News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

Thanks, but I haven't had much luck either, was hoping someone who may have completed a recent restoration might have a code.
Thanks again,
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

Just thought of something; not sure if I am out line posting this stuff here, if so, Mods, please feel free to move it.
thanks

Joe
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

RICH MUISE

Nothing wrong with your posts being here........except if they're not in a build thread, they are hard to find down the road. I started this morning coffee thread years ago for the guys to talk about whatever was on their mind.
I wish my door gaps were 1/2 as good as yours.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I have a link on my computer to a guy that has restored a bunch of '57 & '58 Fords over the years. sells them or does them on consignment. I will try and call him and ask. I bet he would know what ya' need. I forgot where the link came from now, but it's right next to my link to the forum.   :sunny:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

IIRC this was discussed before, perhaps even in a build thread.  I believe the correct Ardent Silver was found either in Dupli-color or Rustoleum.
Terry

djfordmanjack

Joe fwiw, that is correct. The og air cleaner was also painted 'Argent silver'.

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-05-29 20:00

I too, came up with the Motorcraft spray paint, I believe that Silver Argent is for engine accessories.

CobraJoe

Thanks DJ, but I don't think that there is anything on that can label I could convert to a mixable paint code/formula.

CobraJoe

Thanks for the compliments on the gaps Rich, I'm not there yet, but I'm close. Truth of the matter is, for the few hundred dollars I had to spend, at this stage of the game, it just made sense to me to correct it before assembling everything and attaching it permanently.

Ford Blue blood

Like most things in life, "if the foundation is out of square so is the rest".  Nice catch, you will not regret that money spent.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CobraJoe

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-05-30 06:51
Like most things in life, "if the foundation is out of square so is the rest".  Nice catch, you will not regret that money spent.

Thanks Bill, I know I won't regret it. But, it definitely  helps to have a friend with the right equipment willing to help out.  :thumbsup:

hiball3985

The name Argent was given to this color because it wasn't silver or grey, somewhere in between the two. Argent is a French word for silver. All the manufactures in the 50's had some different shades of Argent. Most of the Motorcraft cans of Argent are wheel paints, I've seen darker and lighter shades and never found one that was close to the original. The closes thing I found was from Macs auto parts about eight years ago, don't know if they still sell it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Terry and Jim, thanks for the info. I was really hoping someone had an actual paint code, if not, I'm just going to wing it....wait, I'll bet JViera has a code, he just finished up a beautiful restoration last year. I'm going to give him a ring...

CobraJoe

As always, John Viera had the correct info. Here it is for anyone who needs it:

DELTRON (PPG) 8568 ARGENT SILVER.

Thanks John!!!!

hiball3985

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-05-30 08:04
As always, John Viera had the correct info. Here it is for anyone who needs it:

DELTRON (PPG) 8568 ARGENT SILVER.

Thanks John!!!!
I'm pretty sure that is what GM used, Corvette wheels etc. It will be interesting to see how close it is to the Ford color.
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Argent. Here is 85 Argent colors  :003:
Nothing listed for 57 Fords
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Be sure to let us know how it works out, or what else you find. I've got the Argent silver # that John had posted in our tech info links.........I'll remove it if not correct.
Just my 2 cents, and I'm far from a restoration freak, but is someone here expecting a judge to show up with color chips to check for an exact match? Overthought. Find a color you like, be it body color or silver and don't look back, probably no one else will be.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe