News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairlane62

FiveSevenLiter

When a guy opens his hood and I see 'other' engines I asked 'why were you afraid to go fast'.

Those Edsel lights look good on an Edsel.  Plus they should be reversed so the arrow is pointing out.

"You build em, we'll rip them apart"

1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

CobraJoe

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2024-09-25 12:00When a guy opens his hood and I see 'other' engines I asked 'why were you afraid to go fast'.

I don't know how true it is, but when I was younger, I asked why they would put a SBC in a Ford? I was told it was because the SBF V8's had front sumps that wouldn't clear the straight axles that everyone was running back in the day.

When I was a little older, I asked the same question and was told that Chevy's were so much cheaper to build because the only had two engine families; Big Blocks & Small Blocks.

Around here, I was one of the few oddball Ford guys.  :old:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Ford Blue blood

I guess you could say I am an oddball Ford guy!  My 36 Chevy has a 351C/FMX/8"/MII !
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Fairlane62

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on Yesterday at 08:02I guess you could say I am an oddball Ford guy!  My 36 Chevy has a 351C/FMX/8"/MII !

I like it.  Your not afraid to go fast, and you'd rather have a dependable motor.

57chero

Curious what kind of remarks you get when somebody walks by and looks under the hood, I saw an add from Lokar that makes a kit to disguise an Ls Chevy into an FE Ford, what will they think of next.

lalessi1

A couple or (a few) years ago the Roadster Shop built a HIGH end Custom for a Mississippi man. They  pulled out a 406 and put an LS in the car and put a kit like that on it. I CRIED!!!!!

https://roadstershop.com/galleries/georges-1957-ford/
Lynn

FiveSevenLiter

Quote from: 57chero on Yesterday at 11:11Curious what kind of remarks you get when somebody walks by and looks under the hood, I saw an add from Lokar that makes a kit to disguise an Ls Chevy into an FE Ford, what will they think of next.

One guy looked at my Windsor and three times said this truck is custom, I was ignoring him and then asked what he meant, smiling he said he thought they all came with SBC's,  If you check the history books, a lot of early hot rods had 289's, then the Kool Aid came out and the BS ramped up.  They are cheaper, they are easier to tune up, fit better, the list is long.  And to answer your question, I get a lot of thank you's.
Terry
T/F
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

djfordmanjack

Front sump on SBF, yes. may be true, but truck oil pans and pumps are not that hard to find. same goes for Y blocks. Truck pan and you good. oil pump and filter may get in the way of steering boxes on early cars.
Personally I don't like Y blocks in early Ford V8s (pre 38). Y block works better for 'custom' style full fender and later cars.
I have a 302 in my 34 model 40 sedan. 2.47 8.8" posi rear it will run @ 100mph all day long.

I always bother my friend to sell me his '55 2 doors 210 wagon, because I want to put a Flathead or y block in it. I need a new winter car, for salty roads.... :003:

djfordmanjack

Lynn, the photo documentation of the build is really good, but..... :deadhorse:

....the fake distributor makes me want to throw up, really.....

Quote from: lalessi1 on Yesterday at 12:06A couple or (a few) years ago the Roadster Shop built a HIGH end Custom for a Mississippi man. They  pulled out a 406 and put an LS in the car and put a kit like that on it. I CRIED!!!!!

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Tom S

With a little help from him I put a 351 Windsor in a guys Chev Luv truck years ago.  :003:
I think my '63 Ford powered Roadster ought to be in this thread. Stock 3 deuce 406 right down to the generator. I wanna put some Torque Thrust style 5 spoke wheels on it.

25th SHINE 11 & 12.jpg

Fairlane62

Quote from: lalessi1 on Yesterday at 12:06A couple or (a few) years ago the Roadster Shop built a HIGH end Custom for a Mississippi man. They  pulled out a 406 and put an LS in the car and put a kit like that on it. I CRIED!!!!!

I guess they even realize that the LS is an ugly motor.
Chevy took a Y-Block configuration, used a Windsor port layout, utilized the port pinch from Cleveland for better flow but still came up with an ugly engine.  :003:

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,