News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2016-10-27 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

few more pics.....

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

CobraJoe

Nice, neat job; looks fantastic.
I've done "Moonskin" headliners in early Mustangs, but I'm not sure I would even attempt a '57.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2023-05-17 07:29Nice, neat job; looks fantastic.
I've done "Moonskin" headliners in early Mustangs, but I'm not sure I would even attempt a '57.

I asked him about the tougher headliner installs Joe.. he said a 57 was very easy. but a headliner with big sail rear panels was a tricky job..... 
you could pull this off.....

mustang6984

Lookin' good Jeff! Almost ready for a Friday night cruise!  :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2023-05-17 08:30I asked him about the tougher headliner installs Joe.. he said a 57 was very easy. but a headliner with big sail rear panels was a tricky job.....
you could pull this off.....
Thanks, good to know!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ecode70D

Jeff
    I know that you will be driving and enjoying that beautiful car this summer with a big smile on your face.   Keep up the good work. Jay

59meteor

Looks fantastic Jeff! I always wondered how the assembly line workers installed the headliners in these older cars in a matter of a minute or so while building these cars new. I assume Jesse is in Ontario? Any idea if he is planning a vacation to Nova Scotia anytime soon? (Hint, Hint!) I have a new SMS cloth headliner and the windlace that I bought years ago for my 59, that I would love to have a craftsman like him install. Seems to be a lost art, since most cars have gone to 1 piece cardboard backed headliners for the past 30-40 years. Seems that your 57 has more roof bows than my 59 2 door sedan has. Bet you are getting itchy to start driving the black beast!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Jeff Norwell

Rory.. you should give him a call!
I cant see why he would not go out for a summer vacation and do a job for a day.
If you need his number, message me and I will put you guys in contact.
And thanks for the kind words.....

Jeff Norwell

Glass went in flawlessly with the help of 3 pals and a 4 in the cheering section..... rear glass first(15 minutes). Front Glass next, in and done in about 20.
The side quarter glass was a bit more tricky.. but after 30 minutes per side...all good... no rubber puckering and a nice tight seal.
I still have a list of small things to achieve... but that can be done as I go.

So yesterday I fired the Bird up and took it on its maiden voyage..... first..about 5 times around our town..... all good, brakes,gears and drive.I then went out and wheeled to the next town..... rowed they the gears with ease....
I do have a slight timing issue,. but no deal breaker.The car stopped, accelerates and handles very very well.The Big Block is my wheel house.. tons of torque,.. which I really like.I am gonna swap out the radials for the set of Bias plus for about town driving...
Of course, I need to finish the interior(over the next season) some small kinks with a new build.. but over all extremely happy.Our cars are never really done.

I know this thread is very long.... and I want to thank each and everyone of you that followed along, with help, advice and good thoughts.

I certainly learned a lot on this adventure.

This build is now complete.

RICH MUISE

Yahoooo!!!!   Sounds like you had a way better first drive than most of us had.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Congrats! Gonna be a fun summer! :003:  :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

When can you start on mine? It's starting to get a little ratty in places.

That car looks fantastic! I'm really liken the T-bird scoop, like it was made for it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Well....... been a while since I made an update of any kind here.
So my Bus. Tray is finished and installed. My good Pal Rob is a very talented fabricator and a few years back..... I asked him if he was interested in making a Bus. Tray for me.... because finding an original is very difficult, if not impossible.
Anyhow he agreed and In the past year I had to get it finished(or started) because the interior was getting ready to be done.

So..I had access to a real one..... took a great many photos and detailed info.The owner of that tray said I could borrow it.I declined..... just to rare of a part for me to have for an extended period of time.....
so.. E-code here on the board had sketched he made and I did borrow his as a starting point.
I then sketch up a rough.. then reminded it to another large drafting paper and made a template of the tray itself.
I passed this onto Rob..... he then made a metal buck..... and then pounded a tray into shape.
Following the photos I had of the legs and feet.. he made them as well.
We did a test fit, and it was bang on.
He did want to put a strengthener on the underside (which he did)....
I then got it back, fitted once more for good measure,..... Painted it and installed.
I am very happy......

Rob is willing to make a few more..... steel or Aluminum...... yes.. shipping could be tricky.... but he is a manager for a very large trucking firm.

In the end.... I have one of his creations... and Happy is an understatement.

Jeff Norwell

More Tray images......

Jeff Norwell

So while that tray was being finalized..I needed to make the 1/4 window lower panels and trunk area panel..... along with a package, parcel tray panel.
Using material supplied from Jesse my upholstery guy..I again made a rough paper template..... then cardboard templates.. then once satisfied with shape and fitment. the #9 charcoal grey cards were cut and fitted.
I had some 57 Fairlane quarter window rubber seals which topped of the ridge of the exposed parcel tray and trunk piece... 
Kinda finished it nicely.

Speaking of Jesse the interior guy.. he is doing the bench seat now.. making a stock custom seat..... the one I had was a very worn seat covered in 59 material and on backwards..... 
So.. the seat shall be back next week and .... I will install.
Fall is here and the days are hit n miss.I would really like to go for one last long burn before the November rains come......