only and somebody tried to help the wipers with an auxiliary tank. I have never seen that type of vac tank in a 57, but maybe it's a very early unit or aftermarket replacement.

edit. Hugh, on page 1 your post #12 you posted a pic of the engine, and sure enough, that is only a single action mechanic fuel pump on the engine, without a vacuum unit.

this is how the factory dual action fuel pump looks like. with the vacuum pump on top.

thomasso

Do you mean the vacuum tank behind the wheel under the fender on top of the inner fender?  That is the is the power brake vacuum  reservoir.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

akusler763

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2023-02-07 08:48Possible.There is writing on it (see posts & pics on earlier pages) and I tried to read it, but haven't been able to yet. Want to clean it but have been putting that off until I could figure out how to without removing anymore lettering.

That is not the factory style vacuum tank for power brakes, it is either for something else or something someone added.
1957 Fairlane 500 2-door Sedan w 390FE/C6
2001 Mustang GT Convertible
2016 F-150
1968 Thunderbird w 429/C6

lalessi1

I have never seen a canister like that. Might make sense that someone added it for the wipers. The '57 my grandmother bought new never had a dual function fuel pump (as far as I know) and the wipers were worthless in south Louisiana. The power brake reservoir is on the rear of the inner fender underneath the left fender.
Lynn

mustang6984

Quote from: thomasso on 2023-02-08 18:14Do you mean the vacuum tank behind the wheel under the fender on top of the inner fender?  That is the is the power brake vacuum  reservoir.

The green one mounted on top of the driver's side inner fender well. The one with the red lettering. If that is a power booster for brakes then I will be happier than hell!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

The booster is under the dash. It is a bellows connected to the brake pedal.
Lynn

mustang6984

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2023-02-10 11:08The booster is under the dash. It is a bellows connected to the brake pedal.

Well....then I wonder what this thing is? Driving me nuts now...and I am rarely far from being totally insane... :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker