News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Courier rehab

Started by xonewm, 2023-03-20 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Bill, I like that!
BTW, I mailed you the sample today that we recently discussed. Go stand by your mailbox.
John

xonewm

Well, John, that's what I considered doing but I know that wasn't done on the assembly line.
I may end up doing it that way, but I've got to try to figure it out first.

If I can figure this out, next I'll figure out how the Egyptians built the pyramids!
A man with an opinion unhampered by facts.

lalessi1

What I realized on my car is that there is a gap between the hinge and the hood itself. that gap can be adjusted. i found if the gap went from a lot in the rear and zero in the front that would "tilt" the hood and close the gap. I didn't see that at first and now I can adjust the gap to where the hood scrapes the nose piece. My gaps are OK front and sides and a little wide at the cowl. My car was in a fender bender at some point in its life and I did make a couple of mods to add to the adjust-ability.
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Lynn, I found the same thing on the passenger side hinge. With a friend holding the hood up, we closed that gap, so the the hinge is tight to the hood. That helped, but I still had to slot the hinges where they mount to the core support, to get the hood down across the chin panel

My car was also in some fender bender in its past, which I believe has contributed to the hood, passenger fender,and chin panel not going together easily.  The passenger fender replacement has required some massaging to make it fit correctly. I'm glad that the fender is in primer, and not painted!
John

xonewm

Thanks to "lalessi1"!
After loosening the hinge-to-hood bolts I yarded back on the top of the hood while pushing in on the bottom(front) then tightened the bolts. The hood shifted significantly.
Spent all afternoon getting this done on the Courier since the bumper, grill, et cetera are not on it.
Tomorrow I'll the wagon.

I noted that even though the hood hinges have some vertical adjustment on the core support, without Lynn's info it was not enough. :deadhorse:

57chero

You may already know this but once you get your hood fitting right I highly recommend you find a 59-hood latch and install it, you can then shut your hood with one finger instead of having to slam it shut.

akusler763

Can I ask what the difference is with the 59 hood latch that makes them desirable? And how you identify one vs. a 57 latch?

Thanks,
Andy
1957 Fairlane 500 2-door Sedan w 390FE/C6
2001 Mustang GT Convertible
2016 F-150
1968 Thunderbird w 429/C6

gasman826

One moving part rather than two.  A much simpler but superior design.  Easier to pull.  Latches without slamming the hood.

xonewm

I have found that if I press down with the palm of my hand lat the latch location to close it I don't have to slam it.