News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

This is when I envy guys with lifts...I was out crawling under my car struggling with trying to use the floor jack to hold up the tranny so I can get both the pan off and the crossmember. One or the other wouldn't be bad, but my crossmember has got to come out to get to the last fluid pan bolts anyway. I've actually got one jack under the bellhousing and one under the tailshaft...not much room left for me under there.
I picked up 10 qts of fluid..should be enough if the torque converter didin't drain...
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Well that turned out to be a messy job..lol. I did get the pan out and the new filter put in. I elected to reuse the "designed to be reuseable" seal that was on the pan rather than the new one I had bought. The oem one is made much better with rubber and steel, whereas the new one was just a die cut piece of rubber. Less chance of distorting the pan with the steel grommets at each hole on the oem seal. I've got to go pick up a long funnel to get the tranny fluid in. I'm going to try and rework the crossmember e-brake bracket today and get that back in before I leave for the weekend.

hiball3985

I feel your pain with using a floor jack, I'm in the same boat and now it is starting to leak a little, I bought it in the 70's and it has been a work horse all these years. Every year is getting harder and harder crawling under.. I'll be pulling the trans soon to change the tail shaft bushing and not looking forward to it again.. This will be the third trans pull  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I did find some info on the tpi-tech water temp gage, sending unit, and apparently I have the wrong one on order...the info I found from a gage repair shop says it's "probably 450-29.6 ohms..the standard for us gages". One thing to look for at the Denver swap meet this weekend.

RICH MUISE

Today was the day I've been waiting for a long long time!!....No, I still didin't get the engine started, BUT>>>>I did get to hook up the battery cables, and I did get to turn the key. I love the sound of a starter kicking in. Yahooooooo. This may not seem like a big deal for most of you, but for me it was huge having never wired a car before. With the new chassis harness and the 97 Mustang steering column and all the associated stuff like the Mustang ignition switch, I was looking at hearing the starter kick in as passing a huge milestone. I also found out my hazard lights work...lol...I couldn't figure out what the ticking sound was until I walked around the back of the car to have a look at the other side....and my tailights were just doing a perfect flashing cycle. Cool, I guess that's a good indication of the multifunction switch wiring on the steering column, and the wiring/grounding of my tailights. I also know the check engine light works when I turn the key on.
I so happy! Tommorrow I'll fill the coolant (I did get a new temp sensor put in), get some gas and turn on the fuel pump and see what happens.

RICH MUISE

Almost forgot....I think I do have one problem though, I put the rear end up off the ground on jack stands. I can turn my back wheels by hand, but the driveshaft doesn't turn at all. It's kinda got me confused really, I mean how can the wheels turn without the driveshaft turning. This is not an unknown rear end,btw...it was a driver until I took it apart.

canadian_ranchero

was the car in park?if it was the drive shaft would not turn. but the wheels would,one forward and the other backward[the spider gears are turning]this is only true for non posi diffs

RICH MUISE

The car was in park, and that was exactly what the back wheels were doing...one forward, one backwards..OK you started my day off good, I guess this is normal. Thanks. It's amazing the simple things I find out I never knew.

r stewart

I have a 1957 ford fairlane 500 and I'm putting a 1999 mustang cobra motor ( 4.6 doch modular motor) I need help on the pedal set up. My motor is a 5 speed. I was just wondering what was everyone was using. Thank you for the help.

RICH MUISE

Not sure which pedal your talking about. Mine is an automatic, so no clutchpedal to deal with. If you're talking about the gas pedal, I used the throttle linkage cable and gas pedal from the Mark VIII door car and adapted it to a traditional floor mounted gas pedal. Lots of info on that earlier in this thread.

r stewart

I'm doing a 5 speed,  I was wondering what clutch pedal was being used?

r stewart

Or you could turn me on someone who put a 5 speed in there 57. Thanks

RICH MUISE

Well today should be declared a national holiday! after 10 years, I can turn an ignition key and start an engine! YAHOOO!!
The engine kicked right over and most everything appears to be good. My check engine light comes on when I put the key in the on position, as it should, but goes right out when the engine starts, so it's not throwing any engine codes. I was able to check a few things out....my gages seem to be working..obviously couldn't check the speedometer, but the oil pressure went right to 80, the volts are reading about 13.5, the fuel says a bit less than 1/4 (I put in 5 gals.). the tach seems to be where it should be. I couldn't check the water temp because my small garage fills with fumes fast, so I couldn't leave it running to warm up. The O/D switch on the shifter seems to be working, at least the indicator light I installed goes on and off with the button pushing. All of my dash/console lights are working including the Mark Viii gear position indicator.
The car runs a little rough when the idle speed drops, but I'm assuming that's due to the lack of exaust mufflers...no backpressure.
I've got the radiator and the engine filled with coolant, but haven't been able to leave it running long enough to kick open the thermostat...but so far no leaks there. The oil pan and valve covers that were replaced are not leaking. I did have a leak in the fuel supply line, but that was a fitting that needed some more tightening.
The P/S resevoir,pump, and all the lines to the hydroboost appear to be not leaking except for a small leak at one of the banjo fittings on the hydroboost. I'll tighten that tommorrow. I did notice that the lines to the hydroboost and the hydroboost got very hot within a minute or two. Is that normal?

RICH MUISE

Quote from: r stewart on 2015-02-09 20:19
Or you could turn me on someone who put a 5 speed in there 57. Thanks
The only one I know of that I think has a 5 speed is a member called rlibew. He's not on the forumn too often, I just checked and the last time he logged in was a month ago. I'd send him a personal message and hope he sees it. There are two other members planning on a 4.6 with a 5 speed, but I don't think either of them have actually started the swap yet.

r stewart

Sounds good. Thank you for all the help. I have one more question I got the 95 lincoln fwd front sump oil pan,  What was done with the dip stick,  I think read in one of the forms the dip stick was cut was there any measurements where the dip stick was cut at. Thanks