News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

KULTULZ

- IMPROVED FYB UPPER OILING -

Here is the secret to good upper oiling for the mid-1956 to 1962 (PASS CAR) FYB-

And no, it is not race engine only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw1-lKWsmAc

Also -

- https://www.eatonbalancing.com/2021/12/31/y-block-top-end-oiling-woes/

- https://www.enginekits.com/enginetech-cc508-camshaft-bearing-set.html

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

mustang6984

Thanks. Good info. :006:

Gary...I was signed up for a class but they canceled it...I was the ONLY one signed up for it.  >:( 
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Okay...started to toy with the Fairlane today. Was gonna try spinning the engine over. It had the cylinders oiled down right after I purchased it, and has been inside for 2+ months now.
Appears that it is frozen up solid. Cannot turn it at all...and I have NO desire to bust the bolt off in the crank. Briefly tossed around the idea of taking it out on the back of a chain and slapping it into 3rd gear...but with no brakes to speak of...nope.
So out she comes and on to the engine stand...perhaps Friday or Saturday. I need to do a little more work on putting things straight in the shop before I pull it...but should be able to yank her by Saturday. (I am still gonna need to build that second shop...where did all this stuff come from?  :dontknow: )
The good news...NO sign whatsoever of any oil leaks front, back or on either side.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Good news...NO sign of any leaking on either end or the front or rear!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Trunk is in pretty decent shape. I had a rod shop guy near me come and look at it. He saw two places that he needs to make patches for, and I can get the drop for the spare. I've seen 4 of the vehicles he has made panels for...Yea...he can do that for me!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

I see they put a plate over the road draft tube opening, did they add a PCV system?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

If they did...it must be the tube coming out of the oil pan. To be honest I didn't look for one. I'll look again tomorrow when I go out. But there isn't any sign of one in either valve cover. Now I am curious...hope that doesn't keep me up all night...or make me put my boots back on and walk down to the shop to look! LOL!!!

Oh...and forgot I am doing a cruise Saturday to an 80 year old Restaurant in Springdale AR, so Sunday, 10:00 a..m. CST time...yanking that bad boy out of the car! Open invite...come on over!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

That tube coming out of the oil pan, is in fact, the oil feed tube that includes the pick up screen assembly in side the pan, the tubes goes thru the side of the oil pan, (with a gasket and nut), and into the oil pump, with a rubber seal and a gland nut to secure the tube into the external oil pump, and prevent leaks, both oil and vacuum. Unless a PCV system has been added, either to the lifter valley cover, valve covers, or oil filler tube, and connected to engine vacuum, I would recommend finding an original road draft tube assembly, that bolts to the front of the drivers side of the engines block skirt. Otherwise there is no way to allow the crankcase vapours and pressure to escape.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Would a PCV system not work better? while I don't have to worry too much about the road draft tube system here...I would kind of like to make it cleaner.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Hugh.........Springdale is where Jerry's Classic Cars is located.
www.jerrysclassiccars.com 
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Thanks. I'll be with  car club so no chance to drop by, but I will keep my eyes out for his place, perhaps we'll pass by it. I don't know the route, not leading the cruise. But good to know he is nearby! I suspect I'll be visiting him often...and perhaps soon.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

HUGH, a  post 57 factory PCV system ( 61-ish) is easy to detect. look at the driver side rear (at firewall) of your intake manifold and the lifter valley cover below it. if there is a bung and pipe coming from there and going up into the carb spacer plate, you got PCV.

mustang6984

I'll check. Carb is off now, but the rest of the stuff is till attached. Thanks.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

I may have opened another can of worms  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2023-01-20 09:46I may have opened another can of worms  :003:

YOU? Nah...NEVER! Could NEVER happen! LOL!!! :003:

G...here is a pic of what I believe you described...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker