News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

That looks more dangerous than trying to cross I-5 in L.A. on foot at 5 p.m.!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

"That looks more dangerous than trying to cross I-5 in L.A. on foot at 5 p.m.!"..................that's probably not to hard! If I remember the traffic was bumper to bumper stop and go
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Yea...but those drivers don't stop...for anything. If there is room for you to cross...there's room for them to move...that's their attitude.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

Kinda looks like you would have to have landed and walked ashore in order to read that sign. By then...OOPs...too late!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2020-10-21 10:20
Kinda looks like you would have to have landed and walked ashore in order to read that sign. By then...OOPs...too late!

"Gruinard Island is a small, oval-shaped Scottish island approximately 1 1⁄4 miles long by 5⁄8 mi wide, located in Gruinard Bay, about halfway between Gairloch and Ullapool. At its closest point to the mainland it is about  5⁄8 mile offshore. The island was dangerous for all mammals after experiments with the anthrax bacterium in 1942, until it was decontaminated in the late 20th century.

The island was mentioned by Dean Munro who travelled the area in the mid-16th century. He wrote that it was Clan MacKenzie territory, was "full of woods", (a striking comparison with its treelessness today) and that it was  good for fostering thieves and rebels.

The population was recorded as six in 1881, but Gruinard has been uninhabited since the 1920's.

BEFORE THE RUSSIANS HAD EVEN laid the first brick for the Vozrozhdeniye Island bioweapons facility, the British were busy developing Anthrax as a weapon of World War II.

Begun in 1942, a highly virulent strain of Anthrax known as "Vollum 14578" was tested by filling ?bombs? with the deadly bacteria. Once detonated the bombs would burst and a cloud of brown deadly dust would drift down onto a flock of unsuspecting sheep. Though the army learned that they could indeed contaminate German cities so thoroughly as to make them uninhabitable for decades, in the process they made Gruinard itself uninhabitable for nearly five decades.

In the early 1980s, the island, which had been left contaminated with anthrax, became a public threat when a group calling themselves "Operation Dark Harvest" began sending soil from the island to government facilities across the U.K., demanding the island be cleaned. The soil was sufficiently contaminated with anthrax and viewed as genuine threats.

In 1986, the government began cleaning up Gruinard Island by spraying down the entire place with a solution of formaldehyde and seawater. As of 1990 the island was declared "safe" and, in 1997, the history of the project was declassified for the first time.

Since 2007, there has not been a case of anthrax from the test flock of sheep left on the island following decontamination. However, not everyone is convinced the island is safe. In the words of one skeptic, "it is a very resilient and deadly bacterium."

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

For those interested, here is a video of the actual experiment; it picks up after 1:51:

The audio comes and goes, but supposedly was done purposely by the Defense Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) Porton Down for security reasons. The DSTL is an executive agency of the Ministry of Defense of the United Kingdom.
Porton Down is a science park in Wiltshire, England, just northeast of the village of Porton, near Salisbury. It is home to two British government facilities: a site of the Ministry of Defense's Defense Science and Technology Laboratory ? known for over 100 years as one of the UK's most secretive and controversial military research facilities, occupying 7,000 acres and a site of Public Health England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mykjxkwwe0&feature=emb_logo

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

Thanks Joe. Methinks you might have missed your calling in life...maybe should have been a world history professor. Appreciate the story and all the others you put up.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

DAMN!Hit the brakes too hard again!   >:(
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Lou

CobraJoe

:iamwithstupid:   Ah yes, the ol' hoof and mouth factory.

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,