News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

The por-15 does not adhere well to the plating on the tank..so not a good idea.
Don't know what fuel pump it is set up for, but I just found out today Bob Drake sells a '57 passenger car gas tank already set up for an in tank fuel pump.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Got my air intake prettied up a bit..two toned it to match the engine compartment. It's now ready for a 45 degree adapter/connector and the K & N filter.

Thor

Looking good Rich! Once life gets a little more settled/slowed down for me (this summer hopefully) I will get started on a swap in my 58. Haven't decided on the swap you are doing (I have a 49K mile complete pull from a 93 Mark VIII) or a 93 Cobra 5.0 that I have. I can't even decide between a 5 Speed or Auto as I have either for both combinations. Why did you decide on the Mark VIII swap?     

RICH MUISE

Before I forget, Tanker, edit: Thor!!you've got a big swap meet coming up in your area in 3 weeks or so, right? I may need a road trip by then, but I also need to stay home and spend my money on parts instead of traveling.
Many reasons for the Mk viii decision. First, I owned a new '95 Mkviii, best car I ever had. Good gas economy, dependable, moderate power with easy build to higher hp, '93-'95 (and maybe '96) mk8's had the strongest blocks of any 4.6, The blocks were cast in Italy. Alum. block, alum heads=weight not a factor for handling, suspension, etc.
I really like the way the dual runner intake setup functions, cheap availability, a real high mileage expectantcy without major repairs. Ron Francis makes a wiring harness for it. Sounds petty, but a major factor for me was that I really like the looks of these engines. The sheer size is just awesome. I really hate looking into an old engine compartment and seeing alot of empty space....as you can see from my pics..there's not alot of space left. The earlier engins can be easily changed to coil on plugs to eliminate the coil packs and plug wires. The mating tranny is a 4 speed auto with O.D.
Your '93 computer may not have the programmed-in speed governor..the earliest ones didn't, and if you have the '93 driveshaft it was the only year they used a one piece shaft, again the earlier ones built for '93. The mk8 driveshaft is almost usable on the short wheelbase '57's (and8's) as is, and should be perfect with a 1" longer yoke on the differential. If you '58 is a Fairlane, I would think the driveshaft would have to be lengthened.

RICH MUISE

Haven't got a whole lot done..been in one of those one step forward and two steps back modes. I did get in my K & N / Spectre air intake stuff. Looks good and fit like a glove on the end of the modified oem Mark viii air intake. I could have gone a little bigger(length) on the filter. I've been mostly working on the A/C lines, at a standstill on those until some replacement parts come in. I ordered a tight 90 degree #8 fitting for the compressor condenser to get me around the hood hinge. I ordered it from www.purechoicemotorsports.com.
Great people to work with.I can't remember who on this forum recommended them, but thanks.  While I was on the phone, I found out they also make springlock adapters for the fuel lines. They come with the push in springlock fittings on one end, a 30" braided stainless hose, and a #6AM fitting on the other end. 49 bucks per hose. I'll post a pic of those when I get them.
Edit...I should have noted that all the intake stuff to fit the mk 8 housing was 4 inch.

RICH MUISE

Got my pieces from Pure Choice in today. What I got for the fuel injection was not what I was expecting, but actually will work better for me. Also less money. They do make an adapter fitting that has a 30" hose attached, but what I got was just a set of springlock to AN6 fittings. My oem fuel log is just a few inches in front of the air intake duct, and I was a little worried maybe the flex line didn't have enough flex to allow me to get it under the duct being that close. Having them send just adapters will allow me to use an angled fitting to connect.
The fitting for the condenser top line should work perfectly to clear the hood hinge. A pic of what I got....

RICH MUISE

Another day of one step forward and two back. I got the fittings and barrier hose I ordered from Cold Hose today to complete the A/C lines on the engine side of the firewall. Found out I had made a wrong assumption with the springlock fittings off the compressor. The small one is a number 8, and everything I ordered for that line fits. The wrong assumption I made was with the big tube. It is not a #10, as I had thought. I could not find any dimensional references for the springlock fittings, so I am going to assume (again) it has to be a #12, because that's the only other larger springlock size available. I ordered the #12 springlock  fitting, some #12 barrier hose, and a #10 o-ring to #12 beadlock fitting for where it ties into the #10 suction line.

Thor

Rich,
You are correct. The Swap meet in Wichita is the 7th and 8th of Feb. the same place it was last year. I won't be able to go by he looks of it because I will be out of town. Thanks for the input on the engine choice. Your car sure looks like it is coming together.

RICH MUISE

Not too much to add..was taking a break. I did get the final 2 engine side AC lines installed. They were the 8 and 12 size hoses off the compressor. The fittings were from Cold Hose, and I had them crimped locally at a hydraulics shop...8 bucks for the crimping while I waited. I also got the trinary switch added to the dryer

Frankenstein57

Rich the wife must be at work, with all those car parts on the kitchen counter. :061:

RICH MUISE

LOL...I just make sure they're clean parts I'm bringing in(if she's home)

Ford Blue blood

Just don't get caught using the bath tub to wash an engine block or the dish washer to clean a carburetor or the oven to cure manifold paint.....all of those are a sure way to find out if she has a sense of humor!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

Rich,nice work.too bad i was not around could have answered alot of your questions

RICH MUISE

LOL...I know, I know. The thread you were running with Claiborn was a great help though. A lot of the details were left out with Claiborns actual installation, but I think I got, or are getting most of them worked out pretty well as I go along. Money has been a big hangup, so having to spend a lot of time figuring out small details hasn't been such a bad thing...been kinda fun for a newbie anyways. At least I proved to myself a statement made a few years ago that this was "not a job for a one bay garage with a floor jack and a cherry picker" just isn't true...It can be done, even by a first timer.
As usual, a number of guys on the forum have been a great help and source of encouragement, along with some local friends.
When I get closer to being done, I'll condense a thread so it's got all the pertenant info without all the side distractions to wade thru.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2014-02-22 12:15
Rich,nice work.too bad i was not around could have answered alot of your questions
Well, I got one for ya....After I get my '95 engine running with no alterations, I want to swap over to cop to eliminate the coil packs and plug wires. I want to do this primarily to clean up the engine compartment. The low miles engine I ended up using was running perfectly when I pulled it from the donnor car, so I don't want to do any mods to it until I get the wiring harness and the chassis harness wiring done. That way I'll know if something isn't working right, it's not because of any mods I made to the engine. Anyways, my question is this...I couldn't find a Mark viii donor car for the cop valve covers, so I pulled a set off a 97 DOHC Continental. Is there any reason they wouldn't  be compatable from the fwd Continental engine?...as near as I can tell without pulling the covers of the Mark viii engine, they appear to be identical except of course for the cop setup.