News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

I'm with ya'; my rear end repairing days on the ground are over:

I guess I need a disco ball though?   :003:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

terry_208

Gentlemen, I see two styles of lifts here.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two (two post vs 4 post)?
Terry

gasman826

- two post is harder to get in and out of the vehicle
- very difficult to do interior work while on a two post
- most work is more accessible on a two post
- brake and wheel work can be done on a four post but I've always bang my elbows
- four post ramps also double as handy benches.
- always buy the optional folding, roller jack for the four post
- some four posts don't have to be bolted to the floor...add a wheel kit and they can be rolled out of the way or even outside
- any kind of post is always in the way...it's a post.
- four post is great for front-end and headlight alignment work
- I loved a two post inground

There is another hoist to consider.  It is a single post on one side, above ground, with swing arms across to the other side.  7K lb. MAX.  On wheels and can be rolled into the corner when not in use.  One entire side is post free for wheel, body and interior work.  Reversible side to side.

mustang6984

I became a 4-post guy when we had an earthquake out west, and the car on top decided to marry the car below. UGLY marriage.
Having said that, I still prefer the 4-post, I just like the stability.
But like Gary said, they both have disadvantages and advantages.

Mine is a 4-post with the wheel kit he mentioned.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Thanks for the explanation of the pros and cons.  The last lift I was under was a single post in the middle.  That was over 50 years ago and in a service station.
Terry

CobraJoe

In my old shop, I had four lifts; two of each. Twin posts are great for anything that you need to remove the wheels, such as brake jobs and rotating tires. Unfortunately twin posts need to be bolted to the ground. I have radiant heat in my shop and it was not an option for me.
As mentioned, vehicle access with a twin is a pain in the ass as the doors are always at the posts so you have to leave the vehicle in neutral when you exit and then roll it forward to center it.

I use mine for storage also, so I definitely wanted a four post. I opted for a wheeled lift so I can move it if necessary. If I needed the whole shop for something, I can move outside.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Anybody consider a pit instead of a lift? I would think just as accessible as a 4 post, probably safer, and cheaper. Whenever I have to work under my car nowadays, I can't help but think of the local gas station we had that had an outdoor pit that the owner use to let us kids use.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Rich, think about it.
Wanna use an outside pit in the freezing winter or during hard rain, wind, mosquitos & other flying bugs in summer?  No thanks.  Cheaper? You got a backhoe? With relative ease & by myself I put up a 4 post lift in my garage & near all my tools. Someone would have to plan ahead on home or garage construction to have one inside but you'd still have a big hole in your garage floor.

gasman826

I worked several pits...most were setup for alignments.  I agree...pits have the limitations of 4-posts and then some.  Pits usually are narrower than 4-posts.  You have to carry everything up and down the steps.  If I had a pit, I would use it.  If I had to pay to have a pit built, a 4-post cost would be very cost competitive.  At one time, OSHA poo-pooed pits as unsafe.  Flammable fluids and vapors could settle into the pit so one drop of the ole trouble light could cause a flash fire.  Most old pits had one way in and one way out.  Pits are still used in places like the quick oil service places.  Those are built with more than one egress and have fire suppression systems.

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

I got my 1969 Koni 3 (metric) ton 4-post by coincidence more than 10 years ago, still love it! it has a pneumatic (short cylinder with adjustable fork) axle lift on a sled that works the full length of the main rails.

djfordmanjack

I wonder if anybody is ready for some spicy Blues sauce ?
Man, I heard this band live last Saturday, and they sure roll hard. Little wonder, again they come from Sweden, of all places....
maybe not politically correct lyrics, but then - who cares ? :003:

Marc

QuoteI wonder if anybody is ready for some spicy Blues sauce ?

DJ you always post the best tunes

Jeff Norwell

The great George Poteet has passed... a super human individual that was a beacon for this Hobby..... never met the man... sure would have loved too. Nothing but great words about this man.

Rest Easy George.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Meet Poteet a couple of times.  First at the Nats East.  Sitting with the group I ran with.  Fellow walks up and wants to know if the 34 Sedan was for sale.  Stan said "it could be" and George asked if they could take a ride.  As they loaded up George handed his cooler to one of us to "keep an eye on it".  They got back from the ride, George walked up, grabbed the cooler and started pulling out stacks of $100 bills.

Second time was at the Halloween run in Tupelo, MS.  He was there with a black 36 roadster pickup.  Someone had keyed the car from front to back.  Mike and I were expressing outrage on who could do such a thing.  This voice behind us said "it's only a car, it can be fixed".  We turned around and it was George.  Very nice, unassuming man.  He spoke humbly of his car building and graciously of the folks that did the work.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II