News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

Look familiar?

As much as the Ford Mystere was a product of the jet age, it was also a product of the atomic era. Its multiple antennae and air scoops made it prepared for whatever whiz-bang devices man had invented or could possibly dream of creating. A telephone, television and button and lever controls gave it a futuristic feel inside. On the outside, its jet-age influence was most visible in its clear-roof canopy, twin jet-plane rear exhaust ports and its long, low stance that made it appear as though it was hovering above this planet or the next. It was a package that George Jetson would have proudly ridden to a day at Spacely Sprockets.

For all of its futurism, the wild Mystere featured traits that would appear on production Fords. The side trim made it to 1955 and '56 Fords and the fins to 1957 Fords. It's easy to picture Junior playing with his Robby the Robot from the back seat while Mom prepared pills for a picnic warmed in the in-car microwave oven.

Although the Mystere swooped into the hearts of showgoers during the late 1954 show season, its subsequent history is a black hole.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ecode70D

Joe
     You have a cool collection of Ford pictures.
Jay

CobraJoe

Thanks Jay, let me know if I start boring you guys.   :deadhorse:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

RICH MUISE

Just keep posting, lol. Lots of guys don't post after pics because it starts cluttering up threads. proof positive..........look at all the clutter I create! Thanks Joe
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

RICH MUISE

Wow,as Jay said, you really DO have some neat Ford pics. I'd never seen that Javelin looking model. Wonder why it never made production, and what year it was. Love the tilt front end.
The dirt racing photo.......really strange surroundings there for a oval dirt track, so maybe something else, like the race up Pikes Peak??
I sure get lost in the old photos.......like realizing the photo of Alcatraz I'm sure couldn't be reproduced because it's all high rises and tourist stuff where the photo was taken from. Ever notice the vast majority of people in the old pics are skinny? And I'm sure it wasn't because we were all going hungry.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Rich, that was the 1968 Ford Techna concept Vehicle ( it was powered by the 427 and looks like it has no A-Pillars!):

Triple-Jointed The Techna, a functional engineering experimental car of the future, unveiled by Ford Motor Co. features new ideas in safety, body and technology.
The Techna, an engineering experimental car with more than 50 new ideas in safety, electronics, powertrain layout, and body and chassis design, has been unveiled by Ford Motor Co. Harold C. MacDonald, engineering vice president, explained the car's doors push straight out instead of swinging on hinges and over all it gives engineers "an opportunity to evaluate innovations realistically and to decide which ones have the most promise for future products"
Source: The Deseret News - Jul 3, 1968

While the 1968 Ford Techna is largely forgotten today, the car may represent one interesting historic first. From what we can gather, this is possibly the first official, published use of the term "concept car" by an American automaker in a technical paper for the SAE, the Society of Automotive Engineers. (Previous Motor City euphemisms included "dream car" and "idea car.") More than the usual styling studio proposal, the Techna was created in part to explore new approaches in engineering, including in vehicle packaging and body construction.
Billed as a full-sized, six-place coupe, the Techna boasted a number of novel construction features, including large, cantilevered doors that moved both out and open for passenger entry and egress.  A tilt-up, one-piece nose assembly (ala Jaguar E-Type) provided ample access to the 427 cubic-inch V8, and included a smaller hatch in the center of the hood for checking fluid levels.

Unlike many of its ilk, the Techna was a fully functional and roadworthy prototype. Home movies show the concept vehicle cruising around the city of Dearborn as Ford engineers try out its various gadgets. The cutaway illustration above shows that the front and rear suspension assemblies were based on the production Galaxie. However, the unit-construction floor pan was of honeycomb steel-panel construction, similar to the aluminum tub of the Ford Mark IV Le Mans racer, while the drivetrain was skewed in the chassis 12 degrees to maximize cabin volume.

I"ll probably catch some flak for saying this but....I think every one was skinny because they worked to get ahead and buy things, not sitting home waiting for the government buy things for them.

Anyways, I'm off my soap box, how about some more "modern" pics:

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe