News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

cruzin71

Rich,
1997 Lincoln mark VIII motor,trans, radiator and cooling fan.
1996 mustang gt mounts
crown Vic crossmember custom built
detail zone wiring ( made my own wire diet had running, but unable to scan).
using hydro boost from late model mustang gt.

canadian_ranchero

what did you do to get the rad to fit?the lower rad mount pins were hiting the frame when i test fitted mine

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info and pics. Which exauhst manifolds did you use, and was it the engine or tranny crossmember you  custom built? I'm asking questions we already have answers for in order to hopefully expand our choices when it's time for parts yard shopping.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

cruzin71

Rich,
I had to trim core support a little on the bottom. I am running ford motorsport headers, currently do not have exhaust system on car. The crossmember was used for the transmission. when I started project I did not have the original crossmember some I just came up with my own by measuring and diving under cars at the bone yard.

cruzin71

On the radiator mount I used the mounting brackets off the top of most ford cars. I drilled holes in the cor support and used the pin system on the bottom as well as the top.

RICH MUISE

HAVE YOU HAD THE FORD MOTORSPORTS HEADERS ON THE CAR? DO THEY CLEAR THE CONTROL ARMS? IF SO, DO YOU HAVE PART NUMBERS BY ANY CHANCE? Also, where is your battery located, I was thinking of recessing mine into the fenderwell area. An optima battery they advertise can be installed in any position, which to me means on it's side if you have to, and I'd always have the option of using those side post batteries that I hate.
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES...RICH

canadian_ranchero

cruzin71 what steering system are you using?

cruzin71

used abs powersteering box. header not sure of part number will research had to trim nuts on upper control arms. installed battery on passenger side fender well welded in box.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: cruzin71 on 2010-05-23 01:34
used abs powersteering box. header not sure of part number will research had to trim nuts on upper control arms. installed battery on passenger side fender well welded in box.
i assume you hooked the box to the mark viii pump.on my upper control arm nuts,i swapped them around putting the nuts toward the tires

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: cruzin71 on 2010-05-21 23:25
Rich,
1997 Lincoln mark VIII motor,trans, radiator and cooling fan.
1996 mustang gt mounts
crown Vic crossmember custom built
detail zone wiring ( made my own wire diet had running, but unable to scan).
using hydro boost from late model mustang gt.
what do you mean by "detail zone wiring"?did you cut up the mark wiring harness?

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-24 08:15
what do you mean by "detail zone wiring"?did you cut up the mark wiring harness?

He means this: http://www.thedetailzone.com/Ford%204.6%20&%205.4%20EFI.htm

RICH MUISE

Gary...The detail Zone is a division of Ron Francis Wiring that does the fuel injection harnesses.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-24 17:27
Gary...The detail Zone is a division of Ron Francis Wiring that does the fuel injection harnesses.
you guys have no sense of adventure.just modify the original wiring and save a few bucks.   

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-24 23:04
you guys have no sense of adventure.just modify the original wiring and save a few bucks.   

Dude. Time is money. You can easily burn through $985 plus shipping and still not get it right; especially if you're using a 97 or 98 doner which has it's own special problems. In my case I'm going for a) reliability in a daily driver,  b) minimizing frustration and c) getting this done in my natural lifetime, so it's money well spent.

cruzin71

Like I said I had the car running  with a wiring loom dieted but that was it. toooooooooooooo many hours involved. With detail zone still take s a lot of time and planning. where to route wires. connections very easy. detail zone still not prefect for 97 /98 Lincoln. to much network involved in the Lincoln. you will still have to run a different wiring harness for electric fan as the detail zone harness will not run the fan. they found that the vrm control will not work correctly. Ron Francis has a harness for the cooling fans that work well.