News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

wow, this is coming along nicely !!!

KYBlueOval

Bill, looking great! Can you tell me please ,the distance from the front edge of the hood to the "V" point of the T bird scoop. As we discussed when I stopped in to see first hand, your outstanding work, I have a '63 T'bird hood and will be doing the same thing.
Thanks
John

Ford Blue blood

John, the distance is 9 7/8".  I used the entire hood skin from the Bird.  A small portion of the 57 hood frame was trimmed to allow for mounting the scoop and the indent for the scoop hit the hood frame.  I also added two holes in the frame to allow for bolting down the scoop in all corners.  Given my lack of confidence and not wanting to cut up a good hood this one was built from two 57 pieces and the Bird skin. 

To do over I would cut the 57 hood 1/4" in from the edge along the side up to where the Bird lines match up with the raised part of the 57 hood (rear most section).  Only fold over the very front.  The Bird skin almost layed perfectly on the 57 frame.  The only area that needed a little help to lay flat was the front portion and it was only off by 1/4".  I used seam sealer to "glue" the skin to the 57 frame.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

I was so impressed with how close the '65 Thunderbird skin fit the '57 hood subframe.  It looks like it belongs there.  I wish I had a bead roller so I could have rolled the edges.  Hammering the entire perimeter was a lot of work.

Ford Blue blood

Gary I had the same surprise!  Just happened to have the two standing together and it hit me that the curve was near identical.  Made a cardboard template of the 57 and layed it on the Bird hood and the match was remarkable.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Drove it for the first time yesterday!  Got it out to give it a bath (dawn dish soap) to get rid of the sanding dust and any finger prints from handling parts.  Ready for the final blocking and finish paint.  Picked up the base and a gallon of clear, man that stuff is expensive!

Got the head lights installed and checked out, alignment came in really close for an "eye ball alignment" but will need to do a more technical one after bumpers are on.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

How did she drive?
That's going to be pretty, William!! Is one gallon of that ( yes, very expensive) clear going to be enough? I couldn't buy the good stuff recommended by my body and paint mentor (300ish per). It was  at 180 gal. for the stuff I did buy, and I've got 2+ put on the car.
I've been meaning to ask what that jug is on the front of the car. Windshield washer?, overflow? Moonshine?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

It should be OK, still have a half gallon in the locker.  Everything is painted except the primered areas, fenders, hood, doors, quarters and tail gate.  Should be plenty.  The roof is as shot, no sanding and buffing, the jams are all finished as well as the engine compartment, love this clear as it lays down so well, ya, $190 a gallon ready to shoot!

That is a nurse tank.  My gas tank until it is ready to hit the road.  That way I can keep fresh gas to the carb as there is some distance between run times in the past.  That will be going away after the paint is on.  Drives nice (for a yard run), brakes are a little off.  Soft pedal.  Will have to wait on that until help can come over.  They felt good when bleeding but soft with the engine running and vacuum on the booster.  Steering is easier then I thought it would be.  64 Galaxie box, no assist.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

That light is getting brighter!

KYBlueOval

Bill, I'm jealous.............but I'll get there. Can't wait to see it finished. A trip to B'ham might be in order.
John

Ford Blue blood

John don't be, this thing will be five years in the works in September....couple of my car buddies (Ford guys) were ragging me about living long enough to finish it.  Still have a long ways to go, final assembly (if the paint turns out good), interior and lots of stainless to polish....never mind the shake down run surprises.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

mustang6984

THAT is one fine looking piece of art work...that just happens to double as a car! I bet you will have a hard time staying out of it once you get finished! ""What's that dear? You need a cucumber for dinner salad to be ready? No problem...be back with one in a few!"  LOL!!! Any excuse you can find to drive that baby! Nice work!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

Thanks bunches guys.  Been a long journey!  Family, health, friends and a bunch of "life" have extended the build.  That and it is not a rebuild but an update to a fine piece of machinery!

Got paint on the Ranchero.  Fairly happy, some trash in it and of course two bugs decided to commit suicide while the paint process was progressing.  No choice but to help them along....now the color sanding and buffing starts!  Does it ever end?

Put new sneakers on it after all the masking was taken off, just needed to see how it would set.  235-70/15s fit nice, rims came from Summit a couple years ago, they were on sale with free shipping.  I think we have a winner hear, much because of the fellows on this site!

Couple of pics in the shop, take a few more after I drive it out tomorrow....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

mustang6984

Good thing I am typing. 'Cause I can do that while I am also drooling! WOW! Looks great. The hood scoop looks fine! Like it belongs! You nailed that addition dead on.
How did you get those taillight pans so shiny? I bet they will really reflect the light BRIGHTLY!
Pat yerself on the back...you are definitely on the right path!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Looks great Bill. Bodywork look fantastic. I can hardly wait to see that color in sunlight! I don't envy you with the color sanding and buffing. Looks a tad high in the front.....what do you have for springs?