News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Rich..enjoyed our conversation. I got to thinking after I hung up...you said you may have a chance to get some better pics of your friend's engine sometime soon. If you can, get some good pics of both sides of the exhaust manifolds so we can figure out what you have...you may not need to procure the Mustang manifolds.
Also forgot to ask..is the friend that is going with you to Al's the same one we talked about that worked for Ford?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

:thumbsup:Sounds like a thumbs up to me. Thanks for the additional confirmation.

ROKuberski

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-04-10 20:18
Rich..enjoyed our conversation. I got to thinking after I hung up...you said you may have a chance to get some better pics of your friend's engine sometime soon. If you can, get some good pics of both sides of the exhaust manifolds so we can figure out what you have...you may not need to procure the Mustang manifolds.
Also forgot to ask..is the friend that is going with you to Al's the same one we talked about that worked for Ford?
Rich

No, the guy that I'm planning on bringing is someone that has lots of experience in this kind of stuff.  If you have any questions for my friend that did the research work for Ford, I will be glad to pass them along.

I have heard from my friend and Friday will work for pictures.  I will take pictures and make measurements and make the information available to anyone that want's it.

Yes, I did enjoy our conversation.  I'm sure that you will be a big help to me, I don't know that I will do much from you except drain your memory.

I hope you can make the meeting of the minds at Al's in Colorado Springs on May 4th.

Rich

57dohc

Rich and Rich,
I do hope you both will be able to make it on the 4th.  I will welcome any suggestions to make the project easier.  Of course, will also give opinions regardless of worth!  Al

ROKuberski

Al,

I'm sure it will be a real learning experience for us all.

One question for today.  I know that Rich is installing a different steering column, but I don't know if it is necessary.  Will the engine fit using the original steering column?

Thanks,

Rich

RICH MUISE

Really has less to do with the steering column than the fact that I had switched to Rack and pinion steering which eliminated the bulky steering box. I wanted the R & P set-up from the get-go, so that decision was made long before the engine decision...just worked out that it made it easier...I think. I have tons of room in that area, not sure about the bellhousing hitting the rack itself at this point, but I think after I modify the tranny crossmember so I can push the engine back another inch, everything will clear.
I am under the opinion from Claborn's install that the stock steering box/column will clear.If you have oem power steering, the steering arms and linkage, etc. may need to be relocated 1/2" or so forward. He had pics and details of that in one of those threads.
Guys I'm having a real tough time with deciding on Colorado on the fourth, or my annual-never-miss-it trip to Fort Worth the week before for the Pate Swap meet. Can't afford both trips with my Gas guzzler. I'll let you know for sure as the date gets closer.

57dohc

I have removed all steering linkage from my car but I don't anticipate a clearance problem with the steering gearbox with the exhaust manifolds I have.  I had intended to go to rack and pinion steering anyway.
The H-pipe from the Mach connects nicely in the 57 and runs quite close to the transmission which should afford good clearance in this area.  The cobra should be the same.  This h-pipe also includes the co2 sensors and might be a less expensive alternative to a custom exhaust if you can find one used. 
If you want, we can hold this section in the car and you can measure the clearance in that area on your visit.  Al

57dohc

I had a few moments in the garage today.  Finally lifted the radiator support and inner fenders in place to get some measurements for the radiator clearance.  I have 8.25 inches of clearance from the flange of the radiator support to the crankshaft pulley.  7 inches of clearance to the attachment bolt on the fan tension bracket which is the most proud point of the engine front.  The electric fan I have from the mustang is  5.5 inches but should fit with no problem with a radiator flush with the front of support and still give 3 inches of clearance for the front coolant hose that drops down in front of the engine.  This is the same clearance the Mustang had.  An oem 57 radiator might work with a more slim fan depending on width.  Does anyone the width of the orginal radiator or the aftermarket aluminum ones (Auto City?) some members have purchased? That might be to easy.!  Al

RICH MUISE

Al...would you reword your last sentence so I can understand what it is your looking for. I've got the auto city alum. one as well as my orig. 6 cyl. You don't have your original radiator? Unless we get some rainy days where I can't work outside, my '57 is on hold for a while :sad10:

57dohc

Rich;
I was hoping to get the width or depth of the after market aluminum radiator or how far it sits out from that radiator support.  I'm trying to determine if it will be more economical to get a custom made radiator that fits to the front side of the radiator support or to get a oem type which will require the purchase of both the radiator and fan.  I think either can be made to work but want to consider both options.  Thanks! Al

RICH MUISE

Al...go to the thread we had going on moving the radiator forward. It is in the general discusion area. On the first page, there are some pics that I think show at least some of the dim's your looking for.
Rich

ROKuberski

Quote from: 57dohc on 2013-04-12 11:49
I have removed all steering linkage from my car but I don't anticipate a clearance problem with the steering gearbox with the exhaust manifolds I have.  I had intended to go to rack and pinion steering anyway.
The H-pipe from the Mach connects nicely in the 57 and runs quite close to the transmission which should afford good clearance in this area.  The cobra should be the same.  This h-pipe also includes the co2 sensors and might be a less expensive alternative to a custom exhaust if you can find one used. 
If you want, we can hold this section in the car and you can measure the clearance in that area on your visit.  Al

After more research, I've come to the conclusion that I too will go to rack & pinion steering.  I've been on the other forum and found that the Chevy Cavalier rack from the late '80 will work.  Someone posted part numbers and the rack is only $111 at NAPA, that's a deal.  I've also found how to modify the existing steering column and adapt the horn to work.  It's all right here on this website. 

If you are interested, my pictures show the lifting brackets provided by the factory.  I did visit the engine at the warehouse where it is stored.  It's 16' up on some heavy duty shelving.  Not easy to walk around when you get up there.  They still haven't found the computer or some of the parts to the wiring harness.  They are not done looking, but I am not too hopeful on this issue.  The left side manifold is missing, but I have a good picture of the right side.  Can anyone confirm if this type will work or do I need to get both sides?

I do have the air filter/intake box, including an air horn.  I guess this all mounts in the right wheel well.  It's pretty large, but if the battery is relocated, it may fit.  Are any of you guys using this large box?

Thanks,

Rich

RICH MUISE

Rich...somehow missed this post yesterday. I'll have to confirm later today what I'm gonna tell you, but those pics pretty much confirm my suspicions that is a Lincoln engine, not a Mustang. Of course I have no way of knowing if it was modified internally (cams). That right Manifold is the same as what is on the '94 Linconln Mark viii I pulled. The problem is not with that manifold side, but with the left side..it is substantially different. The side you have may or may not work, but it is a mute point since the driver's side definetly is too big. I'll post some pics of mine later so you can see.
The engine in your pics has the same PN as mine..4G814AA..and was made 2 weeks after mine (mine 8-15-93).
PS..My wife must be feeling guilty 'cause I've started working on the house again..she told me she thinks I should do both the Pate swap meet in FW and meet you guys in Colo. the week after.
Rich

ROKuberski

The only thing I know about this engine is what my friend has told me. 

I am getting a pretty long list of things that need to be bought and get done.  I emailed with Ron Francis this morning and found that not only does this project need the engine management wiring harness (MK-93 for $920,) there is another kit that needs to be added to wire up all of the accessories (XP-67 for $469.)

After my visit with Al, and you too it is now sounding like, I will be able to start procuring parts.

Rich

57dohc

I visited one of my friends on Sunday who is a avid collector and just happened to get a mark 8 drive train.  Its "supposed" to be  a good engine which includes the trans as well as most of the wiring.  Manufacture date on the engine is 9-11-1996.  This guy has way too many things and I know he will never get around to using it. He has a least 20 old cars in his yard, mostly old mercurys including convertibles and woodie wagons with mountains of fenders and spare parts.  Throw in hundreds of oil signs and pumps and you get the idea.  He only lives 2 miles from me and it would be an interesting tour.
If you are interested, it might be worth a shot to try and talk him out of this drive train if it gives you the parts you need. Since it was simply given to him, it might be cheap. Al