News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Dupli-color makes engine paint,primer and clear coat. Ford Red, PN DE-1605
Lynn

mustang6984

Quote from: gasman826 on 2023-04-14 11:48I think you will find the tractor stores have quarts and rattle cans of Ford Red.  It is Ford tractor red but I think it is extremely close to Ford car engine red.

Thank you Gary. I'll look.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2023-04-14 13:25Dupli-color makes engine paint,primer and clear coat. Ford Red, PN DE-1605

EXCELLENT! I'll need to re-paint the block and heads. I assume since it is dedicated as engine paint it will stand up to the heart and not peel off as soon as it gets hot.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2023-04-14 11:31Well...I was just down in the shop...and looked at mine. And...here is something to twist the mind now. One of mine is smooth as glass...(probably had the sticker/decal originally) The other...is embossed (stamped) with FORD in it.
I would like to have another that says FORD to be honest.
I'll shoot pics when I go back down. Just finished lunch...heading down now.
I think the FORD ones were from 58 to 64
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2023-04-14 12:21Jim, the valley cover is black on your engine. would that be factory correct or your own personal choice? I thought they could have been red.

Just my choice..I'm not politically correct either :-)
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2023-04-14 18:02I think the FORD ones were from 58 to 64

I like the Ford one. If anyone has one or more they want to part with...I'll take it/them.  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

So...went to the shop today and worked on the front left fender that was damaged when the deadbeat cut my straps on the way home causing the car to come off the trailer and roll into the trailer.
BUT...I forgot to take pics of the damaged areas...so all I have to post is the repaired areas.
Does not look to bad if I say so myself. Slow and easy and it came out pretty decent.

1st pic...there was a large concave dent at an angle from right below the bottom body line at a 45 degree angle toward the wheel well. A little massaging with a port-a-power and then hammer and dolly and a block of wood...and looks pretty fair again.
2nd pic...same spot...just a better look.
3rd pic...where the rust is there was a dent that was about 2 inches long and 1 1/2 high. Took  little bit of soft massaging with a small hammer and dolly.
4th pic...all gone!
Pics are not all that great...and without previous pics of the damage...kinda hard to tell what is what. I'll remember to shoot before and after pics next time. :005:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

I seem to remember the "FORD" valve covers were on the 272s if that is the case you might be building a sleeper! Lol!
Lynn

mustang6984

Well...once I decide to go forward...I just go. LOL!!!
Decided to order the floor pans for the Fairlane..so called EMS and ordered the floor pans just now. Paid for them with the VISA and hung up.
Then...well...it dawned on me...the guy never told me how much I had just spent...and I never asked! Can't believe I did that...must be either a case of car lust...or old age...LOL!!!
I think I'm gonna go with car lust!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Okay...just got back from the machine shop.
First...the engine is a 312 not a 292.
Second...one of the heads has some spider cracks in it, but he says they are repairable.
Third...ample evidence that the heads at least have been worked on before...as the head with the cracks had cracks in another location before which was repaired. However, I asked if the head had been planed after the repair, thinking that something was off that the same head has cracks in it twice. There is also evidence that there has been a blown head gasket before on the same head, while the other has not had any issues of any sort.
He said he doesn't think the head was planed. So...both heads will be getting planed and the block deck is also going to be planed to be sure everything is flat as a 5 day old bottle of pop that has been left uncapped!
Fourth...we discussed the fuel system...and I am going to stay with the 2 bbl carb. Since I am not looking for a racer but just a cruiser, I am not willing to spend another grand for an intake and a new carb. If I decide later to make a change in that part, spend that much cash, it will probably be to go with an injection system.
Also had the body guy over Saturday. I have a list of panels to buy. Floors as stated in post above are already on order...from EMS and just a shade under $900.00

Progress...still don't see the light on the other end of the tunnel...yet...but I have been told there is one.   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

AND...the floors just arrived 5 minutes ago!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Progress!. Keep it going!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Just unwrapped them. They're oh so purddy!!! :003:
Looks like I will need to put new body mounts in before I remove and replace the floors though. Body guy said the originals are pretty ugly and might have an effect on the floors being installed. So...ordering those tomorrow.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

What seems to be the preferred place to go for body mount replacements? Need to order some tonight. Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker