News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

YES !  :003:
Still running nicely, but I may want to adjust the carb a little, from when I last drove it in November and I slightly increased idle rpms. We had terrific weather already last week (as can be seen in the 'GREEN' effect on the property). We had a weather front coming in and today it's down to 40 degrees again. snow coming on the mountains. But it's only said to last for a few days.
I am really looking forward to our annual seaside trip to Croatia end of May. This time taking the 57CS ! :001:

djfordmanjack

In preparation of the upcoming summer trip, I am starting to drive the 57CS more on a daily basis. Battery is 11 years old and barely holds power to restart after a few weeks, so this is something I will have to replace asap. Honestly getting 11 years out of a conventional car battery is obviously great. It came with my Del Rio.
Had a pretty decent spring Sunday, and I was again able to find a parking lot right in the middle of downtown.

djfordmanjack

a few more pics. Interestingly while parking my 57, across the street a sweet GTV was also backing into a parking spot. Out stepped a friendly couple and we immediately got to talking. He instantly recognized my 57 for what it was, as he had been recently working on a '55 Thunderbird, 292 and all. Turns out he even runs a classic car shop and seems very competent. My son and me had previously seen his  red Alfa several times in the streets, but never got to actually meet him. So this was a nice surprise, obviously we exchanged tel numbers, and will keep in touch for future shows, cruises and such. Always good to meet friendly like minded car people !

RICH MUISE

Looking great, a nice Alfa Romero as well. What vintage?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Great pics as usual! I always wanted a GTV, I settled for an '76 Alfetta I bought new. I loved that car but the mechanical fuel injection never worked right...usual Italian car issues on top of that!
Lynn

djfordmanjack

usual Italian car issues pretty much sums it up ! :003: The owner of the 1976 GTV, Luis, told me his father ran an Alfa dealership back in the 1970s and when the Sud and Alfetta came out, they rusted out as quickly as in the first year, and he told me, his father left Alfa for that very same reason right about the time. Good thing he parted out all the mechanically sound, but rusty used cars he had to take back for rust warranty. He says to this day they have 30+ drive trains and engines to chose from, if they want to rebuild another 'quick' one.  :003:  Needless to say, his one is ported and bored out to the max and it's of course a 2Litre DOHC with Weber carbs. It sounds nasty.

today I did a little maintenance on the engine, and I was having a light gas smell from it lately. Never found any leaks, but upon removing the air cleaner, I think I found the problem. The adjustable float jet has some weird seal washers that seem to have disintegrated from Ethanol fuel. The fuel bowl level was still ok, but obviously leaking somewhat from said seals.

I took a look at the rebuild kit and found double silicone washers, the same size as the seals, so I sandwiched a seal between 2 of them, each and it seems to work nicely.

The problem which I found is, that when you tighten said seals (without silicone washers), they get compressed to the point, where the locking screw ( the big slotted screw on top) will bottom out in the jet assembly, without properly compressing the aging seals.

Sandwiching Teflon washers and gaskets, makes them thicker, the locking screw doesn't twist and  rip the 'soft' seal, and because of the added thickness it won't bottom out.
I will have to check this after a few days, but have a good feeling about it staying put and tight.

Also I set the accelerator pump to the leans or summer setting. I feel it really pumped too much , as exhaust was smoking black on hard launches.