News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

Show car Wildcat 55 Buick

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

That has got to be one of the prettiest cars ever!! Just wow. Not sure I've ever seen it before.
Thanks again Joe for all these neat pics you post.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

My pleasure guys, it's hard finding the time lately, but I try....

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

"Between 1953 and 1955, General Motors built three Wildcat dream cars for the Motorama show car circuit: the original Wildcat I of 1953, the radical Wildcat II, and the Wildcat III for 1955. In an interesting turn, the final car in the series was actually the most practical and viable for production. While the Wildcat III never made it to the showrooms, of course, some of its styling themes were soon to appear on Buick production models.

Like many of the GM Motorama dream cars, the Wildcat III was constructed with a fiberglass body, here mounted on a shortened Buick chassis with a 110-inch wheelbase. The 322 CID Nailhead V8 was souped up to 280 hp with a four-carburetor intake setup, while the Twin Turbine Dynaflow automatic transmission boasted a sporty floor-mounted shift lever. At 190 inches overall, the Wildcat III was large for a sports car but rather petite for a Buick. Reportedly, designers referred to it as the "toy convertible". The finish was a flamboyant lipstick color called Kimberly Red.

In a departure from the rest of the GM Motorama dream roadsters, the Wildcat III boasted a rear seat to provide room for four. The red leather bucket seats in front swiveled for easy entry and exit, and a glamorous four-dial chrome instrument cluster filled the dash. One novel body feature was the clamshell trunk opening, in which the deck lid and the tops of the quarter panels hinged upward as a unit. The shut lines are just visible in the photo above.

While it's doubtful there was ever any real production intent behind the Wildcat III, we can see that several of its major styling elements made it to prime time, including the dramatic checkmark side trim (below), a signature feature on Buick's 1957 production models. And of course, the Wildcat name, just the name, became an official part of the Buick model line in 1964, where it remained through 1970.

What became of the Wildcat III once its show career was over is unclear. One story suggests it was used to test a new vehicle compactor at a local Detroit junkyard. Another says the car was given to a Hollywood actress, which seems unlikely in that it hasn't been seen in the decades since. According to the expert historians at the General Motors Heritage Center, the car was indeed ordered destroyed, but it seems there is no documented confirmation that this ever took place. So while the odds may be slim, it's possible that the Wildcat III is tucked away somewhere, waiting to be rediscovered."

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Ford Blue blood

Many of the early concept cars were destined to be crushed.  Thank goodness some were in fact kept hiding in plain sight.  Much like the "Italean" a fast back 63 Bird that started life as a 62 convertible.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

Always liked the space-age looks of the 61-63 Sport Roadster. Was this a Ford produced option or was it an aftermarket ad-on?

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Ford factory option
There was one at the NSRA in Alburquerque last weekend

Ford Blue blood

The cover was standard for the Sport Roadster.  Easy to add to any rag top and offered by dealers as an add on.  I do not believe a person could order a Bird from the factory with the cover and not be a Sport Roadster.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Ouch.....any idea what the arrow is pointing to? Looks like a boot.

CobraJoe

Sorry, no idea.....

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

a good weekend, getting closer; too bad it get's dark so early, cuts my after work time short.....

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,