News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My '57 Ranchero build in pictures

Started by dmkberger, 2018-01-07 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

After you resize a pic you would sometimes want to change the file size. That's what you might need to do in order to post up to 4 pix per post here without exceeding the 4000kb limit.

Click FILE, & select SAVE (original folder).
A menu comes up where you can type in a file size & check it's box. I usually don't want to pick a file size smaller than 1/2 of the original file size.  You will see the file size of any pic just by holding your cursor on their thumbnails.

It's sometimes a good idea to keep a copy of of the original pic in case you pick a file size too small & it distorts the pic.
Right click on a thumbnail, select copy, hold cursor in the blank space between the thumbnails, right click again & select paste.   
Play around with some of the different menus & try stuff out.
You do have thumbnails showing, right?

dmkberger

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-01-01 21:50
I hope you downloaded all the plugins.  Here are a couple tips to start with that might help you. My 'puter keeps freezing up so I'll try to get more info for you as best I can.
I am using Windows 10 on my 'puter. I am trying to learn a bit about the irfanview. What are the plug ins you speak of??? My kid has a "smart phone" and speaks of plug ins and aps.
I have refused to go to a smart phone and have little knowledge of the workings of such things. Remember, I am old and I am trying to keep my world sized where it is now...
I have a meeting this evening and will try again tomorrow after noon sometime. Lot's going on with my buddies car and several other cars I am helping out on.
Thanks for your help. Maybe I will be able to grasp this before the weekend!! :icon_scratch:
Take offs are optional, Landings are mandatory.

Tom S

dmkberger

Tom, I have tried, unsuccessfully I might add to use the irfanview. I just don't know how to navigate around to get to what I need to do. I keep trying, but as of this afternoon, no luck yet.

Tom S

Quote from: dmkberger on 2019-01-15 19:00
.... I just don't know how to navigate around to get to what I need to do.
Did you download the plugins?  Exactly what are you trying to do that's not working?
A while back I marked up in red text some steps to get you started here.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7305.msg67305#msg67305
If you have the pix opening up in Irfanview those steps should work towards getting you started. Remember, after you resize them you gotta save them that way or they stay at the same file size.  That's an easy mistake to make.
Do you have a specific question I can reply to to help you?

dmkberger

I am trying to resize the pictures to download to the forum. I can get the picture up and I think I have it or them re-sized, but I can't find them once I have saved them. Where do they go? I am NOT computer savvy by any means. I just have to figure out where they go once I re-size them. Like I say, I am working on it, so in the mean time I just keep workin' on the car and takin' pictures, so one day I can post the results!!! :felix:

Tom S

Quote from: dmkberger on 2019-01-15 22:24
I am trying to resize the pictures to download to the forum. I can get the picture up and I think I have it or them re-sized, but I can't find them once I have saved them. Where do they go?
Well, first ya gotta pay attention to where it says you are saving them. If you name them you can usually find them by typing in that name in the start menu in the 'search files & folders' space. I'm using the Firefox browser, what are you on, Internet Explorer?  Hope you are not on AOL, it sucks big time.
Anyway here's what I do.
Open the pic.
Click on 'image' in the tool bar at the top of the screen.
Scroll down & click on 'Resize/Resample' & set the pic size at 1024x768
Click on 'File' at upper left.
In the drop down menu click on 'save (original folder)'
You should then see the JPEG/GIF save options as shown in the pic below.  You can see that I have set a file size of 75 & checked the box.
At this time if you want to save your original pic at it's original size then you need to add a number at the end of it's name or it will overwrite your original. If you still have the original pic on your camera you don't have to do that.
At the bottom right click on 'save' & your pic should end up in the same folder it came from.
Keep in mind that your pix need to be in the JPG/JPEG format.
I think I have those steps right. Let me know how this works for you or what happens.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Tom, what you just said switched the light on for me..............I think I just figured out what his issue is. Last year, when I was having problems finding pics, I finally realized there are two ways of opening pics when you use Windows 10 and have a browser like firefox. I think the one I was trying to use is probably hosted by the browser (I use Firefox as well), and that was causing the problems I just read that DK is having. If you remember I stated that there seemed to be TWO filing systems, one having a mind of it's own, lol. If you go to your pics with the browser, and the pics are right clicked, you are not given the options of what to open them with, and if you do resize, they get moved to who knows where. If they are opened with Windows, you can resize by right clicking and choosing "open with"........"Paint", and it just puts them back where they were after saving.

So, I will restate that there is no need for hosting programs, that Windows has everything you need to resize easily and be able to find them easily after the resizing. I wish I knew how to post pics of window screens like Tom and Joe are doing, but I don't, so it'll have to be a verbal discription. You just need to open the pictures with Windows and not the browser, and here's the way to do that............
DK, at the bottom left corner of your screen is the Windows icon. click on it. If you are using the popular Firefox, that opened up a big colorful menu with lots of things to chose from, one of them being photos. I'm guessing that was how you were opening the photos. Don't open them from that big menu. After you clicked on the Windows icon in the corner, also appearing, but not all that noticeable, is a row of small icons directly above that windows button. The middle one is the Windows pictures files you want to open.
Now you should be able to open your pics folders, hover over the pic you want and right click. The menu that opens has an "open with". click on that and choose "Paint". When the photo opens up, up at the top left is a resize option. Click on that and chose percentage option. I use 50% normally. It will automatically resize it length and width equally. after resizing, and close the window. When you hit the close X button, a pop up will ask if you want to save. clicking yes will save the new sizeed pic right where it was. clicking save as will save the original size, and save the new size right next to it in the folder.
Be aware when you reduce a picture by percentage, you are reducing it both length and height, so for example if you chose 50%, the picture will end up being 1/4 the original size.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Just thinking out loud because I'm not savoy enough as to how sites work, but the other three sites I post pictures on automatically resize the pictures and you don't have to jump through all these hoops.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-01-16 07:00
...I wish I knew how to post pics of window screens like Tom and Joe are doing ...
Don't you have a keyboard with a 'Print screen' button?
Hit that & it saves in the clipboard. Open with a photo program  or even your MS Paint & hit paste..  Name & save the pic in your pic file.
As far as resizing pix with Paint, yes you can do it that way but that changes the size of the pic & will make the file size smaller  but I've often had to make the file size smaller again with Irfanview after doing that. So it's not always that great of an option.
I don't quite understand what you mean by opening the pictures with Windows.  I don't have Windows 10.  No Windows icon at the bottom of the screen.  But I do have a icon there that looks like a manila folder. It is the Windows Explorer folder.  Maybe works the same way as your Windows icon.   

I'm afraid we're just gonna get dmkberger more confused with other programs like Cobra Joe's that I'm pretty sure work the same as Infranview. I ain't shillin' for Irfanvew since I know there are several  that do the same things.  It's just the one I've used for decades now & it's never let me down.  MS Paint sure wont do a lot of the neat stuff these photo programs can do.
Maybe dmkberger just needs to spend a lot more time on this & playing with some of the prompts & reading the menus.
It's not always easy explaining this stuff the right way & it all takes a lot of time.

RICH MUISE

No, try clicking on the windows icon (looks like a 4 color flag in sphere) to the left of the explorer icon you pointed to and see what it brings up with your system. On windows 10 it shows a pictures icon that goes to the picture files without using the browser.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-01-17 00:07
No, try clicking on the windows icon (looks like a 4 color flag in sphere) to the left of the explorer icon you pointed to and see what it brings up with your system. On windows 10 it shows a pictures icon that goes to the picture files without using the browser.
That's the start menu. Hold the cursor over mine & it says start. Here I've right clicked on one item. You can see that items can be removed or added to that menu.
I've never used a browser to go to pic files & not sure what you mean or how that works.
What about that keyboard 'Print Screen' button?  Got one?

dmkberger

And, I'll try it again. I've been looking at what I have and what Tom shows on his screen. Mine doesn't look like that... I'm still trying, but I think I might have reduced the picture size "my way" with the tools I have, so... Let's see how it turned out!?

dmkberger

Did it work????