News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

quote myself: "I honestly had no idea I could add an idiot light so easily" I have to rewrite that.......I was an idiot for thinking I could install a light so easily. I guess it's aptly named. I Got the first sender delivered. No instructions, but the two terminals were identified, one with WK, the other clearly "G". I had no idea what WK could stand for, but G is always gonna be ground. Right???!!! wrong.  I knew the range was wrong, so I was expecting the readings to be off, but I would have the temp. idiot light @ 16psi, so I decided to install it while I was waiting for the correct one to come in. Nada. After I pulled the sender back out, I did some checking and found out the "G" terminal was suppose to be marked "S" for signal. I guess it's understandable, after all, I wouldn't know one Chinese letter/sybol from another.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

G is the gauge terminal, WK is the warning light and the sender acts as the ground. I had VDO gauges in a boat and that's how they were marked. Guenther may be able to help, I believe "WK" is "Wahrning Kontraption" in German.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Thanks for that info, I later figured out the G must have meant Gauge, not ground. Now I know, and will probably forget if it comes around again. My new sender is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I did a little checking, and all the 0-100psi gauges I looked at all use the same 240-33 OHMS range, so maybe I'll have something that works.

FiveSevenLiter

1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

lalessi1

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2024-09-02 16:45G is the gauge terminal, WK is the warning light and the sender acts as the ground. I had VDO gauges in a boat and that's how they were marked. Guenther may be able to help, I believe "WK" is "Wahrning Kontraption" in German.

I love it!!! Everything on a car should have a "WARNING CONTRAPTION" label!
Lynn

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Did a 520 mile trip in it yesterday and today. Car ran awesome, and the oil gauge worked just as it should. Only issue I have with this particular sender, is my car idles as low as 500 rpm, and when it's at normal operating temperature, the oil pressure will drop to about 15 at that idle speed. The "low pressure trigger" on the sender I put in is set for 20psi, so the light comes on at idle. Sometime after I get over being tired of fidling with it, I'll check to see if I can find a sender with a lower trigger psi.

CobraJoe

What weight oil are you running Rich?

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

5-30 Mobil 1. I think I may go to 10-30 next oil change, which won't be for a while. Any other suggestions? It will go to 90ish on cold start-up, runs about 40-45psi  at 2-2500rpm after reaching normal operating temp.

lalessi1

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2024-09-15 09:085-30 Mobil 1. I think I may go to 10-30 next oil change, which won't be for a while. Any other suggestions? It will go to 90ish on cold start-up, runs about 40psi  at 2500rpm after reaching normal operating temp.

I think that will do it! My hot oil pressure dropped at least 10 psi at idle by dropping the oil wt.
Lynn

CobraJoe

Weight will do it; I run Valvoline 20-50 VR1 in most of my older cars

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Thanks Lynn, Joe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2024-09-15 14:06Weight will do it; I run Valvoline 20-50 VR1 in most of my older cars

What Joe said X2

CobraJoe

I like the High Zinc too with the flat tappet camshafts.

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

They tried again; they are not going to stop until they get him; what a phucking shame  😢  :blowup1:
ANOTHER ATTEMPT ON TRUMP

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,