News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2016-10-27 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Normally, I prefer 2 tone paint on older cars that have enough side trim to provide a break between the colors, but that thing looks so sinister in solid block! And I guess it is the "old guy" in me, but nothing looks better than nice shiny chrome bumpers, especially on a black car. And finally, that Thunderbird hood scoop looks perfect on there, I sure there was more than a few minutes of work to make it look so perfect, especially on a black car.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Jeff Norwell

Randy. the tire set up is...
front-205/75r15
rear-235/75r15

I like it because of the rubber rake....it works for me.

Rory- I have to agree with your thoughts.... but I wanted an all black sinister looking 57. and it fits the bill.
I will be installing the side trim(custom) this week(need to friends to help me do this..).... which I think will give the pop it needs.. along with the window trim(after the headliner is in)
To be totally honest.I wanted to go with a black/white split,... Identical to Lynns car. His car is a big favourite of mine.
The T-Bird scoop was a piece I love.. its styling goes with the era in my opinion.
Funny enough, the T-Bird scoop was a cut out from an original(I did not cut up an original... bought it that way)..... and it still retained the back lip from the original hood.So when I was placing it on my 57 hood. the rear lip set upon the 57 hood rear lip and its where it wanted to be.... any further forward. it started to look wonky.

I do have a complete stock 57 extra hood that was painted 2 years back.. And if I care too (probably not) I can switch up hoods.

Thanks fellas...I will continue to push forward... and unless any unforeseen issues come up... I want to be on the road at the end of May.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

rmk57

Jeff you're going to appreciate to extra length on the shocks if you ever have change a tire. I have 235/70/15's and had to Jack it on the frame to get a wheel off. With the stock length 57 shocks it was a real struggle to get past the fender lip and brake drum.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Randy,When I building my 59, even with the rear shocks removed, it was almost impossible for me to get the 275/60R15 tires, on 15x8 steel wheels, during "mock up". Since I was going to get the rearend narrowed 3/4" per side, and having custom 31 spline axles made, I had late Torino ends welded on, and went to 10" drum rear brakes, from a mid 90s Explorer. Now, even with the big tires, I can get the tires on and off without having to disconnect the rear shocks, or let air out of the tires. And, although the Explorer rear drum brakes are an inch smaller diameter, the are 2 1/2" wide, compared to 1 3/4" x 11' for the stock brakes, so the 10" brakes actually have more surface area.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: rmk57 on 2023-04-04 12:11Jeff you're going to appreciate to extra length on the shocks if you ever have change a tire. I have 235/70/15's and had to Jack it on the frame to get a wheel off. With the stock length 57 shocks it was a real struggle to get past the fender lip and brake drum.
Yes... those 56 shocks are going to work very well Randy.

Wirenut

Love the black, looks like a super straight car and fitment. Can't wait to see the build progresssion photos.
Now where is that scripture? The book of Norwell Chapter 3 verse 16?

FiveSevenLiter

Is it finished yet, you have had it home a week?
Terry
 :canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

CobraJoe

Looking awesome Jeff!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell

So.. all vent windows installed and repaired(thanks to Ford Blue Bloods ingenues idea....)Run channels installed and now putting side glass in...its a real PIA.
Side trim on polished up and secured.
I need the headliner installed,... then front and rear glass with the stainless....
after that... Tune..... and DRIVE IT.
I will be doing the interior.but it will be coming this summer.

I have my Business mans rear tray being made right now..... and it will be 95% close to an original....
I will mention this.. if anyone is interested..My friend Rob that is making the tray..... (VERY talented metal guy) will have 2-5 made for possible sale if interest can be garnered.
I will update that in the future.I have no idea of cost..... but we shall see.

Anyhow.... this is a useless post with out pics.

Jeff Norwell

more.....

mustang6984

Lookin' good Jeff! REAL good!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Stunning ! Beautiful !

CobraJoe

SINISTER!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Jeff Norwell

Well.. been moving forward. a bit of a slower pace, but thats just life...
My interior pal, Jesse came by and did the headliner and Wind Lace this past weekend....
When time and $$$$ permits I will finish the seat, and door panels, etc,etc..... Its more important at this point to drive this car.
all I have left is the front, rear and fixed quarter glass installation.

Pics from Jesse's start to finish.
I will say,... its a job I would NEVER attempt due to the fact I have zero experience. Steamers ,special cut n tuck tools and 20 years+ experience  truly helps....
he took more time installing the wind lace than the head liner itself.I was very impressed with Jesse's skill.
Truth be told..I think he was bored installing a stock headliner..... hahaha but knocked out of the park.