News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

the first pic is crazy. Does that mean its a 64 Comet wagon with a 430 MEL Marauder engine in it or a 390. 427 or even a 406 ????? holy smoke, it must have torn up the poor car.

rmk57

the 427 engine was in full swing by 64, so I'd guess it would be a 427. Not sure which version though.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

Yep, Mercury version of the Thunderbolt.. :003: By why a four door,  I remember his 1964 championship car was a 2 door

I always liked the Marauders..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

its crazy that they used those chunky engines in the compacts. the Comet seems to have painted (glass?) bumpers too. and the thunderbolt hood.

John Palmer

Wagons had more weight bias on the rear tires.  Maybe even a longer wheel base?  They did not have the drag slick tire widths, or drag tire technology that we have today.  They tried everything possible to remove the weight from the front (with fiberglass fenders, doors and bumpers, and Plexiglas windows) and relocate the weight to the rear (rear mounted bus sized batteries) to improve traction.

CobraJoe

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-08-28 14:39
the first pic is crazy. Does that mean its a 64 Comet wagon with a 430 MEL Marauder engine in it or a 390. 427 or even a 406 ????? holy smoke, it must have torn up the poor car.

For 1964, Ford produced about 50 ultra-high performance lightweight Comet Cyclones, equipped with their racing two-carburetor 427 engine, similar to their cousin, the Ford Thunderbolt. To avoid competing with each other, the Thunderbolts ran in super stock on 7-inch tires, but the Cyclones were modified to run in A/FX on 10-inch tires, where they were as dominant as the Thunderbolts were in super stock. Drivers included Ronnie Sox, Don Nicholson and Wild Bill Shrewsberry in conjunction with Jack Chrisman.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

...now before anybody blows a head gasket over the '58 Chevy in the pic, it's not the focus of attention... the Ferry Winch is Driven by a 1930's Fordson Tractor Engine 

CobraJoe

hiball3985

Is that gross weight on the rear quarter by the fuel door?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Yes it is, lol.

djfordmanjack

this Del Rio was participant in a fuel economy run.

Wirenut

Thank you for sharing the old photos'. Turns out to be one of my favorite things about this site is to log on and see them, trips back in time.

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2018-08-28 19:28...now before anybody blows a head gasket over the '58 Chevy in the pic ....
How dare you!
:blowup1:   

CobraJoe

Quote from: Wirenut on 2018-08-29 21:01
Thank you for sharing the old photos'. Turns out to be one of my favorite things about this site is to log on and see them, trips back in time.

Thanks, much appreciated.