News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Looking for Frame Rebuild Advice

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-06-29 16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-08-06 07:15
John, I bought the 1" Quickor bar. The stock '57 bar attaches to the car at the lower control arms only, it is not bolted to the frame at all. I don't believe it functions very well as an anti roll bar the way it is designed. The Concours bar and the Quickor bar both bolt to the frame and both connect to the the same spot on the lower control arm using a typical sway bar link/bushings. The Concours bar bolts to brackets that come with the kit that bolt to the bumper brackets. The bar runs outside the frame rails back to the control arms. At full lock, wheel back spacing is limited to around 3.75" as I understand it. This may vary from bar to bar. Also since rack and pinion steering reduces the turning radius this may be a moot point if you plan on using R&P. The Quickor bar mounts directly to the frame using stock brackets which must be purchased separately. It passes between the frame and the lower control arm in the stock '59 (and later) location. Wheel tire clearance is not an issue. I have not mounted mine as yet, I am swapping out my engine now and will install it once the engine is out of the car. I think the Quickor bar offers more roll resistance, more ground clearance and more wheel/tire options. It is more difficult to install but that should not be an issue on a "frame off" job.
Lynn
Your description of the installation of the Quickor Front Sway bar, makes me think that since I'm starting from a bare frame, that if I obtained a pair of '59 Lower Control Arms, it would make the Quickor Front Sway Bar installation much easier. To my knowledge, the lower control arm bushings are the same for '57-'59. So there is no problem with the bushings and the '59 control arm. The ball joints I've bought are the Moogs discussed here on the Forum, that will work with a little trimming and slotting of the mounting holes. Am I overlooking something? I readily admit, that I do not know the differences between the '57 and the '59 lower control arms, but I'm led to believe that they are interchangeable. If in fact they are, would that swap make the installation of the Quickor Front Bar less painful?
Please tell me what you think.
Thanks
John

lalessi1

It is funny you brought the lower control arms up. I have been doing "research" on the same subject. My thought was perhaps the 59 lower control arms were different. I looked in the "1949-1959 Ford Passenger Car Parts Manuals" that was published originally in 1964. The book gives a single part number that supercedes all others for 57-59 lower control arms (C1AZ 3078-B & C1AZ 3079-A; right and left). Interesting enough this is a 1961 part number and the original part was superceded in 7/61. That tells me that there would be nothing to gain by getting a pair of 59 lower control arms since apparantly they are the same. I am collecting parts to completely rebuild my front end now so I really won't know how the bar clearances will work out for a while. Looking at the bar and how it pivots it looks like the clearance from the bar to the lower control arms will increase as the car gets to ride height, bear in mind, I positioned the bar with no engine in the car. I plan on replacing the lower control arm bushings and positioning the bar without the springs, control arms on the car. If I knew someone with a '59 I would try to get a measurement on the bar-to-frame clamp location.

I did buy '59 upper control arms, they use a Hex shaped bushing that is essentially metal on metal. I really don't care for the rubber bushings and I am looking at using custom polyurethane for the lower control arms. I may buy lower control arms to facilitate that process...if I do I will try to find 59-61 ones.... How is that for confusing?
Lynn

thomasso

Thomasso here;  My car is An E Code Sunliner so I couldn't change anything.  Sure wanted to reweld  the upper rear shock brackets but didn't.  They are prone to breaking off because of poor welding.  I have a Technical Service Bulletin from the era that talks about dealer rewelding.  A couple of aftermarket mfgs. made repairs parts for them.  I have a pair of u-bolt type if anyone needs some.  Tom
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-10-27 18:36
It is funny you brought the lower control arms up. I have been doing "research" on the same subject. My thought was perhaps the 59 lower control arms were different. I looked in the "1949-1959 Ford Passenger Car Parts Manuals" that was published originally in 1964. The book gives a single part number that supercedes all others for 57-59 lower control arms (C1AZ 3078-B & C1AZ 3079-A; right and left). Interesting enough this is a 1961 part number and the original part was superceded in 7/61. That tells me that there would be nothing to gain by getting a pair of 59 lower control arms since apparently they are the same. I am collecting parts to completely rebuild my front end now so I really won't know how the bar clearances will work out for a while. Looking at the bar and how it pivots it looks like the clearance from the bar to the lower control arms will increase as the car gets to ride height, bear in mind, I positioned the bar with no engine in the car. I plan on replacing the lower control arm bushings and positioning the bar without the springs, control arms on the car. If I knew someone with a '59 I would try to get a measurement on the bar-to-frame clamp location.

I did buy '59 upper control arms, they use a Hex shaped bushing that is essentially metal on metal. I really don't care for the rubber bushings and I am looking at using custom polyurethane for the lower control arms. I may buy lower control arms to facilitate that process...if I do I will try to find 59-61 ones.... How is that for confusing?
Lynn.........thanks for the information. I bought a pair of '58-'59 upper control arms as well, for the same reason. If the weather holds this weekend, I'm going to an old junk yard that has several, '58's and '59's, so I might be able to get a look at the lower control arms and see first hand how the '59 front sway bar mounts. I'm grinding and welding on the frame presently, so I'm still a little ways away from beginning reassembly. I also thought about installing or positioning the sway bar with out the coils installed. I've got the frame on a rotisserie, so working on both sides of the frame / control arms will be easier...........I think. I'll put off buying a front sway bar until it is time to install it. Perhaps you'll have yours buttoned up by then and can walk me through it.
Thanks
John 

lalessi1

If you get a chance to check out a '59, pics and measurements please....
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-10-28 07:51
If you get a chance to check out a '59, pics and measurements please....
Lynn..........exactly what do you want photos of and what measurements do you want.........assuming I can get under one of these cars Saturday.
John

hiball3985

Somewhere I'm missing the point of looking for 59's, they should be just like the 57? The only difference may be the style of rubber bump stops, don't know what the 59 used, even some 57's used two different ones from what I have seen.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-10-29 04:23
Lynn..........exactly what do you want photos of and what measurements do you want.........assuming I can get under one of these cars Saturday.
John

What I would like to know is the location of the brackets on the frame that hold the swaybar, a measurement from the front edge along the frame to the bolt holes would be perfect and a photo of where it is relative to the center of the frame. Don't forget you will need the brackets for the Quickor bar if you go that route. If the price is reasonable I would buy the stock bar for comparison purposes as well.

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-10-29 07:22
Somewhere I'm missing the point of looking for 59's, they should be just like the 57? The only difference may be the style of rubber bump stops, don't know what the 59 used, even some 57's used two different ones from what I have seen.

If you are talking about the lower control arms, there is some confusion....they will interchange but there are differences especially with regards to steering stop and sway bar attachment points. This wrecking yard is selling A-arms on eBay with a big caveat on fitment..."NOTE: Hollander interchange shows the above listed vehicles as using the same control arm; HOWEVER, we have found that there are at least three variations relating to the steering stop (some have and some do not have) and the mounting hardware for the sway bar." I also think the ball joint holes vary.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-1959-1960-1961-1962-FORD-LOWER-CONTROL-A-ARM-Right-FRONT-/331317216237?fits=Year%3A1959%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item4d240b83ed:m:mqm4eNJfBDun2mAks7VNMLg&vxp=mtr

Lynn

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-10-29 07:22
I'm lost right along with you, Jim. I guess it's the same, but different? Maybe just the mounting area/hardware for the sway bar is different.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-10-29 10:10
I'm lost right along with you, Jim. I guess it's the same, but different? Maybe just the mounting area/hardware for the sway bar is different.
I was thinking the same about the sway bar if you were using the original. One A arm on mine wasn't a 57, it had been replaced sometime in the past but I don't know what year it was from but the difference was minor, I think it had the steering stop. I replaced it with a 57 and I don't know if it's still in my junk pile or I scrapped it, if I find it I will check it out closer.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Mine are original, and have one steering stop on the driver's side.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-10-29 11:00
Mine are original, and have one steering stop on the driver's side.
I didn't use either one that came on my car, I had two originals from years ago that I rebuilt and it didn't have the stop, I've heard that some did and some didn't. Maybe they were added at a later production date?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

What I was thinking was perhaps the contours were a little different on '59s' and later to give more clearance for the later frame mounted swaybars as opposed to the '57s' A-arm mounted one. Don't fret though, this is all clear as mud in my head. I really have concluded that any of these A-arms can be made to work with the frame mounted swaybar. Just wish I could actually look at a '59 with the bar on it.
Lynn

gasman826

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2015-10-29 19:29
https://www.google.com/search?q=1959+ford+sway+bars&biw=1280&bih=929&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEIQsARqFQoTCNfehu326MgCFcdIJgodj5wAEA#tbm=isch&q=1959+ford+sway+bar+picture&imgrc=G2-Clegjp3nXoM%3A

I've used '59 lower control arms on a '57 frame.  Stops might have been different but used the same ball joint.  OEM and PST '57 sway bar fit fine.
Thanks for that Link. I now see the difference in the way a '59 sway bar mounts.