News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Project 302 update

Started by robhaerr, 2012-02-24 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Another update after dropping off the wagon and stopping by a few days later.

Bobby Walden is very impressed with the S&T Fabrications rack and pinion unit!!! He told me that he has had lousy experience with similar kits in the past for his other hot rod projects. They were very impressed by the crate and the quality. Bobby was very pleased that the universal joints came with the kit and how the instructions were laid out. I should have filmed more as they uncrated the unit...my director skills were lacking on this day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvjLiPKdTMo&feature=share

Rob

robhaerr

Another update as we get the 302 down to Walden Speed Shop. We also get a tour of a bitchen '32 3-window...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDYImRUpqc

Billy Gibbons took a ride in that '32 the day before. They drove it from Pomona to the Fender guitar factory in Corona, CA...no mufflers...love.....it. Hope you can see this video from Walden Speed Shop Facebook site...don't think I have ever seen the Rev Gibbons without his cheap sunglasses...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=293060357435351

Rob
...feeling 14.

robhaerr

The S & T Fabrications rack and pinion unit is bolted-in nicely!

Bobby Walden and his guys are extremely impressed with this unit...the way it was crated and shipped, the instructions, the workmanship, the universal joints...thanks Wildhog and Yellowagon! http://www.stfabrications.herobo.com/

Photos so far...steering column has not been worked yet...lookin' good...

Rob

gasman826

Huh...looks just like my pictures.  What steering column are you using?  One of the surprising things that I experienced is that you can hardly turn the steering wheel with the R&P setup.  It will turn just fine with the engine running but dead stick is another thing.  You'll really have to armstrong it.  The 'mid ship bearing' is a real challenge to get right but when it works it will be great.

robhaerr

gasman...

I am using the stock column. I want to keep the look of the stock wheel, too....at least for now.

Bobby sees no problem at this point, is sure the horn will work with the horn ring. I wish the previous owner would have put the speakers in the kick panel instead of the doors. I might put speakers in the way back at some point, not sure...just thinking out loud...

Rob

Frankenstein57

Sweeeeeeeeeet, I have to do a wagon one day.  Mark :rock_band:

wildhog

Rob, If you change over to a 58 steering column, with the horn wire running on the out side, you will have no horn problem. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

gasman826

The OEM wheel is neat...just big.  FYI for another upgrade down the road, Bob's Speedometer does some great dash and instrumentation work.  I was visiting his shop for a custom speedometer cable and personal tour.  When I mentioned '57 Ford, I was immediately shown one of their custom instrument clusters for a '57.  They had squeezed in a oil pressure gauge and volt meter in what appeared to be what Henry should have done.  An extremely nice upgrade from great people.  My next dash will be a '65 Thunderbird and Bob's Speedometer will help me swap out the factory gauges to full sweep, electric gauges that will receive signals from the EFI controller.

Mock up phase of the TBird dash in '57.  Doesn't really show the gauges...maybe if you squint a little.

robhaerr

gasman...

I do like what Bob's did with the 57 gauge on this page...
http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/before_and_after.asp

I rather fancy something like this, too...if I mess with the panel later...love this 57...see the photos and article from Street Rodder...
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/0907sr_1957_ford_custom_300/photo_10.html

Honestly...if I could graft the dash from a 59/60 chevy and the hardtop roof from a 57/58 Buick or Oldsmobile wagon onto the body of the 57 Ford wagon...that would be pretty cool...love the roof line. This wagon is pure nasty, and the hardtop roof line is bitchen to let in the air...
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0908_1958_buick_caballero/photo_01.html

But...that would be a fabricational money pit. I will have fun with what I got. Thanks for the tip on the 58 column, Tom!

Rob

gasman826

Nice looking dashes.  I spent days doing this one...may it rest in peace.

robhaerr

A quick 3-minute update with the rack and pinion unit mounted and the engine in place.

Bobby Walden uses the key word, "bitchen", when describing the S & T Fabrications rack and pinion unit. Sorry I said "J and S"...dumbass...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVACkWA1oo

Gettin' closer...cheers...

Rob

gasman826

Looks great!!!  Impressive what a little thinking and fabrication can do.

I see Walden Speed Shop has a nice article in the May issue of STREET RODDER.  I hope this doesn't keep them so busy that it impacts your projects timeline.

robhaerr

Gasman...

Yes, Walden is a busy shop. That white car behind Bobby is getting built for Holley...and there are several ground-up 32 Fords being built. He said 11 of them.

It does affect how fast my car gets done, but the quality of work is great and they are all great guys that know I don't have the deep pockets like their other clients. These "old hot rods" he builds are not cheap by any measure!

I think Bobby also likes that there is a "late model" in the shop. He seems to enjoy working with me on these silly videos, too! The fabricator, Matt...was really shy about not wanting to be on video...I basically ambushed him on this last clip.

I'll have to touch-up the oil pan.

Rob

RICH MUISE

Rob...I'm really enjoying your videos..great job. Looking forward to some follow up video on your final hookup to the rack and pinion..will be doing that on mine as soon as I get my interior done and my steering wheel installed. Glad to hear all the praise on the r & p from a top shop like Walden's...I know I was sure impressed with how easy and well it fit..but I don't know anything.
I'm going to add Bob's speedometer to our list of '57 ford specific supplier links...it's been a while since we've had someone new to add.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Gary..not to hijack Rob's thread, but I really like the t-bird dash you're doing. As you may or may not know, I'm really into the mild customizing side of our hobby and it is really really dificult to come up with something that is unique and the hardest part..tasteful. I know a lot of the guys probably cringe when they see what I'm doing to mine..but that's ok..that's why we're into this thing to begin with...to have something different. Keep up the good work.
I'll try to find a pic of my dash in stage 1...I'll be recovering and reinstalling later this month with some changes.
Rich
PS sorry about the small pic...lost the original image in a computer crash, and a stolen camera...should have it on disc somewhere.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe