News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveSevenLiter

1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

RICH MUISE

Here's a facebook link to the show I attended last FRiday/Saturday. these pics are better than mine, but I'll post later.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2180536042116104&set=pcb.2180536185449423
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Marc

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2022-09-19 11:44Here is some interesting post-57 history.

That was an interesting article. I've never been a fan of the 58's. To me they've always looked like a half-assed attempt to improve on an already great design. The photos in the article of the designs that didn't make it look even worse than what they eventually built for 58, in my opinion.
Part of the problem I think was the move to the 4-headlight design. There's not really any way to make 4 headlights look good on the front end of a 57, which was clearly designed for two headlights. Obviously with the 57 being a complete redesign, it was too early for another complete redesign so they did the best they could with what they had to work with. I'm sure they didn't want to be the only major automaker not offering 4 headlights for 58.
Having said that I've always thought the 59 was a very handsome design. Not radically different from the 57, but they finally made the changes to the front end needed to make 4-headlights look good, and thankfully brought back the big old round tail lights.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

abe_lugo

Hey hey there?!!!
822A14B5-1497-484B-B806-89A9F65B5F5D.jpeg
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Marc

No offense meant Abe!
Are those Chrysler headlight buckets?

Jeff Norwell

I really like 58 Fords..... but in the past... everyone I have known, never liked them.I truly liked the small things about them. the inverted creases on the front fenders... the ribbed roof....  and of course..... the introduction of the FE.
When I look at a 58 chevy.... I find them truly ugly.Fat, bulbous .. like a fat kid wearing loud stripes.The 58 Chevy looks ugly, where as a 58 Ford is more leaner in its look.
My favourite 58 is a Ranchero..... more than anything.
I feel the biggest poor point on a 58 Ford is the rear tail lights... the final design looks like they just ran out of time to come up with the final design.I guess thats why a 58 Ranchero is a favourite of mine.
I am in the minority..But I love the dual headlights on a 58 Ford.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

CobraJoe

IDK, ....then there's just plain ugly

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

RICH MUISE

I don't know about them being ugly, but sure don't see the reasoning to change from the single headlight design.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

I  think it is like everything else, even back then, people wanted to be different.

I bought the car because of the rear bumpers and valence, knowing that I would change them back to single lights. I was told it was a J.C. Whitney conversion piece when I purchased the car,  but that's another story....

gasman826

First time on the ground.  A long ways to go but a big deal to me!

CobraJoe

Nice, '41 Ford Coupe?

gasman826

Yes, '41 Ford Business Coupe...small door.  SW Racing frame, 427FE side oiler, bored and stroked, 2x4s on Tunnel Wedge intake, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 4.11 Detroit Locker on four link.  Lots of fun stuff so far.

CobraJoe

Very nice; looks bad ass with the big sneakers under the quarter panels.

rmk57

Quote from: gasman826 on 2022-09-20 16:01Yes, '41 Ford Business Coupe...small door.  SW Racing frame, 427FE side oiler, bored and stroked, 2x4s on Tunnel Wedge intake, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 4.11 Detroit Locker on four link.  Lots of fun stuff so far.

Didnt you have a SOHC for that project?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429