News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

« Reply #3396 on:
   I like 58's also and especially liked the   cool stainless on the sides of the green and white one.  (3396) .  Eventually I did get one and 
it had an FE with 3 speed on the column.

CobraJoe

Jay, that is not the GT40 that Ken Miles dies in, he died in 1966 while testing the J-car at Riverside International Raceway. The J car was intended to be the successor to the famous Ford GT Mk.II. After the death of Walt Hansgen in a J-car Ford, the decision was made to shelve the J-car and focus on the proven Mk II's, and little development was done for the rest of the 1966 World Sports Car Championship season. Finally, in August 1966, Shelby American resumed testing and development work with Miles as the main test driver. After a day of testing at Riverside in the bhot California desert summer weather, Miles approached the end of the track's 1-mile, downhill back straight at top speed of 200+ mph when the car suddenly looped, flipped, crashed and caught fire. The car broke into pieces and ejected Miles, killing him instantly.

The GT40 development program started off not with Ford-engineered cars, but Lola GT chassis. Bruce McLaren and Roy Salvadori served as development drivers, among others, with the team running the Lola GT cars at Monza and at several tracks in England while work progressed on Ford's own cars.

The car pictured is one of the first two Ford GT40 prototypes completed in Slough, England, in the spring of 1964, labeled as chassis GT/101 and GT/102. The 24 Hours of Le Mans being just weeks away, the cars were pushed into track tests just days after being completed, with the development program having only weeks to test the cars in the wind tunnel and on the track. Salvadori, along with test driver Jo Schlesser, pushed the cars to their limits on test tracks in England, while the assembly team at Ford Advanced Vehicles Ltd. in Slough worked to get more cars ready. These GT40 prototypes were powered by Ford's aluminum 4.2-liter engine paired with a Colotti gearbox, producing 350 hp, with Girling disc brakes on all four corners providing the stopping power.

Salvadori and Schlesser discovered early on that there was not enough downforce on the cars' tails at high speed, which made them difficult to control north of 150 mph. Some of the aerodynamic issues were solved, but not before GT/101 and GT/102 had been wrecked. Salvadori and Schlesser were not injured, but the program suffered a setback because of the loss of two prototypes just weeks ahead of Le Mans.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-03-10 16:52
Jay, that is not the GT40 that Ken Miles dies in, he died in 1966 while testing the J-car at Riverside International Raceway.

Joe...it was me that asked...not Jay. FYI.
But thanks for the info. More info on the program prior to Shelby that I wasn't aware of. Gratzi!  :003:

Hugh
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Sorry Hugh, should have put on my glasses.  :grandpaSimpson:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

:glasses1: You can borrow mine. LOL!!! Getting old kinda sucks sometimes  eh?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hemidave

'55 Sunliner
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

hemidave

REBEL GARAGE
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

Ecode70D

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-03-11 04:59
Sorry Hugh, should have put on my glasses.  :grandpaSimpson:

Joe
      I'm going to be a nice guy and not pick on you for that one mistake because I know that you are still getting over the shock
of purchasing that brand new 39 coupe.    Jay 

CobraJoe

Thanks Jay, sometimes I forget abo.......WAIT a minute.......I bought a 39 Coupe???

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Tom S

Never could get my hands on a '56 Vicky. : (
I'd love one that looked like this.

hemidave

Enjoy that top down

Ecode70D

Quote from: Tom S on 2020-03-12 14:57
Never could get my hands on a '56 Vicky. : (
I'd love one that looked like this.