News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

I'm 71, be 72 in March, and have been "lucky" over the years until last fall.  That ol prostate thing causing the kidneys to try and go south has been a wake up call.  After nearly 30 years in the Navy and 18 years of walking steel decks, on and off smoking, abusing alcohol (beers) on more then one occasion my health was always steady and good.  No foot or ankle/knee/hip problems.  I can even still hear after being on an aircraft carrier before there was ear protection!  After the prostate was squared away it has been trying to get back to "full speed ahead".  I was absolutely surprised at how much stamina I had lost.  Getting better, able to put in 5 - 6 hours at a time now with out doing that after lunch nap thing and keep a good eye on anything that don't seam quite right.  As stated, getting old ain't for wimps!

Just got back in town after a visit in Copperas Cove, TX with my daughter and the grand daughters 10th birthday.  Drive back was right at 12 hours, did very well with no naps!  Get back at it after catching up on all the chores.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57imposter

I remember when we would wrestle these things in and out by ourselves. The good side about getting older and a little smarter is figuring how to make things a little easier. I threw sone scrap pieces together to set the third member up on my R.V. jack. with any kind of luck, it should slip right in with little effort.

Ford Blue blood

Yup!  Have one of those for transmissions (FMX), third members, and doors!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Soooooo glad you were able to whip that prostate problem. I have recently figured out part of my breathing problem is apparently alergies. I never had that problem that I'm aware of, but several road trips to New Mexico where I had real trouble breathing compared to equally high altitude trips to Colorado where I didn't have as much trouble told me something had changed. My wife had been getting those alergy inhalers, so I tried it and it helps alot to open my lungs up a bit.
Speaking of Kidney problems....my wife is at the VA hospital. We took her in yesterday because of what we thought was a back issue, and turns out she had a kidney infection and some good size kidney stones. They went in last night and put in a stint and have her on IVs. She'll come home tommorrow, then back in Monday for them to break up the stones. Love the care she gets at the VA, did another catscan on her yesterday.
Got a good portion of my garage door enclosure done. Should be done with the siding today. Next is shortening a steel door......should be fun.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I modified my engine crane for double duty as transmission jack and center section jig.  I too was surprised how heavy 9" pigs have gotten.

hiball3985

Yep, had to make an trans adapter for my floor jack when I installed the 3 speed OD T85.. They are way heavier then they were 50 yeas ago   :005:
My wife is recovering from surgery on her jaw, 6 weeks of only soft foods and she's starving.
Simple removal of a wisdom tooth yielded much more, a tumor and a hole which required bone crafts, luckily the tumor wasn't cancer. The whole right side of her face is major black and blue and swollen.
I went with her to the grocery store and people were given me dirty looks.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

in this case, people better mind their own business. getting sick sucks big time. hopefully she will be alright asap.

RICH MUISE

I certainly hope your wife gets better soon. Another thing with getting older, it sure takes longer for things to heal.
Although uncomfortable, it's alright for folks to be vigilant when they see a child or woman looking battered.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-08-24 10:54
I certainly hope your wife gets better soon. Another thing with getting older, it sure takes longer for things to heal.
Although uncomfortable, it's alright for folks to be vigilant when they see a child or woman looking battered.
She is coming along OK, hope your wife is doing better also. I told mine I wasn't going out in public with her again until I can have a T shirt made that says " I DIDN'T DO IT"  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57imposter

Quote from: gasman826 on 2018-08-23 18:53
I modified my engine crane for double duty as transmission jack and center section jig.  I too was surprised how heavy 9" pigs have gotten.
Now THAT is a great idea. would have never thought of that.

57imposter

Quote from: 57imposter on 2018-08-23 09:22
I remember when we would wrestle these things in and out by ourselves. The good side about getting older and a little smarter is figuring how to make things a little easier. I threw sone scrap pieces together to set the third member up on my R.V. jack. with any kind of luck, it should slip right in with little effort.
Well that POS didn't work!  I'm just going to drop the rear end housing out and put the third member in on the floor. It will probably;y take about half as long as I spent trying to get my great idea to work.

Tom S

Quote from: 57imposter on 2018-08-24 15:36
Well that POS didn't work!  I'm just going to drop the rear end housing out and put the third member in on the floor.
Why didn't it work?  Looks like it should. Housing out & back in sounds like a lot of extra work.

Used my motorcycle jack/lift that's just like yours to help a friend put a 5 speed trans back into his brand X '55.  Worked great.

57imposter

Quote from: Tom S on 2018-08-24 17:37
Why didn't it work?  Looks like it should. Housing out & back in sounds like a lot of extra work.

Used my motorcycle jack/lift that's just like yours to help a friend put a 5 speed trans back into his brand X '55.  Worked great.

It would work if it was attached to a transmission jack. You have to get the housing lined up perfectly to go on the studs. you need the adjustments that a transmission has. Pulling the rear end housing was easy and it's all back together.

Tom S

Quote from: 57imposter on 2018-08-24 23:35
You have to get the housing lined up perfectly to go on the studs.
For sure. It looked like you could shim/pry your fixture up off the jack a bit for the tilt alignment. Side to side would be easy enough. If those jacks had swiveling caster wheels on both ends it would be even easier. Be nice to spin my bikes around without needing half the garage to do it in too. 

Ecode70D

Jim
      Until you get a T shirt made, you can just make a  "I DIDN'T DO IT"  sign on  piece of cardboard, put some string on it and hang it around your neck.  That should keep people from bothering you. 
       Just trying to help.    Jay