News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

sorry about the sideways pics it's been awhile, one more try the 65 interior

djfordmanjack

sweet rides, both van and Mustang !
well no, Tom, you understood that quite right. there is not much difference between the US and metric ton. 1 metric ton is approx. 1.1 US tons. and in Europe we have a total different understanding of 'light' trucks or vans. I can't help laughing when I think about the typical US half ton trucks.... 2 tons of truck and 1/2 ton of payload.... :003: please forgive me. Here in Europe  the cars/trucks/vans were very light and small and engineered totally different. it is not mistake, my German van weighs about 1.25 US tons and has a payload of about 1.4 US tons. it's rated with more payload than own net weight.

mustang6984

Quote from: glenmichael on 2019-12-27 12:12
sorry about the sideways pics it's been awhile, one more try the 65 interior

Looks like the 3-pedal set up was a conversion. Used to have an automatic, probably a C-4 in it. did you do the swap yourself?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Heres some proof Tom. A van full of spare parts and stuff on top. or 3 Flathead engines, an axle and some more stuff. the little Ford van takes it all !  :003:

glenmichael

The silver 1965 2+2 Mustang I bought in California, 1973 factory 289 with 4-speed, we re-built motor and trans, I added the vertical gate shifter and went through a lot of gas!! this photo was taken across the street from the van on the same day 1974.. my 70's way of dressing only the Hair has changed, no hair today or mustang..

mustang6984

No hair for me either...but I do have 4 Mustangs. None in '70 though. Just an old 4-door '56 Bow-tie station wagon. In spring of '71 came the first '57 Ford...which I still have...a white retired drag car...my first Courier. The motor has long ago been sold but everything else (suspension and transmission) still with me.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-12-27 12:15
... I can't help laughing when I think about the typical US half ton trucks.... 2 tons of truck and 1/2 ton of payload....
I hear ya! I'm having a hard time understanding why these US pickups seem to just be getting bigger & heavier. Also why so many people drive them when they are hardly ever used to haul anything but somebody's butt back & forth to work.
I'm definitely not a pickup guy. Except for Rancheros.  :001:
Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-12-27 12:15...
my German van weighs about 1.25 US tons and has a payload of about 1.4 US tons. it's rated with more payload than own net weight.
Didn't expect that!  Very impressive!
Some of these Econolines had more payload capacity than the Ford pickups of the same year. I saw that depending on the which  model you picked in the old 2nd gen Econos you could get up to a 4,320 lb payload capacity.
That would have been a 1 ton E300 model with those horrible  16.5" tires, 8 lug wheels & a Dana rearend. Don't like those or the E100 with it's tiny brakes & I think, 14" wheels.  I like the 3/4 ton E150s, with bigger brakes & 15" wheels.

Could hardly find a used Econoline van around here in 1971 when I got my 1st one. Ended up with a 1969 240" six powered one. Gutless.
Got a used '69 351W 2 barrel engine with a 4 barrel carb & swapped it in.  Wrecked that van a few years later & after a while got '72 with a 302 & automatic. I hate automatic transmissions. Because of the trans I kept getting stuck in deep snow.  Swapped in the 351w & stick shift trans & put on some headers. Used to outrun Chevy pickups at the stop light drags. Never got beat. Biggest engines those vans came with was a two barrel 302. I could now go thru deep snow too.
That thing went everywhere & hauled everything.
"How did you get in here without 4 wheel drive?!"  :003:

Made some narrow cabinets with a countertop for a camp stove. Made a fold down bed for two. Could still carry 4' X 8' sheets of plywood. Could haul my dirt bike & camp at the same time.
The ole killer van eventually rusted away. Was also t-boned by a taxi cab. :( 
Took off the 'mag' wheels & still have it 'cause there just ain't any parts around for these things. It's just filled up with a bunch of parts now. It must have taken me 20 years to find another 2nd gen Econoline here. Tried and still have couple of the 3rd Gen ones but like the big pickups they are just too long & hard to maneuver it tight places.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

1951 Ford Tudor

djfordmanjack

Tom, I think I can fully understand your appreciation for that Econoline. It seems to be the perfect combo of everything with a SWB, sliding door, V8, manual, 15" wheels aso... it appears to also be a walkthrough and did it have swivel seats ?
I am not a Van person per se, but I just love useful and multi purpose cars/trucks/vans. Guys like us we just always seem to tinker around with something and need to haul parts, engines, flooring, lumber, furniture, machinery, I don't know. also the size of a van is extremely important. I am living in an old town with rather small streets and parking lots, so that is why I prefer my old SWB Ford van to more modern or larger vans. also these old boxy vans, they were just designed to have LOTS of space. No insulation, no side impact this and that, no plastic coverings or unneccesary gadgets. I love these very basic down to earth vehicles. I hear every word you say about your old van. even though it has all the cabinets in it, it still has SO MUCH space and cargo area left. and lets not forget about the great camping vans these make, basically for free. put in some crates or a little cabinet for storage, some camping beds or matress and you're good to go. I have slept in mine countless times when visiting friends, attending music festivals or just hauling parts long distance. it has moved so many parts to and from sandblasting facility. I believe nearly every car or bike that I restored has had some of its parts moved around in the van. :003: I believe we should open our own van thread in off topic, so we don't spoil this thread here too much, let's keep this for OLD Ford pics !

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-12-27 15:38

Made some narrow cabinets with a countertop for a camp stove. Made a fold down bed for two. Could still carry 4' X 8' sheets of plywood. Could haul my dirt bike & camp at the same time.

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

mustang6984

Dave...and a 2-door at that!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-12-28 07:56
Tom, I think I can fully understand your appreciation for that Econoline. It seems to be the perfect combo of everything with a SWB, sliding door, V8, manual, 15" wheels aso... it appears to also be a walkthrough and did it have swivel seats ?
I never put any swivel seats in it but did use a low back reclining seat on the passenger side. One of the advantages was that it made room to haul some very long & narrow things  when folded down.
I hated that sliding sliding side door, the swing open doors work much better.
A SWB? There was a 105.5" short wheel base model but I liked the 123.5" wheel base ones. Even then they were actually 2" shorter than 1948 thru 1952 Ford F1 pickups.

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-12-28 07:56
I believe we should open our own van thread in off topic, so we don't spoil this thread here too much, let's keep this for OLD Ford pics !
I thought about that & have tons of info & pix.  Do you think there would there be much interest here?
By the same token I can't imagine that anyone would object to posting some pics & less of my blabbering on about these old Fords.  No?

This pop-top would fit in the garage. :055: