News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

X2 what Gunter said. There are 57 Ford forums on facebook that are easier to use when it comes to posting pics or responding to other posts. That's not a knock on James and this forum, it's just the nature of how the different platforms work.
The worst thing about those forums though, is they are filled with "experts" who obviously don't know the difference between an old Ford and a vespa scooter, but won't hesitate to regale everyone with their vast (and usually very wrong) knowledge. This is a big reason why I've sworn off social media for the last few months, except for the occasional visits to wish friends a happy birthday.
The opposite is true with this forum. Most everyone here is truly knowledgeable regarding these old Fords, and skilled mechanics in their own right. Those who are new to the hobby here are treated respectfully and have no problem getting the help they need. It is sad though to see the older members leave the hobby for whatever reason.

djfordmanjack

great statement, Marc. This is really a gentlemen's club here. I think that some 'older' and other members are not even leaving the hobby. From personal experience I know there are simply times when people have to care for their loved ones or receive treatments for whatever reason or have things to do and just don't find the time to get out, drive their car or join the internet forum anymore. Some of our members may just be experiencing that.
I mostly don't care what I hear or see on those open social media channels that can be watched on the internet. Some of that is purely showing off and just about receiving likes or viewers. I don't understand that. a passion is about a certain thing or style that we love. It is cool to share with friends and like minded and to have some people agree or just correct us, if we made a mistake, but who needs thousands of views and followers? it is  always nice to somewhat know the guys you are hanging out with !

mustang6984

I have a "smart phone" but I don't use it for this site. Nor do I bank on it or do my e-mail on it. It is a phone, and I shoot pics with it sometimes. Though I still prefer my 35 mm Canon for serious photography.
I am pretty sure that the loss of attention on the site is due to it not being as responsive as the old format. No notifications from discussions tends to make one who is busy just forget to look in. If this new format were as attentive to users as the old...I am sure the participation would rise as well. The lack of use on my part is due to that lack of "knock knock" that used to come every day from various threads...even ones I didn't post in but read for info.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

abe_lugo

Hey guys. I pretty much check for some new stuff everyday. 
Mike's wagon coming along...  Reading some updates here is nice too.   But yeah it's very slow.  The HAMB is the same 20 guys talking to the new kid. 

Im just busy with too much work.  For the Matchbox cars it was just for a short list of regulars that commented on the post.  Let me know I still have a few.
As far a email or PM notification. On a phone it's just hard to see that a PM came in. 

I'm also off of FB so I don't know anything about those groups.  Just old style forums for me. 

Been driving the CS I bought 1-2 times a week and making little fixes here and there.  Also driving the Hardtop when I get a chance.  I really need to seal it up inside and get some seats done. 
Currently looking for some proper lakepipes.  I might have to weld some up. 
FYI I do Instagram. Non a constant stream but it might be the best place to reach me.  abelugo is my username.

Everyone just keep posting even if short burbs and a sideways photo.   
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Jeff Norwell

I am around.... and lurk about mostly every day... Life is always busy for me..... in the next day we begin a local show called the Jam Up.. since the virus.. our show has been cancelled for 2 years +.... this coming weekend it starts again and it will be 3 days of very busy work days.(600-800 cars,6 bands vendors,swap meet and Mini Bike drags) Sometimes its like herding cats.
My personal work is so heavy and it leaves me with little time... family also keeps me busy... working on 2 57's.. one is stalled in the paint shop , the other I need a summers rest.
I peruse Ford Barn, never say much, here, not saying much and Mod the Hamb.... mostly battling spam bots.
Vey anxious to complete my 57's... I wanna drive them.... I am the complete opposite..... I enjoy driving, road trips and only doing builds in the cold winter months.

And to be completely honest.. without getting into politics,. the state of our world is kinda depressing.
So.. I stay quiet.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

Glad to have you back Jeff!
I hear ya. didn't want to mention it, but obviously your last point is also spot on, imho. Many rather depressing things have been happening over the past years.

RICH MUISE

Good reason to keep my head buried in sand and not watch the news.

Did an oil change on the '57 last Friday. I've been using a plier-type filter wrench which I have a hard time gripping and getting a good feel for tightness. Anyways, my new filter is leaking, so I bought a set of cup type filter "sockets" for a socket wrench. I'm going to pull the filter off and replace it with another new one, hopefully the new tool will get me a better feel. Interesting enough, the old filter and the new filter have two different patterns on the ends, but the Harbor freight set has both configurations.
I changed to 10-30 Mobil 1 oil last year. Yes, I understand the relationship of oil pressure/resistance to flow, but the 5-30 I was using got my gauge to "0" at idle. My brain just wasn't comfortable with that, thus the change in viscosity to set my mind at ease. It now reads about 5 or 10 at idle.
Mobil 1 10-30 "extended protection"@ O'Reilly's 39.97 per 5 qt jug. Walmarts for the same 26.98!
Got my gas credit card statement online this morning. Last Saturday I topped off the '57 at Love's in Clovis, NM. before I went to meet the cruise guys (who never showed). My top-off was 17.00 which showed on my statement followed by a 175.00 charge at the same Love's!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Just a couple of pics of my completed shop and I wanted to give a special thanks to all my friends as well as my nephew, who got everything moved and in place for me while I've been laid up. :)
Now, if I could only get out there and use it....:(

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

"laid up"? did I miss something, I assumed you had healed from your foot injury?
Hell of a shop setup, Joe. Didn't know you had a Bridgeport...and variable speed to boot. A suggestion......keep your eyes open for a Kurt Ang-loc vise. Major improvement over the Bridgeport vise you have.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

We havent had time to do anything car related this summer, at all. Sold our place in North Vancouver and bought a small acreage in the southern Okanagan. The house is fairly new so it doesn't need anything done except perhaps a bit of landscaping. The area were in is semi-rural with a mix of single family residential, fruit orchards and vineyards. Both my 57 and Mustang are still in the lower mainland, picking up the Mustang Thursday and the 57 the following week. One thing I realized is I have way too much crap, so started selling some of it off. The house has an attached two car garage that I built a work bench and shelving to store my stuff until next spring to start on a proper and functional detached shop. More than likely a steel building 800-900 sq.ft. should be fine or at least enough to store one car, truck and camper.

Views from the north and south......

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Marc

Great looking shop Joe!

CobraJoe

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Rich, those anglelock vises are nice, but they ain't cheap!
As far as my injury goes Rich, in the end, I had broken my Tibia & Fibula below the knee, my ankle broke in 4 place like an "X". broke two bones in my foot and now have to go for knee surgery.  :deadhorse:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

mustang6984

Quote from: rmk57 on 2022-08-28 09:46We havent had time to do anything car related this summer, at all. Sold our place in North Vancouver and bought a small acreage in the southern Okanagan. The house is fairly new so it doesn't need anything done except perhaps a bit of landscaping. The area were in is semi-rural with a mix of single family residential, fruit orchards and vineyards. Both my 57 and Mustang are still in the lower mainland, picking up the Mustang Thursday and the 57 the following week. One thing I realized is I have way too much crap, so started selling some of it off. The house has an attached two car garage that I built a work bench and shelving to store my stuff until next spring to start on a proper and functional detached shop. More than likely a steel building 800-900 sq.ft. should be fine or at least enough to store one car, truck and camper.

Randy...these people are great to work with. Not sure if they get up into Canada...but worth a try. They not only sell it, they install and build it on a foundation you have poured.
https://alansfactoryoutlet.com/  Toll Free:  1-800-488-6903
They have places all over the U.S. I know. Mine is coming from Oklahoma I believe. Person I have for my contact is named Christie Bayless. Actually lives about 100 miles north of me in MO.

And your place looks heavenly!  :003:  I may have to do a road trip one day...!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2022-08-28 10:37Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Rich, those anglelock vises are nice, but they ain't cheap!
As far as my injury goes Rich, in the end, I had broken my Tibia & Fibula below the knee, my ankle broke in 4 place like an "X". broke two bones in my foot and now have to go for knee surgery.  :deadhorse:

DANG Buddy! You did it up real good! Should I send you a quart of Moonshine? (Yes...there is a place here outside of Branson that sells the real stuff...legally! LOL!!!)
Your shop looks nice. Especially with those three rides in it! Have you been totally grounded or have you been able to at least get out and go for a drive now and then?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

I took the '39 out last Sunday for the first time to a show in town; other than that, I haven't used either car this year. I would love to go to the bigger shows and cruises, but I enjoy walking around and seeing the other rides and walking with a cane and having to stop and sit kinda sucks.  :grandpaSimpson:
Not a big fan of shine, Jack Daniels on the other hand....
You should have moved to Tennessee :)