News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-02-24 10:23
John, I will be happy to do the numbers if I know what you have and what you are looking for. The Aerostar springs I have have my car sitting too low so I will either use spacers or cut my springs.
Lynn........tell me what you need to know in order to "run the numbers", and I'll see what I have and what info. I can obtain from Eaton. I have Eaton springs, but it is a different spring than Rich has used.
John

lalessi1

All I need is the wire diameter, the spring outside diameter, the free length, and the coil spacing. A photo would help in counting the number of active coils. You do not count the flat coil (top), but you count the rest up to the very end of the open coil (bottom). See this link for the active (free) coil thing.

http://springipedia.com/compression-counting-coils.asp
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-02-24 12:20
All I need is the wire diameter, the spring outside diameter, the free length, and the coil spacing. A photo would help in counting the number of active coils. You do not count the flat coil (top), but you count the rest up to the very end of the open coil (bottom). See this link for the active (free) coil thing.

http://springipedia.com/compression-counting-coils.asp
Lynn.........I'm not ignoring you sir. I'll get the information soon. Posting photos here is admittedly a challenge for me. But I'll try again when I get all the necessary information for you.

lalessi1

No problem, your schedule. A picture is not necessary just another set of eyes counting active coils. BTW, I think we hijacked Rich's thread, we should start another one....
Lynn

RICH MUISE

checking in from Phoenix....picked up a set of seat belts at Socal Friday that should work pretty well. I've got to get them installed before my wife will go out for a drive.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Drove my car a little today on bumpy roads to make sure the springs were settled in before alignment tomorrow. Glad I did, the car settled about 1/2"- 3/4  up front to a 13 1/4-13 1/2 spindle to fender height. Exactly what I was hoping for.
Had another issue pop up though. My volt meter is going all the way over after the engine runs for 15 seconds or so. At first I thought it might just be my gages, but I also noticed when I have the A/C fan on, it stops blowing when the gage moves up. Any suggestions from you electrical guys??
the gage still moves up even if the fan isn't on. I'm thinking I need to start pulling fuses until the gage returns to normal position to figure out what circuit is causing the problem. If it were a short, wouldn't it be blowing a fuse??

Sandiaman

Check volts at the battery while it is running. You might have a bad voltage regulator inside the alternator. Should be about 14- 14.5  If it spikes at the battery you will see it .Also too high of voltage will drain your water out of your battery.If everything looks good there then it must be in the circuit from the alternator to the dash gauge. A bad regulator will overcharge as well as undercharge.

RICH MUISE

Thanks...my car will be in the alignment shop tommorrow, but I'll check that out when I get it back.

RICH MUISE

Got the car back from alignment...sure handles great. He said the Toe was off quite a bit.
Electrical problem:.....I checked the battery, it was at 13.1 volts with engine off. With engine running it checked out at 17.2 v. Got to be the internal regulator in the alternator, right??

billd5string

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-03-09 12:19
Got the car back from alignment...sure handles great. He said the Toe was off quite a bit.
Electrical problem:.....I checked the battery, it was at 13.1 volts with engine off. With engine running it checked out at 17.2 v. Got to be the internal regulator in the alternator, right??

I would think so. If the battery is low, the voltage might creep up a bit while charging the battery back up, but 17.2 sounds high to me under all cases. I agree that sounds like internal regulator to me.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

RICH MUISE

Online rebuilt alternators start about 165.! Mine is at a local starter/alternator shop being rebuilt now. I'll have it back tomorrow...65 for a total rebuild.
Thanks for the input, Bill...we'll know for sure tomorrow, lol.

billd5string

Any update? Did they verify the regulator was bad and replace it?
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

RICH MUISE

As it turned out, they did not have the parts in stock, so he's going to try for tomorrow. I hope so, so I don't lose the wekend. I do have a spare complete engine, but it hasn't run for 7 years or so. I could pull the alternator off it just to see if it works.
My daily driver got sideswiped this morning by a hit and run driver, so that shot most the day getting estimates, etc.
While I'm waiting on the alternator, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my horns, and also working on getting my bugeye headlight rings buffed out and mounted.

billd5string

I'm sorry to hear about your daily driver, that sucks. An alternator that hasn't been used in a few years would still work fine, but why bother if you are getting a fresh rebuilt one tomorrow anyway.
However if it doesn't come through, you certainly could use it through the weekend.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

RICH MUISE

My whole week has been like that. Tonight I noticed the parking lights were on in my DD/Subaru. all switches are off! I had to pull the neg battery cable. I'm guessing it's the multifunction switch on the steering colum.